• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

And answer me this, why in your WTB for an AF15 7.5 started yesterday you were offering 102K when a 8.0 is currently at 260K ?

At minima, you should now offer 200K+ for a purchase.

This is an interesting post. That wtb thread has been closed. I wonder why?

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Perhaps currently the floor of an 8.0 is 200k. From the bids in this auction, sure seems like three bidders are willing to go that route. Bidders willing to step up to the plate, so they can secure this a copy in a 8.0. Remember in 1990's the White Mountain copy sold for 40K and that was absurd and raised a lot of eyebrows. I've could not predicted this but felt 200k was possible.

+1

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:

Jason, I don't think anyone expected this book to pass 150k (maybe a little past that). It could any of the above things you mentioned. I've not seen anything like this in a Silver Age sale (in this grade range). And one sale does not make a trend. We all need to swallow 2 of those tablets. Will this auction be good for the hobby? We will have to wait and see. :fear:

Good for the seller... :insane:

Was taking this opportunity to check GPA which I have not done for some time...(btw GPA is sadly lacking in many recent sales over the last year etc which is annoying so offers little trending/tracking education)...but was entertained by the following recorded sales...

Curator 9.0 copy sold for 60K June 2007

Ohio 8.5 copy sold for $19.2K Sept 2002

Wonder if those 2 have been "churned" hm or still in the buyer's possession/collection...

34 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

Good for the seller... :insane:

Was taking this opportunity to check GPA which I have not done for some time...(btw GPA is sadly lacking in many recent sales over the last year etc which is annoying so offers little trending/tracking education)...but was entertained by the following recorded sales...

Curator 9.0 copy sold for 60K June 2007

Ohio 8.5 copy sold for $19.2K Sept 2002

Wonder if those 2 have been "churned" hm or still in the buyer's possession/collection...

I remember when the Curator copy was 35k and it sat and sat and sat for the longest. The Curator copy is beautiful.

40 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

Was taking this opportunity to check GPA which I have not done for some time...(btw GPA is sadly lacking in many recent sales over the last year etc which is annoying so offers little trending/tracking education)...

Agreed.

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Do you really think that in terms of percentage valuations they'd be in the same ballpark as we are seeing with AF15 ?

And answer me this, why in your WTB for an AF15 7.5 started yesterday you were offering 102K when a 8.0 is currently at 260K ?

At minima, you should now offer 200K+ for a purchase.

Ah yes, that steaming train ...

I guess what I found interesting about Gotham Kid's question was someone offering 102k for a comic in 7.5 grade , that at an 8.0 grade, is selling for 260K.

Right? I mean, that's what it's selling for 260K, right? That's what all the fuss is about how much a high grade af15 goes for now. 

Offering 102k for comic selling for nearly 260k.

Blah is right.

23 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I guess what I found interesting about Gotham Kid's question was someone offering 102k for a comic in 7.5 grade , that at an 8.0 grade, is selling for 260K.

Right? I mean, that's what it's selling for 260K, right? That's what all the fuss is about how much a high grade af15 goes for now. 

Blah is right.

Drama not needed, i don't thread cra.. On other people's wtb or sales thread. Pretty simple.  Dealt with enough well respected board members on here, like to keep it drama free

Edited by Spiderturtle

45 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Blah is right.

I don't get your point or why you are questioning Spiderturtle on this. He is not "offering 102K for comic selling for nearly 260K". Is it unreasonable to think that an 8.0 is worth 2.5X more than a 7.5? Hulk 181 in 9.8 is worth almost 2.5X more than a 9.6 according to the last GPA sales.( I KNOW apples and oranges but someone brought up Hulk earlier today for comparison with Spidey for popularity/value). If anyone doesn't like his offer or think it's too low they can hang onto their copy or try and get more elsewhere. With some around here thinking that the next 8.0 probably won't get close to 260K, an offer of 102K seems fair if one isn't bullish on AF. I mean how many comics can command 100K? That is a lot of money.

6 hours ago, peewee22 said:

I remember when the Curator copy was 35k and it sat and sat and sat for the longest. The Curator copy is beautiful.

I think the last time I saw the Curator copy was at Pedigree's website if I'm not mistaken.  I believe the grade is a 9.0?  

Apologies to SpiderTurtle. I was out of line.

I do however still consider AF15's very recent growth unhealthy and questionable. I doubt any other comic book, even Action1 or Tec27, are having (or ever had) equivalent % increases in value in such a short time frame.

Edited by Gotham Kid

11 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

I don't get your point or why you are questioning Spiderturtle on this. He is not "offering 102K for comic selling for nearly 260K". Is it unreasonable to think that an 8.0 is worth 2.5X more than a 7.5? Hulk 181 in 9.8 is worth almost 2.5X more than a 9.6 according to the last GPA sales.( I KNOW apples and oranges but someone brought up Hulk earlier today for comparison with Spidey for popularity/value). If anyone doesn't like his offer or think it's too low they can hang onto their copy or try and get more elsewhere. With some around here thinking that the next 8.0 probably won't get close to 260K, an offer of 102K seems fair if one isn't bullish on AF. I mean how many comics can command 100K? That is a lot of money.

I could be wrong, but this was my thinking:

I think these high prices for AF15 are suspect and not good for things in the long run. If you're constantly cheerleading the high prices but offering a low price, I think that's telling. If an 8.0 is selling for 261k and your'e creaming your pants about that, then a 7.5 is worth a bit more then 102.k. So did another Boardie (if he now thinks he was out of line for saying it out loud or not) Of course anyone can offer whatever they want and anyone can take it or not just as someone can make a comment on the low offer and attempted buyer can ignore comment or not. I didn't thread-c in WTB thread,  didn't even bring it up. Another boardie did. But since this AF15 Club thread has turned into a running commentary on sales and buys of AF15, I felt it was ok to reply to another boardie's question about it.

Edited by NoMan

ok, so we have seen multiple auctions now with a pretty consistent story being told: This book is somehow now worth much more than it was last year. Proportions and scale can be argued, but the narrative cant be. My question is simply this, why? That's what we all seem to be dancing around. Some have theories that its books that are upgrade-able, some have theories its the market catching up all at once, among a host of other reasons.

Question is simple: Why are we seeing these prices jump? We have now like 7-8 examples across multiple platforms of very difficult to square prices occurring, its clearly happening, so why is it?

7 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

ok, so we have seen multiple auctions now with a pretty consistent story being told: This book is somehow now worth much more than it was last year. Proportions and scale can be argued, but the narrative cant be. My question is simply this, why? That's what we all seem to be dancing around. Some have theories that its books that are upgrade-able, some have theories its the market catching up all at once, among a host of other reasons.

Question is simple: Why are we seeing these prices jump? We have now like 7-8 examples across multiple platforms of very difficult to square prices occurring, its clearly happening, so why is it?

I have no idea. I wish I did. 

41 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Herd mentality, or mob mentality, describes how people are influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors. Examples of the herd mentality include nationalism, stock market trends, superstition, and home décor.

...I have no idea how "home decor" made that list in the definition lol

7 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Herd mentality, or mob mentality, describes how people are influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors. Examples of the herd mentality include nationalism, stock market trends, superstition, and home décor.

...I have no idea how "home decor" made that list in the definition lol

When we were kids my dad decorated the front room with cool 70's wallpaper and some retro furnishings. A month later, we noticed that the house 4 down had the exact same set up. My dad was first of course. 

Oh, and I really like Amazing Fantasy 15. 

3 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

When we were kids my dad decorated the front room with cool 70's wallpaper and some retro furnishings. A month later, we noticed that the house 4 down had the exact same set up. My dad was first of course. 

Oh, and I really like Amazing Fantasy 15. 

you should marry it.