• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I thought all of the CGC fan boys here claim that Voldy almost always overgrades their books by a couple of notches relative to what CGC would grade a book at.  :devil:

fluke. the 5% of the time they are actually accurate.

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

But how could that be as both copies have been slabbed as 9.0 graded books?  ???

I thought all of the CGC fan boys here claim that Voldy almost always overgrades their books by a couple of notches relative to what CGC would grade a book at.  :devil:

Beat me to it.  

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

But how could that be as both copies have been slabbed as 9.0 graded books?  ???

Within the walls of Voldy this is known as "accidental accuracy".

16 hours ago, SC22 said:

Yeah you do seem to get good prices on the books you sell!!

Indeed he does. I've made noise about the risk of going to auction for a while as opposed to consigning the book to a dealer that knows his market. Now we have all these books having sold at disappointing numbers and we have all sorts of reasons offered from chipping to the season of the year. I will continue to say auctions are dangerous.

The CGC issue with MC and subsequent grading vs sales price is real and obvious.  If CGC gives a clean AF 15 a 5.5 and it also gives a chipped 5.5 the same grade, something is fundamentally wrong with the grading process. The venues keep proving this out. The recent sale of the 5.0 for 38K speaks volumes to the reality that buyers pay attention to this issue. The pressure that's necessary at this point is to get the grading process cleaned up.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:
2 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Lemme see: approx 450 mill $ for a Da Vinci splash page.

But it IS also framed!

I was going to bid on a really nice Michelangelo statue in 7.5 -- but it had a little too much marble chipping.

If there was a "post of the year" prize, this would be a candidate.

22 hours ago, SC22 said:

I predict the cl 5.5 will easily beat that number 

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely no record setting prices on any of these AF 15's in this auction here.

I guess it certainly doesn't help when you have a whole slew of them in various condition grades one after the other in the exact same auction.  Definitely not the best selling situation for the consignors of these copies here.   doh!  :censored:

+1

26 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
28 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

:banana: 5th copy.   Last 7.0 for the forseeable future 

What happens to prices when we remove you from the bidding lol

:tonofbricks:   OMG, it's so dark down there and almost like a bottomless pit since I can't see that far down.  lol

45 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

What happens to prices when we remove you from the bidding lol

I'm gonna apply for the super collector overstreet adviser role. Gonna drink lots of kool-aide before writing my 7.0 report :wink: 

ric-flair-woo.jpg

Edited by Spiderturtle

The more i look at the 5.5 on HA, I'm guessing people assumed because of the creasing it was over-graded, that it was a 5.0 or maybe 4.5 just without chips and they treated it as such. But still, having that 5.5 even if over-grade i'm surprised at the 38k price. last year, woulda been amazing. This year? disappointment. Guess it goes to show what perspective can do to us.

55 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

The same thing when you stop bidding in auctions.

57 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Only 7.0 copies are being affected by spiderturtle 

That’s a very specific book though ... when you remove the winning bidder/buyer of what seems like every copy, prices are affected (up or down)...but there will be some  effect I suspect. 

When ive  stopped bidding after winning multiple copies of a book, prices seem to dip 1-2 bidding increments. 

I suspect af15 will be immune, but it is a legitimate question (even though my initial intent was not that)

Edited by G.A.tor