• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Probably so, when this CGC 4.0 graded copy with no Marvel chipping managed to fetched only $24K in yesterday's CC auction:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=768336

Yeah i lucked out on the sale, having known that sale prices of AF 15 were at its peak that time and had a gut feeling they would go down later.

2 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Again, it depends on the severity level. Did you see the 5.0 posted a few pages ago? I'd probably take that book over a chipped 6.0. Aesthetics, aesthetics, aesthetics...how the book appears to you and me.

I agree.  It's actually refreshing to think that buyers would trust their own eyes and buy a book they love, rather than being completely bound by the number on the label.

When spending this much money, there is no reason to settle for an ugly book, whatever your definition of "ugly" may be.  That's true if you're a collector who wants to like what you see when you look at your collection, and it's also true if you're an investor / speculator who wants to make sure you have the widest possible market for when you resell.

Based on my observations, Any marker writing, chipping, ugly dark stains, etc can severely lower the price of this book. A nice clean copy no matter what grade it is would sell well. I've seen lower graded unchipped copies that looks much nicer sell for more than a higher graded copy with chipping, and not only AF 15, but with almost any book across the board.

24 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I agree.  It's actually refreshing to think that buyers would trust their own eyes and buy a book they love, rather than being completely bound by the number on the label.

When spending this much money, there is no reason to settle for an ugly book, whatever your definition of "ugly" may be.  That's true if you're a collector who wants to like what you see when you look at your collection, and it's also true if you're an investor / speculator who wants to make sure you have the widest possible market for when you resell.

I've never changed my view on comics.I see the book not a label. Labels come and go. I always focus on the book.

Edited by peewee22

5 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

+10

I don't think anyone has said that you should pay more for ugly books than attractive ones.

What I am seeing in my time on this chat forum (14 years) is I have noticed much more chatter in regards to defect affecting prices than there used to be.

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I don't think anyone has said that you should pay more for ugly books than attractive ones.

What I am seeing in my time on this chat forum (14 years) is I have noticed much more chatter in regards to defect affecting prices than there used to be.

ive been here since 2009, its always been a topic mc vs no mc. the 1st few Pages of the extinct old af15 club mentioned and discussed it. gator led the charge With His eye for superior no mc copies fetching stronger prices 

2 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

ive been here since 2009, its always been a topic mc vs no mc. the 1st few Pages of the extinct old af15 club mentioned and discussed it. gator led the charge With His eye for superior no mc copies fetching stronger prices 

So it's GAtor's fault? lol

I think that is around the time I started noticing it. Early on when I joined there wasn't nearly as much discussion on it (or other things like writing, etc)

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:
1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

I think eventually it will settle down as it doesn't make sense for a chipped 6.0 to sell for less than an unchipped 5.0 or 5.5, does it?

Again, it depends on the severity level. Did you see the 5.0 posted a few pages ago? I'd probably take that book over a chipped 6.0. Aesthetics, aesthetics, aesthetics...how the book appears to you and me.

Roy;

Highly doubt it and would definitely agree with PW that it really depends on the severity of the Marvel chipping.  (thumbsu

Same with PLOD's and GLOD's and yet there is still such a stigma against them, although definitely less than when CGC first started up as collectors are finally starting to get a bit wiser now.  Yet we still see situations where a GLOD 9.0 copy of a HTF GA book with a clipped coupon will still sell for only half of what a raw VG copy of the same book will sell for.  :screwy:

Go figure that as I guess once something becomes a stigma, it's usually pretty tough to overcome even though it doesn't really make sense sometimes. 

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:
1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I've never changed my view on comics.I see the book not a label. Labels come and go. I always focus on the book.

+1

A definite shift in thinking to a view that also allows you to apply your own common sense, especially when grading can tend to be rather inconsistent over an extended period of time.  hm  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Spiderturtle said:

Wow,  I guess Gator has been appointed the AF #15 key analyst/spokesperson.  His keen eye and all that wisdom.  I gotta hang around him more.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

In my opinion, there is currently an over reaction to Marvel chipping based largely on the discussions in this thread.

There is fear and people are afraid of buying a chipped copy because of it (or at least paying equal money to a chipped copy).

This exaggeration happens when people only think about long term investment. It's unfortunate.

I think eventually it will settle down as it doesn't make sense for a chipped 6.0 to sell for less than an unchipped 5.0 or 5.5, does it?

It makes a lot of sense. Some people don't think a book with that chipping should be a 6.0 , Buy the book not the CGC # my opinion.

7 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Wow,  I guess Gator has been appointed the AF #15 key analyst/spokesperson.  His keen eye and all that wisdom.  I gotta hang around him more.

Let's start another GAtor thread. :idea:

58 minutes ago, PRTeckie said:

I am curious to find out what everyone thinks about the 6.0 with mc that sold on Comicconnect:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=772380

If this book had no chipping, what grade would it carry? Obviously we do not know about any interior defects, but chipping aside, how would this book grade?

Since I was the person who sold this copy let me say this.

The consignor did make money on it even after the commission..

Without the marvel chipping it probably would have graded a 7.0+.

It has really nice paper,  had very rich colors and frankly the biggest detractor was the marvel chipping.

But as I said to the consignor auctions are impersonal.  There is nothing but a description and two pictures to go on.  With all the chatter about how bad marvel chipping is the rest of the book is ignored.

Without getting into a should it have been sold on a dealer website or auction house it should have sold for a better number then it did.

13 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Since I was the person who sold this copy let me say this.

The consignor did make money on it even after the commission..

Without the marvel chipping it probably would have graded a 7.0+.

It has really nice paper,  had very rich colors and frankly the biggest detractor was the marvel chipping.

But as I said to the consignor auctions are impersonal.  There is nothing but a description and two pictures to go on.  With all the chatter about how bad marvel chipping is the rest of the book is ignored.

Without getting into a should it have been sold on a dealer website or auction house it should have sold for a better number then it did.

1 month from now it could easily push > 50. Alot of factors play into the sale. Who, when, where, etc.

Edited by peewee22

Thank you for your reply, blazingbob. As I suspected, that is one beautiful book--except primarily for the chipping. I personally would much rather have that book than a 6.0 copy with no mc, but less color and noticeable spiderweb creases. In the mid-grade range, it's all a matter of what you want and what you can live with. Hence the much higher prices for 7.0's and above. Aside from their relative rarity, there is a lot less give and take when trying to choose a copy to buy.

1 hour ago, PRTeckie said:

Thank you for your reply, blazingbob. As I suspected, that is one beautiful book--except primarily for the chipping. I personally would much rather have that book than a 6.0 copy with no mc, but less color and noticeable spiderweb creases. In the mid-grade range, it's all a matter of what you want and what you can live with. Hence the much higher prices for 7.0's and above. Aside from their relative rarity, there is a lot less give and take when trying to choose a copy to buy.

The 6.0 your book?