• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

so, public auction results, like those of comiclink auctions, are proprietary? gpa is not permitted by law to include those in it's results if comiclink does not agree? 

What I'm saying, and has been discussed here often, is that Comiclink refused to deal with GPA with their data. The data is considered proprietary property of Comiclink.  Bob refrenced this approach earlier, saying that why should he, or any dealer, willingly share, or make public, sales data that fuels their business decisions? It's an edge dealers have, and have always had, knowing what books change hands for.  We forget that while the Internet has flattened the playing field, it has also led some businesses/dealers to protect and cling to their data.  Of course it feels wrong, and selfish to us, because on the internet information is supposed to be --or wants to be-- free. 

So that's the defense of Comiclink stance. And the data may in fact be their legal property which is why - while it would be easy for GPA to just take the data digitally, while its briefly displayed publicly, they refuse to go there, hoping Josh will see the light, as Heritage and CConnect and many many other dealers have been and are doing for the good of the hobby and the comics market.

So don't blame GPA for what is ISNT... Rely on it for what it is.

And maybe  -  some public pressure might make Comiclink see the light?

CGC 5.0 sold for $9750 ? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-5-0-OW-Pages-Universal-Spider-Man-Marvel-/122691910593?hash=item1c9101fbc1%3Ag%3A2kQAAOSwqSVZsY2P&nma=true&si=nww3nPSbjcgTl8969W3%2FNIn%2Fm3s%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I would have trouble believing that a seller who knows what MC and pre-chipping is doesn't know the real value of a nice 5.0. :whistle:

7 minutes ago, SECollector said:

CGC 5.0 sold for $9750 ? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-5-0-OW-Pages-Universal-Spider-Man-Marvel-/122691910593?hash=item1c9101fbc1%3Ag%3A2kQAAOSwqSVZsY2P&nma=true&si=nww3nPSbjcgTl8969W3%2FNIn%2Fm3s%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I would have trouble believing that a seller who knows what MC and pre-chipping is doesn't know the real value of a nice 5.0. :whistle:

Yep, pretty sure someone's getting a $10k box of poo in the mail this week

Edited by comicquant

9 hours ago, Aman619 said:

What I'm saying, and has been discussed here often, is that Comiclink refused to deal with GPA with their data. The data is considered proprietary property of Comiclink.

yeah, i figured as much. this seems like a ridiculous legal position to take. if your auction is public on the internet, then the results are also public. of course, i'm not a lawyer. many of us have already, in our own amateur ways, kept certain records of their results on books we are interested in. but of course you are right, and if this is the position that comiclink is taking, then it is really comiclink that is screwing up results at GPA, and by extension, all of us who collect/invest in comics. 

if someone on this forum chose to keep a record of every comiclink result, and rather than sell it, make it available to everyone, with the possible suggestion of a small donation, like a museum does, that seems like it would be most useful, and legal.

On 9/16/2017 at 2:28 PM, Glassman10 said:

Well, Lou,  Do you think the  4.0 going for $35K was the beginning of the escalation on lower mid grade stuff.  I suspect that 10K per grading point will be the entry level soon.  Right now, it's snap the ones up you can before the stampede. Bob's 7.0 was remarkable at the price it brought.

I believe we'll get the answer to this question within the next few months as CC has 4 copies of AF 15 along with a a CGC 3.5 copy (so far) in their upcoming Event Auction scheduled for this November.  :gossip:

Best people to ask would be dealers like the Blazing One and Gator who seems to have quite a few AF 15's on hand.  From what I see on these boards here, this book seems to have a pretty wide range on a price per point valuation.  Although we always seem to focus on the grand slam headline grabbing auction results here, there also seems to be quite a few examples of sales still substantially lower and nowhere close to the $10K price per point ballpark yet.

Being avid collectors as we all are here, we always tend to focus in on the strong positive news in terms of auction results and ignore the many ones that do not seem to do so well.  hm

14 hours ago, BIZZARRO said:

I hate to ask this question but I must. I have a 3.0 sa af15 stating slight color touch, pages ow/wht. What would be the best way to sell it and how much could I get for it? And what would a dealer bid for it? Thanks in advance

joe bizzarro 

I always like to know how small the color touch is.  You may want to buy the graders notes to check that.  If it's just a couple of small color dots then you may want to show it to a restoration removal service to see what they can do.  It could be that you have a future 2.5 "unrestored" in your hands.  The value difference between a Purple 3.0 SA and a Blue 2.5 could be quite substantial in the current market.

27 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

CGC 8.5 in upcoming CC auction

I guess you must have inside info as their Event Auction website shows only 5 lower grade copies for now.  (shrug)

These would be 4 CGC 4.0 copies along with a lonely CGC 3.5 copy. 

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=744684

17 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I love when collectibles are described as "bullet-proof investments."  

As if. 

It's not a new book to a slab as cenus remains 11 for blue label. 

What's the R in the comments stand for?  Restored?  I didn't see universal in the description. 

As for the the 4 4.0's go, unless it is the same seller of all 4 copies, I wouldn't want to compete with this many like-graded examples. 

6 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

What's the R in the comments stand for?  Restored?  I didn't see universal in the description. 

As for the the 4 4.0's go, unless it is the same seller of all 4 copies, I wouldn't want to compete with this many like-graded examples. 

If it is restored, it still would not be a new book to slab as restored copies have sat at 17 on census for at least the last year. 

36 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I always like to know how small the color touch is.  You may want to buy the graders notes to check that.  If it's just a couple of small color dots then you may want to show it to a restoration removal service to see what they can do.  It could be that you have a future 2.5 "unrestored" in your hands.  The value difference between a Purple 3.0 SA and a Blue 2.5 could be quite substantial in the current market.

I know of a couple of instances where the resto was removed and the grade came back the same but in a shiny blue label...

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

If it is restored, it still would not be a new book to slab as restored copies have sat at 17 on census for at least the last year. 

It could have been graded last week.  In the past, CGC has had a little bit of a lag in updating the census. 

18 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

Four 4.0s in the same auction is overkill and it will be really interesting to see if the demand is really so high to absorb so many copies for relatively strong prices. 

That being said, I am pretty positive that 4.0 - 5.5 grade range is possibly a field with strong interest and high demand since it is still "affordable" for a larger pool of collectors. 

16 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

It could have been graded last week.  In the past, CGC has had a little bit of a lag in updating the census. 

I hope it's blue label. Like to see what an 8.5 does these days. Curious if things are leveling out and calming down. I guess a restored 8.5 can reveal a lot too. 

I don't think having 4 CGC 4.0's is a big deal there are what 10 000 or so AF15's that exist so I am pretty sure the market will easily absorb 4 lonely copies. It is a grade range that a lot of people are looking for. I would be more concerned if I was a seller of say a 8.0 and there was 3 other 8.0's in the same auction.

Lower graded books are what most can afford so they will sell easily and should do OK (on almost any given day all year round you can find lower graded AF15's so why should this be any different). It all depends on the amount of marvel chipping some will do better and some will sell for less like in any other auction setting.

Edited by SC22