• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I can only tell you that putting the money in VISA and MC five years back - which I did yields far better than what you anticipate.

But that's called investing with a rear view mirror which my better half is a master at doing.  It's simply amazing how she can forecast every single turn for a stock and she simply does not understand how people can ever lose money investing in the stock market.  :facepalm:  lol

Actually, my sister brought some of the Visa stock when it first came out as a IPO and I also brought a bit not too soon after.  So, you are definitely right if we are looking back to 5 years ago.  Not sure if it's such a good buy at these prices now though, even if there is still a lot of room for them to grow in the foreign markets and as everybody moves away from cash as the main financial instrument.  (shrug)

I guess the real trick is to look 5 years down the line and see what will be hot then.  Personally, I am thinking of something outside the traditional box like some of the marijuana stocks as provincial and state governments one by one are starting to legalize this product.  Looks like a potential growing industry just taking its first baby steps as even the leading companies in this field with the widest established distribution channels are currently valued at only one or two billion dollars in comparison to the Visa's and MC which are already valued at hundreds of billions of dollars.  hm

Ok, maybe an AF 15 or some GA classic cover books might be a much safer bet, but it never hurts to take a bit of a flyer sometimes.  :wishluck:

18 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

when I turned mine over to Bob, he set that price publicly at 55K on a 5.0  He has one at $75K on his website.  In Dec of last year, it seemed to me that a 5.0 went at about 29.5 K at auction and that was a lot, but I don't have any history on whether the book stood a good chance of being bumped up in CGC. It was the 4.0 in GPA that caught me off guard at $35K I thought to be notable. 

Yes, it was those 2 sales (the 5.0 at $57K and the 4.0 at $35K and a couple similar sales late winter/early spring) that pushed prices up rather significantly to current levels.

I guess they've stayed there for the most part, but have not taken a jump to the "next level" since that time. Looks like prices are following the Hulk 1 model from a few years back where prices blew up, stabilized, and have remained relatively stagnant since.

Edited by drbanner

51 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Yes, it was those 2 sales (the 5.0 at $57K and the 4.0 at $35K and a couple similar sales late winter/early spring) that pushed prices up rather significantly to current levels.

I guess they've stayed there for the most part, but have not taken a jump to the "next level" since that time. Looks like prices are following the Hulk 1 model from a few years back where prices blew up, stabilized, and have remained relatively stagnant since.

I don't consider them stagnant. It's just not meteoric. Again the 5.0 last Dec was 29K. The 4.0 was 35K not much later .  I'd say the jump has been impressive in ten months.  What interests me is how the auction items do in light of how well the dealer sales have been going. It puts a lot of pressure on the auction method as an excellent way to consistently leave money on the table. 

2 hours ago, drbanner said:

Actually it was the 9.0 that sold for $395k that was also in that same auction in March, 2017, and also sold more than 100% higher than the prior public sale for that grade (that the history revisionists also fail to mention) that lifted the lower grades in that auction.  

Kinda like how that 9.2 Hulk 1 sale lifted the lower grades' sales and prompted a similar price spike for it a few years back.

And that 9.0 AF 15 is easily traced to and was directly caused by the sale of Ghosttown's heavily discussed and publicized 9.2 for $460k in January 2017, just two months earlier.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/16/amazing-fantasy-15-cgc-9-2-first-appearance-spider-man-sells-record-460000-comic-link/

Of course the realized sale of the 9.4 copy in Jan 2016 for $454k no doubt had something to do with that.   

Good luck continuing to try to convince people that a couple of low/mid grade copies (that only sold for what they did because they "looked upgradeable", remember? lol ) had anything to do with the prices we are seeing and were anything more than a simple continuation of the escalating prices we were already seeing in higher grades (kinda like what happened with Hulk 1).  (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

3 hours ago, drbanner said:
22 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

It was the 4.0 in GPA that caught me off guard at $35K I thought to be notable. 

Well aware of the CGC 5.0 sale for $57K back in March on the CC auction site, but can't seem to remember this 4.0 sale for $35K.

Was the 4.0 sale on CL since they are the other auction site that seems to be able to pull in record prices for the AF 15's?  ???

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well aware of the CGC 5.0 sale for $57K back in March on the CC auction site, but can't seem to remember this 4.0 sale for $35K.

Was the 4.0 sale on CL since they are the other auction site that seems to be able to pull in record prices for the AF 15's?  ???

Could have been, this thread surely documents those sales ( and the others in early Spring) since they are the ones that precipitated the run up in prices this year.

2 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Could have been, this thread surely documents those sales ( and the others in early Spring) since they are the ones that precipitated the run up in prices this year.

The 4.0 for 35K was sold in June - it’s on GPA - Cream to Off White pages

Just now, Jordysnordy said:

The 4.0 for 35K was sold in June - it’s on GPA - Cream to Off White pages

There was one earlier too, I know it's mentioned in this thread somewheres.

31 minutes ago, drbanner said:

This is still false and patently illogical no matter how many times you repeat yourself.  

Even Josh Nathanson disagrees with you.  :grin:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/16/amazing-fantasy-15-cgc-9-2-first-appearance-spider-man-sells-record-460000-comic-link/

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

It was on GPA. What really caught my attention was the 4.0 grade going for that price. I'm used to the 9.+ stuff being wildly breathtakingly unpredictable but that to me is based in scarcity for real.  There are a lot if you look to the 3-5-5.0 range on AF15. It's simply not rare. 

All in all, as I look at it, a 5.0 going from 29K to 57K in ten months is pretty meteoric.  As has been pointed out, a lot of the ones flooding the market right now have bad chipping. I don't like chipping and I don't like to see it as acceptable. Since there are books that don't have the chipping but do have the other general wear with color breaks, spine tics  and such, I tend to think accepting it is a bit like having to dance with an unattractive partner at a school dance. 

44 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

It was on GPA. What really caught my attention was the 4.0 grade going for that price. I'm used to the 9.+ stuff being wildly breathtakingly unpredictable but that to me is based in scarcity for real.  There are a lot if you look to the 3-5-5.0 range on AF15. It's simply not rare. 

All in all, as I look at it, a 5.0 going from 29K to 57K in ten months is pretty meteoric.  As has been pointed out, a lot of the ones flooding the market right now have bad chipping. I don't like chipping and I don't like to see it as acceptable. Since there are books that don't have the chipping but do have the other general wear with color breaks, spine tics  and such, I tend to think accepting it is a bit like having to dance with an unattractive partner at a school dance. 

Yeah, that 5.0 sure must have been reeeeallly upgradeable since that's why you originally said it sold for that price.  Revisionst history keeps striking ! :banana:

So what do you think of 9.0's going from $200k to $400k in under a twenty month period  (thanks again, almost entirely, to Ghosttown's 9.2 sale for $460k in January, 2017)?  :whatthe:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1164117

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=701480

-J. 

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Yeah, that 5.0 sure must have been reeeeallly upgradeable since that's why you originally said it sold for that price.  Revisionst history keeps striking ! :banana:

So what do you think of 9.0's going from $200k to $400k in under a twenty month period  (thanks again, almost entirely, to Ghosttown's 9.2 sale for $460k in January, 2017)?  :whatthe:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1164117

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=701480

-J. 

What I think doesn't count for much since I really don't understand money at all.  The 8K rolex watch is dead in the water yet the 250K version is two years back ordered.  I think these days people buy things not so much because they have value but simply because they can, and then they stick it in the face of their neighbor.

In my world as a simple craftsman with now having a good reputation , which is not the world of the AF 15 9.0 sales, we make stuff and try to do it as well as we can in our lifetimes, and you learn your craft, you insert your design, then you make a small space which said "I was here for a while" and then the stage changes.  Comics for me are simply strange. I collected because I was amused and no more. Eventually, life changed and I sold them for amazing prices not long ago. It was simply an addendum to the necessities life affords near the end so your own cruise is  comfortable and for that, I'm grateful. 

This stuff sells because... some want money, some want prestige, some are in over their heads, some like risk. Ever so few like the medium as I did. I'm pretty stupid that way. I'm sure there are other reasons. I sold it to give my kid a boost in life. No more, no less. Radioactive Spiders, Really? That is seriously your story?  Come on. Being able to run faster than the speed of light makes way more sense. 

What I don't care for here is the sniping. I've been sniped at and it doesn't feel good. I do think my perspective is fairly unusual, not unique by any means . I know this is a board for dealers. I've learned an enormous amount here and I thank you all in a variety of ways. 

Everyone has helped, intentionally or not. 

Mostly, Bob, he's been really clear.

Edited by Glassman10
thank, not think... big difference...

7 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:
9 hours ago, drbanner said:

Actually it was the 9.0 that sold for $395k that was also in that same auction in March, 2017, and also sold more than 100% higher than the prior public sale for that grade (that the history revisionists also fail to mention) that lifted the lower grades in that auction.  

+1

Yes, that March 2017 CC auction was definitely a game changer or a key milestone for the vintage collectible comic book marketplace.  (thumbsu

Not only was there the CGC 5.0 copy of AF 15 that sold for $57K, but there were also the CGC 4.5 copy that sold for just over $37K plus the Hope Collection CGC 9.0 copy that you mentioned above which sold for $395K.  All record setting and key milestone prices which paved the way for the continuing price increases which we saw over the next few months.

Not to be outdone by the AF 15's, this was also the exact same auction that saw a CGC 3.0 copy of 'Tec 29 go for $66K along with a CGC 3.0 copy of 'Tec 38 go for just over $54K.  Both of these were also key milestone markers as both of these results were more than 100% higher than the previous record valuations for these 2 books on a price per point basis, especially with respect to the 'Tec 38.  :whatthe:   :flipbait:

57 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Yes, that March 2017 CC auction was definitely a game changer or a key milestone for the vintage collectible comic book marketplace.  (thumbsu

Not only was there the CGC 5.0 copy of AF 15 that sold for $57K, but there were also the CGC 4.5 copy that sold for just over $37K plus the Hope Collection CGC 9.0 copy that you mentioned above which sold for $395K.  All record setting and key milestone prices which paved the way for the continuing price increases which we saw over the next few months.

Not to be outdone by the AF 15's, this was also the exact same auction that saw a CGC 3.0 copy of 'Tec 29 go for $66K along with a CGC 3.0 copy of 'Tec 38 go for just over $54K.  Both of these were also key milestone markers as both of these results were more than 100% higher than the previous record valuations for these 2 books on a price per point basis, especially with respect to the 'Tec 38.  :whatthe:   :flipbait:

Yes and this where the disconnect is.  The way was already paved by Ghosttown's record setting price before that, which was paved by the record setting price  (then) of the 9.4 before that.  In between there were multiple record breaking prices in 6.0 and 6.5 grades.  

You canalmost literally draw a straight line starting with the 9.4 sale in January, 2016 all the way through to now. That's where it started.  Just like it did with the blockbuster hulk 1 9.2 sale three years ago thstkster trickled down to lower grades.  

It is literally the exact same thing.  

-J.

I think what's being glossed over here as to what spiked the AF 15 market, is how different the 9.2-9.4 market is from the 5.0 market.  When 9.2s and 9.4 sell for ever increasing numbers, for most people it's just like reading about how the rich people live. Going from 200k to 400k is interesting, exciting maybe, but to most of us like reading about which yachts millionaires are buying. plus, most of us expect the high grade best examples of the key books to keep rising and rising into crazier numbers because they ARE the best copies of the best books.

But it's when a low middle grade copy that has usually been left in the dust by the highs falluting sales at the top end jumps up one hundred per cent higher with one book.... people sit up and take notice. Usually spiking HG copies have far less effect on five point os   

So whether the HG copies catulaly caused the five point o copy to double in price or not, it was thta five point o sale that fueled other mid grade copies to suddenly heat up too. 

In other words, we expect HG copies to double overnight... not average copies that had only been moving up slowly,

btw my keyboard suddenly won't let me type numbers right now.  Bites.