• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Trust is a peculiar commodity.Reputation is actually hard to earn particularly at ebay given the various opportunities for fraud and deception that exist there. .

If you hang around long enough you very quickly learn who the straight shooters are and which are not.

27 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Wow, that's a really nice looking 7.0.  Too bad about the erasure in the "M".  Are we going to see a CPR with this one?

5 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:
23 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Wow, that's a really nice looking 7.0.  Too bad about the erasure in the "M".  Are we going to see a CPR with this one?

CPR unlikely based on grader notes

When I saw it listed I immediately thought of you as it is right up your alley (overall eye appeal, grade, etc).

Edited by Gotham Kid

8 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

When I saw it listed I immediately thought of you as it is right up your alley (overall eye appeal, grade, etc).

It is, you are correct.  This is my 4th 7.0.   Was really considering that tec27 cgc 2.5 but thought be easier to have 4 7.0s especially if I need to move money around 

2 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

It is, you are correct.  This is my 4th 7.0.

Congrats ! The 27 2.5 would have cost you a wee bit more than last night's 7.0, at least 3 X more.

Edited by Gotham Kid

58 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If you hang around long enough you very quickly learn who the straight shooters are and which are not.

I have no idea how that would be achieved based on posts here.

well, it's been about ten months for me now since I initially joined the site as a former collector who wanted "advice" way back when.I actually caught a fair amount of dissing from some who suggested I was trolling over the comics I had. I let that slide off and got some really good advice but had to abandon some advice as well. Keep in mind, I was actually ready to sell the AF15 for a few grand before my son stepped in.  The evolution of it led to Bob, not to anyone else and Bob did pretty well off of it I think. So did I but it was sustained work.  So, I mean  "How long is long"? What is it in Bob's model that worked? It's been quite the education and I was treated well when it mattered.

I'm not trying to dump on anyone including you, really and truly. I'm just looking for how one makes the reliability judgement and how that comes about.  Perhaps some felt left out of that sale. Maybe the sale was not significant, I simply don't know. I tend to think five figures is worth getting out of bed over.  If this is simply a site for people trying to sell comics as dealers, as opposed to people who collect books, I really don't know. I've left the analytic loop/ Help me out. Who does what? Where have I landed as a former owner of a comic I really thought was pretty dumb. ?

Edited by Glassman10
clarity.

1 minute ago, Glassman10 said:

well, it's been about ten months for me now since I initially joined the site as a former collector who wanted "advice" way back when.I actually caught a fair amount of from some who suggested I was trolling over the comics I had. I let that slide off and got some really good advice but had to abandon some advice as well. Keep in mind, I was actually ready to sell the AF15 for a few grand before my son stepped in.  The evolution of it led to Bob, not to anyone else and Bob did pretty well off of it I think. So did I but it was sustained work.  So, I mean  "How long is long"? What is it in Bob's model that worked? It's been quite the education and I was treated well when it mattered.

I'm not trying to dump on anyone including you, really and truly. I'm just looking for how one makes the reliability judgement and how that comes about.  Perhaps some felt left out of that sale. Maybe the sale was not significant, I simply don't know. I tend to think five figures is worth getting out of bed over.  If this is simply a site for people trying to sell comics as dealers, as opposed to people who collect books, I really don't know. I've left the analytic loop/ Help me out. Who does what? Where have I landed as a former owner of a comic I really thought was pretty dumb. ?

I don't think anybody feels left out.

You did it the right way. You looked for information and managed to cull some good info out of your time hear.

5 figures is definitely worth getting out of bed over, but you also have to understand that there are lots of people who work with large deals all the time.

And don't get me wrong, I'm also not trying to disagree with your decision of choosing Bob. If it's something that wasn't up my alley, I've been known to recommend Bob as well.

My posts were more directed at what looked to me like an exaggeration that most of your other potential outlets were not trustworthy. There are quite a few very reputable people out there...and you found yours the right way. Through patience and personal recommendation rather than trial and error.

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Congrats ! The 27 2.5 would have cost you a wee bit more than last night's 7.0, at least 3 X more.

Yeah, the tec27 will be $400k give or take.  Sat at $375k and also the berk slight restored 6.5 ended at $313k and 

Edited by Spiderturtle

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

I don't think anybody feels left out.

You did it the right way. You looked for information and managed to cull some good info out of your time hear.

5 figures is definitely worth getting out of bed over, but you also have to understand that there are lots of people who work with large deals all the time.

And don't get me wrong, I'm also not trying to disagree with your decision of choosing Bob. If it's something that wasn't up my alley, I've been known to recommend Bob as well.

My posts were more directed at what looked to me like an exaggeration that most of your other potential outlets were not trustworthy. There are quite a few very reputable people out there...and you found yours the right way. Through patience and personal recommendation rather than trial and error.

Edited by Glassman10

3 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

Well, now I've butchered the editing process but you said that  ""I found mine the right way". Why is that? It's not evidenced on this board as near as I can see. Help me out. What criteria or process does that? Did I stumble like the Tarot card of the Fool?

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You're missing my point.

Your point was the eBay was fraught with fraud...but it's also fraught with reputable sellers.

How do you differentiate? Some already know. Others do their research.

My point is that there will always be bad apples but there will also be plenty of reputable sellers on eBay as there are here.

If i see a book on E bay, listed by a reputable seller , I contact them and get it way cheaper than E bay prices. I don't care what anyone says , screw E bay!  I don't think I would ever trust a big book deal on E bay with a random seller, EVER.

1 hour ago, paul747 said:

If i see a book on E bay, listed by a reputable seller , I contact them and get it way cheaper than E bay prices. I don't care what anyone says , screw E bay!  I don't think I would ever trust a big book deal on E bay with a random seller, EVER.

Better be sure you contact them outside the ebay network. Ebay is a police dog on this stuff, esp the bigger items.

I actually bought my AF15 CGC 4.5 and X-Men 1 CGC 7.5 from eBay. And before that, the 90% of my sports cards collection that was worth 6 figures from there. With some common sense and a simple understanding of their buyer protection system eBay is an awesome platform - especially for the buyer. I then sold all my cards collection there and I have done hundreds of transactions with just one case of trouble (when a random buyer claimed that he didn't receive his item. I had no tracking # so I refunded but I learned my lesson). For collectors out of the US as me, eBay makes life easier. But I do hate the double fees (eBay AND PayPal).

41 minutes ago, SECollector said:

I actually bought my AF15 CGC 4.5 and X-Men 1 CGC 7.5 from eBay. And before that, the 90% of my sports cards collection that was worth 6 figures from there. With some common sense and a simple understanding of their buyer protection system eBay is an awesome platform - especially for the buyer. I then sold all my cards collection there and I have done hundreds of transactions with just one case of trouble (when a random buyer claimed that he didn't receive his item. I had no tracking # so I refunded but I learned my lesson). For collectors out of the US as me, eBay makes life easier. But I do hate the double fees (eBay AND PayPal).

Same here but you still have to be careful.

19 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

you said that  ""I found mine the right way". Why is that?

You found a dealer to deal with the right way. Through patience and diligence rather than trial and error.

well the dealer was found through references from people who were selling books. I was selling a book. So I had a dealer who took the time to call me.  There weren't others so I have to kind of wonder why that was. 

How am I supposed to know, if I have valuable comics to sell, who exactly is the right guy? I recognize that there is a kudos section and I've looked at it. Bob doesn't want to deal with it. 

I went back to June on sales as trumpeted here and a 5.0 went for 29K and there was a major eruption of success. I kept watching GPA and there was a 4.0 ( as I recall) that went for about 35K by July. That caught my attention.  I kept watching GP analysis and it sure seemed to be trending up consistently.

Bob came, set the price and I put my trust in Bob.  Bob was not happy when I said what it in fact sold for which continues to confuse me but regardless, even if Bob posts the sale on his site and he does , he didn't want it here and I've apologized for that to him but I still don't get it. I just no longer put it up. But, Bob did "'jes fine" As Fremont  boy bug used to say in POGO.

What I can't yet understand from you is how someone like me would know exactly who is reputable and who isn't. I don't think it's the number of posts.  It's all cloaked in vagueness.  That's scary. It does seem to me that this site tends to be self policing  but not entirely. I see posts talking about dealers thrown out of shows and I don't want to see it as a simple seller yet not much seems to happen after that. .  

So, how do you promote yourself as a reputable dealer? Really? I don't get it. How do you go from a username to a website.? When I first posted my question about my AF15, I had about 30 PM's lighting up my screen.  What do you do to make me want to sell through you? I'm not trying to be offensive at all but I'm not the only non dealer here. I think others would like to know how they might market their books. 

I'm really all ears. 

16 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

I'm really all ears. 

I'm trying to agree with you but we seem to be going in circles so I'll drop it.

:foryou: