• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, SC22 said:
7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I'm always doubtful of anyone who proclaims themselves an expert on the internet. The proof is in the pudding and there's a lot of pudding in this thread.

lol

Laugh all you want I knew (you get that feeling when you have been in a hobby for so long at least some of us do) AF15 was going to have a explosion in value and I also knew many of the final sale prices would be much higher than what some others here estimated certain AF15's where going to sell for.

Imagine that, you predicted that AF #15 is going up. lol

What you said was stuff like "you can't lose", "it's only going to go up, up, up" and "you can't overpay" or stuff like that.

If that is what makes someone an 'expert' then all of the people out there who believe that keys are going to get more expensive over time are also experts. Which is basically the whole hobby.

The 'explosion' that happened is that a few select copies that were either upgradeable or looked too good for the grade set records.  Another shocking revelation that nicer books fetch more money that not-so-nice books.

That's not some sort of prediction. It's been happening since comics were worth more than cover price.

2 hours ago, SC22 said:

But you as a dealer should you not have seen this coming I mean seriously!! But in the end you did not and you got caught off guard so much for been the eyes and ears of the hobby and supposedly knowing better than us collectors!! In the end dealers don't always know best!!

I've been a collector for 42 years. I've been a full time dealer for nearly 9.

Being a collector OR a dealer doesn't make anyone an expert. There are plenty of both who don't have a clue as to how to understand market dynamics.

It doesn't matter what you do for a living that makes you understand how business works. You either understand business or you don't.

2 hours ago, SC22 said:

Now you as a ''internet expert'' you are here everyday saying no no this is ludicrous and keep saying this price surge is a huge bubble it can't because you did not foresee it!! But but it never happened before in the hobby so it's impossible....never say never in life....lesson learned.

What happened is easy to see if you just take a step back. Nothing caught me off guard.

I was already in the market ready to buy the AF #15 9.0 to try to upgrade it (I went to look at the book in NYC the week before the auction) and knew it would set a record number (because that is how upgradeable copies are valued).

Along with the 9.l0, two other select copies sold for record prices. Many didn't sell for record prices.

Now those who own AF #15s (collectors and dealers) want those prices to be real because everyone likes making money and the market is trying to decide whether this is the new price range. 

Sure enough, some copies after that sold for strong numbers and some didn't. The market is still unsure.

Why? Because not everyone believes that this is the new price point. If they did it wouldn't be a discussion and there wouldn't be copies sitting on the market unsold.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Imagine that, you predicted that AF #15 is going up. lol

What you said was stuff like "you can't lose", "it's only going to go up, up, up" and "you can't overpay" or stuff like that.

If that is what makes someone an 'expert' then all of the people out there who believe that keys are going to get more expensive over time are also experts. Which is basically the whole hobby.

The 'explosion' that happened is that a few select copies that were either upgradeable or looked too good for the grade set records.  Another shocking revelation that nicer books fetch more money that not-so-nice books.

That's not some sort of prediction. It's been happening since comics were worth more than cover price.

I've been a collector for 42 years. I've been a full time dealer for nearly 9.

Being a collector OR a dealer doesn't make anyone an expert. There are plenty of both who don't have a clue as to how to understand market dynamics.

It doesn't matter what you do for a living that makes you understand how business works. You either understand business or you don't.

What happened is easy to see if you just take a step back. Nothing caught me off guard.

I was already in the market ready to buy the AF #15 9.0 to try to upgrade it (I went to look at the book in NYC the week before the auction) and knew it would set a record number (because that is how upgradeable copies are valued).

Along with the 9.l0, two other select copies sold for record prices. Many didn't sell for record prices.

Now those who own AF #15s (collectors and dealers) want those prices to be real because everyone likes making money and the market is trying to decide whether this is the new price range. 

Sure enough, some copies after that sold for strong numbers and some didn't. The market is still unsure.

Why? Because not everyone believes that this is the new price point. If they did it wouldn't be a discussion and there wouldn't be copies sitting on the market unsold.

Unsold since when a week ago....give them time to sell. Like I said we will most likely see a drop off in value in lower grades by about 10% or so but the higher grades will most likely be less affected.

Edited by SC22

8 minutes ago, DTM700 said:

Great looking 1.8!

How do you guys feel about sig vs no sig? Or is it all just personal preference?

I prefer no sig but in the end I prefer owning any AF15 than not owning one.

16 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Like I said we will most likely see a drop off in value in lower grades by about 10% or so but the higher grades will most likely be less affected.

This post illustrates exactly what I'm trying to say.

Two months ago you said that AF #15 could only go 'up, up, up' but after PMing with GAtor a few weeks ago (who is apparently God's gift to all dealers lol - and just so you know, he's a personal friend of mine. He was invited to my wedding) you've now enlightened us that 'we're going to see a pull back.'

I'm fairly certain that I was actually the first to point out in this thread that the current market trend was unsustainable and that a pullback was a real possibility (that's when you started calling me names a couple of months ago and slandering my business calling me untrustworthy) but that's not being an expert. That simple economics 101.

And now you're saying I ' got caught off guard so much for been the eyes and ears of the hobby '.

Let me show you how I got caught off guard.

I don't post everything I know on here because I use my hard earned knowledge to make a living but I did call several of my dealer friends mid summer last year and told them based on what I saw to stock up on AF #15 and Hulk #1 because I felt those books were going to move hard.

It must have been a lucky guess since I got caught with my pants down.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

This post illustrates exactly what I'm trying to say.

Two months ago you said that AF #15 could only go 'up, up, up' but after PMing with GAtor a few weeks ago (who is apparently God's gift to all dealers lol - and just so you know, he's a personal friend of mine. He was invited to my wedding) you've now enlightened us that 'we're going to see a pull back.'

I'm fairly certain that I was actually the first to point out in this thread that the current market trend was unsustainable and that a pullback was a real possibility (that's when you started calling me names a couple of months ago and slandering my business calling me untrustworthy) but that's not being an expert. That simple economics 101.

And now you're saying I ' got caught off guard so much for been the eyes and ears of the hobby '.

Let me show you how I got caught off guard.

I don't post everything I know on here because I use my hard earned knowledge to make a living but I did call several of my dealer friends mid summer last year and told them based on what I saw to stock up on AF #15 and Hulk #1 because I felt those books were going to move hard.

It must have been a lucky guess since I got caught with my pants down.

Then I meant it will keep going up over time I should have specified that after a huge surge we will see a dip but like I said not much more than 10% or so. I don't see AF15 taking a big nose dive after this surge.

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, SC22 said:

Like I said we will most likely see a drop off in value in lower grades by about 10% or so but the higher grades will most likely be less affected.

That didn't sound like an apology to me.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Because not everyone believes that this is the new price point. If they did it wouldn't be a discussion and there wouldn't be copies sitting on the market unsold.

This pretty much sums it up.

This is an honest question: do copies of  action 1 and tec 27 sit on the market for long? I think there has been a tec 27 sitting around on either CL or CC for awhile now. 

Or I could be wrong. 

47 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Nothing new some members bullying me and I asked the mods to stop them and it seems it has stopped. Hopefully forever because no one likes to be treated in such a way!!

SC22 now feels he can make any comment he wants because he 'supposedly' has the moderators on his side. He can say demeaning things to us, but we are bullies if we reply. IMO, SC22 is an instigator, trying to bait us. Proceed cautiously, don't  take the bait. 

14 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I think there has been a tec 27 sitting around on either CL or CC for awhile now. 

Or I could be wrong. 

ComicLink. Former 1.8 iirc, taped up to 2.5. Belongs to a boardie. BIN @ 450K, has an offer of 350K

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
2 hours ago, NoMan said:

I think there has been a tec 27 sitting around on either CL or CC for awhile now. 

Or I could be wrong. 

ComicLink. Former 1.8 iirc, taped up to 2.5. Belongs to a boardie. BIN @ 450K, has an offer of 350K

Comic Connect / Metro also had a CGC 5.0 last October in NYC. I believe it just sold recently.

The 2.5 is just gorgeous in hand. I thought about buying it when GAtor owned years ago but just didn't know how I could dish out the dough at the time to make a sale.

@NoMan

As a general rule, the larger books take more time to sell than cheaper books.