• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, SECollector said:

Lol. On a serious note: some of these kids will probably want and maybe afford to buy an AF15 in 30 years from now. 

Tell them to buy now as the price is only going to rise from here!

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

My economics lesson is that slow steady growth in our hobby is good in the long term....short term exponential growth historically is not good for a hobby. And I love this hobby. Been reading and collecting comics since 1972 and been buying and selling since the 80s. My entire youth and adult life is "invested" in our hobby. I only want it to sustain and be fun for most

Agreed I to want to see the hobby flourish over a long period of time but like anything else some times there are spikes that are not the norm and some times you see a pullback once this happens when things cool down. What can you do it is part of the hobby good or bad short term!! 

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

The error in your assumption is that not even a fraction of a percent desire to own the comic. Sure, millions love superheroes, but millions don't collect their first appearance in a comic (or even their current comics). There has unfortunately been a contraction of readership of new books over the past decades (small stabilizing recently due to social media and movies/tv shows...but that's still cyclical)

yes, several hundred or several thousand graded issues doesn't seem like much , but the market reaches equilibrium regardless. 

So true. I know many people who enjoy the Spiderman movies ( have seen all of them, some even multiple times and often wear spidey clothing/caps etc. ) but do not buy comics, only perhaps occasionally, much less think of dropping 5-6 figs on one. The answer is a straight out : never !

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

So true. I know many people who enjoy the Spiderman movies ( have seen all of them, some even multiple times and often wear spidey clothing/caps etc. ) but do not buy comics, only perhaps occasionally, much less think of dropping 5-6 figs on one. The answer is a straight out : never !

Well that does not change the fact there are enough AF15 buyers since the book sells on a regular basis and if none would be selling then I would be worried but it's not the case. The hobby is healthy so why try to say the demand is not higher than the supply when it is. Sure it's not rare like GA books everyone knows that but what does that have to do with anything when what I just said applies to AF15 and other key SA books for that matter. SA keys sell simple as that!!

Do I think the book may have gone up to fast in the last few months yes and no....I think it will adjust itself in lower grades (maybe 10%) but not much in higher grades.

Edited by SC22

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

My economics lesson is that slow steady growth in our hobby is good in the long term....short term exponential growth historically is not good for a hobby. And I love this hobby. Been reading and collecting comics since 1972 and been buying and selling since the 80s. My entire youth and adult life is "invested" in our hobby. I only want it to sustain and be fun for most

Bob, is that you in there?  :hi:  lol

Seriously, although we often complain about how Overstreet is well behind the marketplace and seemingly out of touch, I strongly believe his slow and steady approach to valuations have served to nurture and grow this market through both good and bad times over the past almost 50 years.  Certainly not the roller coaster ride approach that the once more hip and popular Wizard magazine would have taken.  hm

Kudos to Bob for ensuring that our market continues to grow at a long term healthy and steady pace.  (thumbsu

3 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Why is it we over analyze AF15 so much but not any other book in the hobby?

Let us know what other book in the hobby ever went thru the artificial explosion in price we just witnessed over the last months as did AF15.

I don't even think what happened to MF73 is comparable.

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Here is a CGC 5.0 with a lot of Marvel chipping at 26 000$ with 5 days left not much denial there seems like a high price so far.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1186693&id=1186693

That marvel chipping is actually pretty minor, that book, all other things considered, should still do pretty well. Maybe $45k-ish?

And I don't know what an "artificial bubble" even is.  That just smells like another made up "hater term".   Demand is either present or it is not. When demand spikes, prices spikes.  If demand wanes, prices will wane.   Markets are cyclical and AF 15 is in a bullish one right now.  Just like pre Robin Tecs are.  Just like lots of GA Wonder Woman is (though, perhaps, for different reasons).  None of this is rocket science.  

-J.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

That marvel chipping is actually pretty minor, that book, all other things considered, should still do pretty well. Maybe $45k-ish?

And I don't know what an "artificial bubble" even is.  That just smells like another made up "hater term".   Demand is either present or it is not. When demand spikes, prices spikes.  If demand wanes, prices will wane.   Markets are cyclical and AF 15 is in a bullish one right now.  Just like pre Robin Tecs are.  Just like lots of GA Wonder Woman is (though, perhaps, for different reasons).  None of this is rocket science.  

-J.

Bingo we have a winner!!

Just now, Gotham Kid said:

Jay, go back and read the last 2-3 weeks of posts. lol

I've been keeping up.  :shy: And I deliberately didn't quote your post directly because I didn't want you to think I was singling you out on it.

But...... the one biggest problem with folks who constantly talk about "bubbles"- and this is in any investment class, mind you- is that they have the luxury of screaming "bubble bubble bubble" for weeks, months, years even, often with little to no context, and then get to say how "right", "smart", and "prescient" they were when or if the "bubble" ever bursts  (or even just deflates).

So it puts those folks in a very comfortable position of being able to claim being "right" at some possible indeterminate point in the distant future, whilst cloaking themselves in a self righteous "I'm just telling everyone to be careful" taint before hand, and even more annoying "see, look I told you so" afterwards (assuming it ever happened).

At the end of the day, things will play out how they play out, and no one, not even people who have been in the hobby for 80 years, can say even what a "bubble" would constitute, let alone whether or not there is one.  Hell there are many chicken littles running around out there who think the entire hobby is in a "bubble" and they have been saying that constantly for at least seven or eight years now.  And here we still are, them being wrong for seven years now, probably rooting for a "crash" deep down inside just so they can finally say, not only were they "right", but "right" along.  As ludicrous as that sounds.  

It really is all quite silly when you think about.  "Collect and let collect" is my new official philosophy. :)

-J.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

I've been keeping up.  :shy: And I deliberately didn't quote your post directly because I didn't want you to think I was singling you out on it.

But...... the one biggest problem with folks who constantly talk about "bubbles"- and this is in any investment class, mind you- is that they have the luxury of screaming "bubble bubble bubble" for weeks, months, years even, often with little to no context, and then get to say how "right", "smart", and "prescient" they were when or if the "bubble" ever bursts  (or even just deflates).

So it puts those folks in a very comfortable position of being able to claim being "right" at some possible indeterminate point in the distant future, whilst cloaking themselves in a self righteous "I'm just telling everyone to be careful" taint before hand, and even more annoying "see, look I told you so" afterwards (assuming it ever happened).

At the end of the day, things will play out how they play out, and no one, not even people who have been in the hobby for 80 years, can say even what a "bubble" would constitute, let alone whether or not there is one.  Hell there are many chicken littles running around out there who think the entire hobby is in a "bubble" and they have been saying that constantly for at least seven or eight years now.  And here we still are, them being wrong for seven years now, probably rooting for a "crash" deep down inside just so they can finally say, not only were they "right", but "right" along.  As ludicrous as that sounds.  

It really is all quite silly when you think about.  "Collect and let collect" is my new official philosophy. :)

-J.

By golly chicken dinner we have a winner!!

5 hours ago, SC22 said:

Yes it does it's a long time especially when you follow certain hobbies almost every single day since that time period and have spoken to so many dealers over that time as well.

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I'd like to find sense in his 2 cents but as I don't this has but the scent of nonsense.

But I also know you know a lot as well most of us here have many decades in this hobby we all have various opinions none better than others just different point of views based on the vast knowledge we acquired over that time.

Why don't we wait and see in say 6 months time where AF15 is at price wise then we will all have a better understanding....we can report sale prices from here till then. That way no one will be making predictions they have no absolute proofs off....let the market speak for itself. Let the AF15 buyers decide what they want to spend and see if it maintains itself or if there is a minor set back.

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, SC22 said:

Why don't we wait and see in say 6 months time where AF15 is at price wise then we will all have a better understanding....we can report sale prices from here till then. That way no one will be making predictions they have no absolute proofs off....let the market speak for itself. Let the AF15 buyers decide what they want to spend and see if it maintains itself or if there is a minor set back.

Just wait until a couple of months after the Disney Spider-man movie is released.  Then the market pricing will be in its post-movie and not its pre-movie phase.

Edited by namisgr

With the worldwide popularity of Marvel Movies, have foreign collectors/investors been tapping into rare high end comics like AF15?  If so, how much?  Are we competing with them in a lot of these auctions?  Are a lot of AF15s leaving the country.  Just curious.

7 hours ago, SC22 said:

Here is a CGC 5.0 with a lot of Marvel chipping at 26 000$ with 5 days left not much denial there seems like a high price so far.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1186693&id=1186693

Let's see if it touches the $57K the 5.0 sold on Clink in March. (shrug)

That sale will probably go down as PeakAF15 for a mid-grader, much like the 5.5 FF 1 that sold for $30k back in 2012 was.

14 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

With the worldwide popularity of Marvel Movies, have foreign collectors/investors been tapping into rare high end comics like AF15?  If so, how much?  Are we competing with them in a lot of these auctions?  Are a lot of AF15s leaving the country.  Just curious.

That what my local LCS guy says. "Bank Safe Deposit boxes in Japan"

makes me curious how Japan bank safe boxes are different then US boxes. 

28 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Let's see if it touches the $57K the 5.0 sold on Clink in March. (shrug)

That sale will probably go down as PeakAF15 for a mid-grader, much like the 5.5 FF 1 that sold for $30k back in 2012 was.

Of course it will not the copy that sold for 57k had no marvel chipping and had great eye appeal. It's not the same level of CGC 5.0 this one should land about 30% less or so. So 40 000$ would be my guess anything more is a lot for a copy with that amount of marvel chipping. We will see.

Edited by SC22