• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

sure, this must be true some of the time. but does everyone with an AF15 suddenly need the money now? it's highly unlikely that they all need the money now. collectors saw the price of this book explode awhile back and thought about it for awhile, and then decided to cash in. except now the market is falling. why they would still choose to 'cash in' now that the book seems to be worth less than 3 months ago is the question i have. they can't all suddenly need the money, come on. if this were the case there would have been just as many books on online auctions last year, which there weren't. there isn't a sudden recession that none of us is aware of. i would guess that soon we'll see supply taper off as collectors clue in that the book has been slumping of late. at least i hope so. 

They might "need" the money now if they think they'll get more now than later. 

1 minute ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i thought bp meant either brittle pages or british petroleum, but neither seems to apply to these books. 

Bad pricing more like.....

In my world it stands for "Blood Pressure" but  I see this as a sort of slow motion profit taking in the stock market that didn't work out when a lot of people had high confidence in the market. Following up a major rush on a stock during a one week session in profit taking is often referred to as a form of day trading.  I don't think this is much different really. I take note of a couple of books and may need some help since I no longer subscribe to GPA but again, a 5.0 went last Christmas for 29K. A 4.0 went in early summer at 36K Those were both substantive increases for those grades. Bob Storms lists on his website in notable sales in the last 90 days some very impressive sales. They are worth looking at. Look at the one Metropolitan sold. Mine was one of that group, 

So, after seeing that growth spurt, I can certainly see a rush to the altar if one wants instant satisfaction instead of a long term overview, particularly in those mid grades.  If someone in fact owned a book that they got on the cheap, they could get a cash advance coming close to what they paid in the first place. That gives them money to buy more books. 

It's still the case that no matter how good you are in reading the market, not a soul on earth can definitively say the day it will go down.  I don't happen to think that the AF15 is on a slide at all. Supply put way too many books out there at one time and it became a buyers market is all.  Squeeze supply and see what happens then. Comics aren't immune from normal market forces. 

8 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

If Chipping is really not considered a defect from long term handling but is viewed as a production flaw, why is it that  some have it and some don't?

Because when you're printing 100,000's of a single coming, the production quality changes over the print run. Inks run out (which is how you get color variation), cutting blades get dull (which is how you get chipping and pre chipping), staples don't always get placed properly, covers don't always get cut square, etc, etc.

These were throw away magazines, not hand crafted artwork.

Marvel chipping also happens on DC books, just not as often as on Marvels because DC had a larger financial backing and could afford better quality production.

Marvel was a fledgling company that was operating on a shoe string budget.

8 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

It may be the case that as is suggested, Chipping is factored in with other issues. I fail to see that reflected in the final price books are realizing.

So you don't see well centered copies sell for much more than miswrapped and miscut copies?

You don't see poorer page quality sell for less than optimal page quality copies?

I would disagree with you. Final prices realized always factor in things such as quality and eye appeal. MC is just one thing out of many that collectors consider when buying.

And like I said, some don't care about it in much the same way that they are not picky about other defects. It's not a science. It's all just personal preference.

23 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Because when you're printing 100,000's of a single coming, the production quality changes over the print run. Inks run out (which is how you get color variation), cutting blades get dull (which is how you get chipping and pre chipping), staples don't always get placed properly, covers don't always get cut square, etc, etc.

Marvel chipping also happens on DC books, just not as often as on Marvels because DC had a larger financial backing and could afford better quality production.

So you don't see well centered copies sell for much more than miswrapped and miscut copies?

You don't see poorer page quality sell for less than optimal page quality copies?

I would disagree with you. Final prices realized always factor in things such as quality and eye appeal. MC is just one thing out of many that collectors consider when buying.

And like I said, some don't care about it in much the same way that they are not picky about other defects. It's not a science. It's all just personal preference.

Well, I see lots  of things including what you refer to. I continue to see inconsistencies in grading in books which are having substantial effect on the final sales.  A 6.0 at 45K is more than aberrant. Finally, at the bottom line, I see chipping as a major downer in presentation, far more so than other issues.  I'm just looking at the final sales price and my real point all along is why people would utilize auctions as opposed to dealers with connections that deliver which do not give you the same risk at all. . 

14 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

Hi everyone, 

quick question, anyone know of any af-15 thefts recently? I saw an ad with one for sale and it looked a little low. Wanna check and see if any scammers  are out there b4 i check it out

thanks

joe bizzarro

@Iceman had an AF stolen. Please send him a PM

2 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:
2 hours ago, BIZZARRO said:

Hi everyone, 

quick question, anyone know of any af-15 thefts recently? I saw an ad with one for sale and it looked a little low. Wanna check and see if any scammers  are out there b4 i check it out

thanks

joe bizzarro

@Iceman had an AF stolen. Please send him a PM

You should also include @Guardian Comics in the PM as he was also affected.

It was my former copy, CGC 6.0 OWW pages, Marvel chipping on the right side.

Does this sound like the book?

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You should start your own thread.... Ask roy ! you can be like the silver age Gator

4 minutes ago, paul747 said:

You should start your own thread.... Ask roy ! you can be like the silver age Gator

:acclaim:

Somewhere out there Bob Storms is rolling his eyes.

lol

1 hour ago, paul747 said:

Bob can start his own real time complete price guide.

You mean Mr. Bob "is it my job to make you money" Storms?

lol

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Saw ice mans picture, It was not the af-15 I saw the picture of (right side would

be a dead give away) The one I saw was a lot lower grade.

might be legit, I just got spooked at his price point. 

17 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

Saw ice mans picture, It was not the af-15 I saw the picture of (right side would

be a dead give away) The one I saw was a lot lower grade.

might be legit, I just got spooked at his price point. 

I went and got a serial number off the picture, I ran it through the verify certification tool online and it does not pop up. Can someone please double check the cert number. 

Can it be a knockoff? Cert number 0165853001

7 hours ago, paul747 said:

The pence copy is bright and sharp. 

Isn't it! And no chipping either @paul747. And yet, despite coming off of the same presses at the same time, and being considerably rarer, it commands barely half the price of the cents copy. Someone got themselves a bargain there....