• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

You know though, on paper yeah there are a lot of copies being "offered" on CL, but when you really look at here and ebay it tells a very different story.

On Comiclink: There are indeed 14 copies for sale unrestored

• 11 of them have significant MC's (which its clear are the least desirable yet the only ones people want to unload).
  • 3 Remaining are a an 8.0 for 275k, a 5.0 for 115k , and a 4.5 for 45k. Each of these is significantly over previous sale prices.  An 8.5 sold earlier this year for 177k which likely is about what an 8.0 would go for now in average for grade condition. A 5.0 without Marvel Chipping should sell around 45-50k with good PQ and no other major defects, basically less then 1/2 of the asking price. A 4.5 without MC's and good PQ should sell around 30k ,which is STILL higher then any copy recorded in grade on GPA but still well below the current for sale price.
  • Of the three copies without MC's (where the battle is waging) , 2 of the 3 are mid to lower PQ for the grade further pushing the sale price potentially down.
  • Some books are repeats of whats on other sites.

On Ebay:  There are 24 copies for sale unrestored at this time

• 16 have significant significant MC's (again, last to sell and whats not as desirable)
  • Every single copy being offered is between 25% to 150% over last known sale in grade. Additionally most of the MC which don't command the premium of no MC are being offered for well over the record prices paid for clean copies.

On ComicConnect: 7 Copies for sale unrestored

• 5 Copies have significant MC's
  • Every single copy being offered is between 25% to 150% over last known sale in grade. Additionally most of the MC which don't command the premium of no MC are being offered for well over the record prices paid for clean copies.

On Heritage: No copies for sale restored or otherwise.

When you really look at whats out there, its really not a whole lot. Lot of desirable books coming up for auction but non actually for sale right now for anything even remotely close to market price. If a book is in the range of market, its already been sold or pulled for an auction. What is being offered for sale are not the clean desirable copies but lessers folks are trying to unload for well over market, to get themselves into the MC's free decent PQ copies.

isn't this the way it's always been? at least for the past 10 years or so.

1 hour ago, thedude said:

isn't this the way it's always been? at least for the past 10 years or so.

In my crude following of the market for AF15s, the number of copies on sale now is much higher than typical, likely brought out by the big increase in selling price that occurred recently.

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Offers on the ComicLink 7.0 are behaving as if at auction.

I noticed the same...  That one will be gone soon.  I see why the 5.0 is priced so high.  The pics aren't great but from what I can see its bump-worthy.  I'd like to get the cert# (maybe someone's already requested) and check out the notes.

11 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Offers on the ComicLink 7.0 are behaving as if at auction. lol

I'm not following Gotham Kid. People are making offers on the 7.0 that is at a fixed price? 

Edited by NoMan

7 minutes ago, NoMan said:
18 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Offers on the ComicLink 7.0 are behaving as if at auction. lol

I'm not following Gotham Kid. People are making offers on the 7.0 that is at a fixed price? 

The offers were coming in one after another, as if in a bidding war. Things have apparently quieted down but back and forth bidding for several minutes in increments (sometimes even $25 increments).

Edited by Gotham Kid

6 minutes ago, NoMan said:
7 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

The offers are coming in one after another, as if in a bidding war.

I guess I'm not finding the page with individual bidding. I just see the one bid price below the BIN 

If you refreshed the page every 30-40 sec a while back you'd see a new offer with each refresh.

I would love to see the consignor's face. You have 32 new emails (ComicLink offers) lol

Edited by Gotham Kid

20 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I noticed the same...  That one will be gone soon.  I see why the 5.0 is priced so high.  The pics aren't great but from what I can see its bump-worthy.  I'd like to get the cert# (maybe someone's already requested) and check out the notes.

I'm surprised there are no offers on the 5.0 - it's been up for a little while.

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

You left out HighGradeComics (4). Only 4 cause Robert sells 'em like hot cakes.

If a book is priced too high you might as well charge admission to see it.  It is then called a museum piece.  Better yet charge money when people request to take pictures with it.

Edited by blazingbob

45 minutes ago, namisgr said:

In my crude following of the market for AF15s, the number of copies on sale now is much higher than typical, likely brought out by the big increase in selling price that occurred recently.

Yes,  the AF #15 tuna fleet is now out in mass trolling for bites.  

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Yes,  the AF #15 tuna fleet is now out in mass trolling for bites.  

I don't usually participate in discussions about the financial aspect or speculating (both because I don't find it that interesting as well as because I haven't been in the market for so long to have a strong opinion about the dynamics of it) but my feeling is that people are selling because of the remarkable price jump of the last months. The ones who are buying, or at least the majority of them, are not speculators however - they just want the book. And they are willing to pay now top $ because they are planning on keeping it and are worried that they will never be able to afford it in the future (thats what drove me to purchase my copy last year and why I didn't want to wait too long).

As soon as this first wave of offered books is in the hands of the buyers however it will cool down, and the supply of offered copies will be less while the demand will still be high as always. The question is whether the increased supply during this current  wave is big enough to saturate the market. My opinion is that it isn't. There will always be more people who want to own an AF15 than copies offered. So the prices might stabilise for a while, but it will not be long before they start to elevate again.