• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I can think of 2 scenarios. The account has been hijacked and we all know that we have seen a lot of scammers trying to sell AF 15's for cheap or the seller simply made a mistake on price.

Could be a hijacked account or scam. That makes the most sense. The price seemed too good to be true.

It popped up on my Ebay alerts, and I really wanted to jump on it, but my spidey senses went off.

26 minutes ago, LSN said:

How exactly can you scam on eBay though?? You'd be refunded very easily if anything went wrong. Wish I would've seen it I'd have jumped on that!

Haha and this is why scammers do it.  I'd rather not spend a month fighting with eBay (when they sent a box with a $10 cgc slab) saying it was the wrong book and when ebay sides with them cause they show tracking, signature and USPS shows that the box weights and dimensions line up.  Then you go to your CC and spend another month fighting with them trying to prove a case that they sent you a junk book and not the book worth the 4 figures they were supposed to.  Finally after 2 months and several phone calls of yelling and screaming your CC refunds you and ebay locks you out of your account.

Ya I'd like to play that game too :banana: why don't you just send me $7500 and after 2 months I'll return it.

32 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Haha and this is why scammers do it.  I'd rather not spend a month fighting with eBay (when they sent a box with a $10 cgc slab) saying it was the wrong book and when ebay sides with them cause they show tracking, signature and USPS shows that the box weights and dimensions line up.  Then you go to your CC and spend another month fighting with them trying to prove a case that they sent you a junk book and not the book worth the 4 figures they were supposed to.  Finally after 2 months and several phone calls of yelling and screaming your CC refunds you and ebay locks you out of your account.

Ya I'd like to play that game too :banana: why don't you just send me $7500 and after 2 months I'll return it.

In my experiences if the item you bought arrives and doesn't match the pics and description then eBay waste little time in getting a refund of your money. 

Ive never heard of anyone getting away with sending a completely wrong item. ?

5 minutes ago, LSN said:

In my experiences if the item you bought arrives and doesn't match the pics and description then eBay waste little time in getting a refund of your money. 

Ive never heard of anyone getting away with sending a completely wrong item. ?

miss-the-point.png

1 minute ago, Iceman399 said:

miss-the-point.png

How did I miss the point? You said that eBay will side with them because they show tracking, box weight, etc. and that plays no factor into deciding wether or not a seller sent the WRONG item. If the item received is NOT the same one pictured and discribed in the description notes then eBay will issue a refund to the buyer...

One time I had a guy send me a book that was ripped and wasn't shown in the book pic or discription but eBay jumped right on it and issued the refund and I sent the book back to the seller. It was actually quite simple and took very little time. So I don't know we're you're getting all your time table information ?

4 minutes ago, LSN said:

How did I miss the point? You said that eBay will side with them because they show tracking, box weight, etc. and that plays no factor into deciding wether or not a seller sent the WRONG item. If the item received is NOT the same one pictured and discribed in the description notes then eBay will issue a refund to the buyer...

One time I had a guy send me a book that was ripped and wasn't shown in the book pic or discription but eBay jumped right on it and issued the refund and I sent the book back to the seller. It was actually quite simple and took very little time. So I don't know we're you're getting all your time table information ?

Was it a $7,500 book?  I bet you the process isn't as quickly expedited when somebody is going to be out $7,500

Jim

5 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

Was it a $7,500 book?  I bet you the process isn't as quickly expedited when somebody is going to be out $7,500

Jim

No Jim, it wasn't that expensive but I'd imagine EBay would probably want to make a quick solutions to something that expensive.

atleast I'd hope so. ?

You claim to have not received a 7.5k book.  Though your signature and tracking line up with the box.

I claim to have sent a 7.5k book with tracking and signature (that you've signed for).

How does one quickly respond to that? 

Answer: They don't.  Police reports are required.  Likely an investigation.  Likely several phone calls.  We aren't talking about a seller that is just accepting a return.  Nope they are going to fight to keep the money tied up for a long as possible.  Heck they've likely cleaned out the paypal account.  Wonder if ebay (or paypal) would gladly swallow a pill of 7.5k cause you and the seller can't agree if you received the book (I highly doubt it...else individuals would take advantage of this with their "buddies").

The scammer that hijacked the account xsfers the 7500 immediately to their bank and withdraws it a day later. That's how the scammer "wins". Sure, the buyer will likely eventually get their money back (with some effort I suspect) but the scammer still gets away and leads them to do it again and again. 

Edited by G.A.tor

On 7/4/2017 at 2:24 PM, G.A.tor said:

The scammer that hijacked the account xsfers the 7500 immediately to their bank and withdraws it a day later. That's how the scammer "wins". Sure, the buyer will likely eventually get their money back (with some effort I suspect) but the scammer still gets away and leads them to do it again and again. 

Yes. Been there with the exact price of $7500 about a year ago.  The seller sent messages stating he couldn't make it to the post office. After he got his/her money out, he went silent. Probably not the same seller. I got my money back, of course, but I'd guess the seller doesn't care about PayPal (off eBay transaction) taking him/her to court. 

When I check GPA on AF15, those 5.0 range sales on CC from months ago still dont appear to be showing up. Does CC supply market data to GPA? or is Heritage the only one of the big 3 (HA, CC, CL) to give that data freely?

28 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

You're killin' me with that avatar!  I see it and I think it's me. 

Yeah, I have now read multiple posts from James thinking that he was you and scratching my head why it sounds like something someone else would say. :insane:

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Haha, did you used to use Borat too or this sorta actually look like you?

Edited by zhamlau

10 minutes ago, zhamlau said:
1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Haha, did you used to use Borat too or this sorta actually look like you?

The first one.   That exact pic was my avatar here for years and years.  Still have it on the computer. 

348 -BORAT.jpg

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

When I check GPA on AF15, those 5.0 range sales on CC from months ago still dont appear to be showing up. Does CC supply market data to GPA? or is Heritage the only one of the big 3 (HA, CC, CL) to give that data freely?

Are you referring to the CGC 5.0 copy of AF 15 that sold for something like $57K on CC?

Does GPA record the CGC 3.0 sales of 'Tec 29 and 'Tec 38 for $66K and $54,010 that also took place in the exact same CC March auction? 

Just asking since these 2 prices are about double the going market rate and for sure CC would most probably want these sales to be reflected in GPA, similar to the $57K AF 15 sale.hm

Edited by lou_fine