THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
33 33

10,648 posts in this topic

4,522 posts
7 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

The truth is like or not this hobby has changed, I am 52 and started collecting in the late 1970s up to the 90s crash for many of us from this era or even a decade before the hobby was in its infancy and was just that a hobby, I say this with no question as it is 100% true any of us from the early days to the 2nd wave of collectors which is where I am from could and did have the ability to really complete almost any silver age comic run during this era with just a little bit of hustle & If you were a bit older say in your mid-20s in late 70s to mid-1980s & had a job and were committed you could to some extent complete & afford MOST Golden age books in decent condition, ( the super keys were even still attainable to some extent but even then it may have cost you your income tax check to get a mid-grade Batman #1 ) But the introduction of graded comics has had a huge impact on the hobby imho  ( I will let you decide if its good or bad) but as the books get older, harder to find & the hobby more global & characters even more iconic & the value increases beyond what any of us could ever have believed possible the books are no longer viewed as a hobby but as legitimate investment & that changed everything. I mean let's be 100% straight here if in 1983 you had told me comics would one day be put into sealed plastic cases and be worth more because some other guy decided what the grade was I would have said in my best 1980s cool voice " dude your fuc%in crazy" its a comic its meant to be read! who would want a sealed comic? All this while AC/DC Back in Black was blasting in the background lol.

I think we will always have 2 sets of collectors: the pre slab collectors and the post slab collectors. At 57, I am a stone age pre slab collector. (thumbsu

8,726 posts
10 hours ago, SECollector said:

Thanks for sharing these thoughts. And yes, I suppose third party grading was a huge game changer. And of course the internet. Both opened the market to collectors that don't have access to cons and who wouldn't dare spending five figures for books without inspecting them in person if they didn't come graded and sealed by a widely accepted independent "authority". I am one of these and I bet there are hundreds or thousands more like me.

Although I can definitely understand the rationale here, surprisingly this was not actually true in all cases.  :gossip:

I can still clearly remember back around the mid 90's in '94 and '95 when GA was super red hot and dealers would offer multiples to top of guide for pedigree books sight unseen and simply based upon their reputation alone.  :screwy:

I remembered being offered 4 figures or 5X what I had paid a few years earlier for a book which I had in my personal collection.  When I told the dealer he was crazy since he had not seen the actual book and it was not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, he said it didn't matter as he already had ready buyers in place who would be more than happy to pay 50% above what he was offering me for the book.  :screwy:  :screwy:

669 posts
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Although I can definitely understand the rationale here, surprisingly this was not actually true in all cases.  :gossip:

I can still clearly remember back around the mid 90's in '94 and '95 when GA was super red hot and dealers would offer multiples to top of guide for pedigree books sight unseen and simply based upon their reputation alone.  :screwy:

I remembered being offered 4 figures or 5X what I had paid a few years earlier for a book which I had in my personal collection.  When I told the dealer he was crazy since he had not seen the actual book and it was not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, he said it didn't matter as he already had ready buyers in place who would be more than happy to pay 50% above what he was offering me for the book.  :screwy:  :screwy:

OK, wow. Maybe prices were on a totally different level and a difference of 0.5 - 1 grade point wasnt translated to hundreds or thousands of dollars? (shrug)

20,364 posts
On 6/9/2017 at 1:45 PM, drbanner said:

The AF 15 data on the left in the graphic below includes grades from 3.5 to 6.0 and has a couple of the Peak-AF 15 prices, it doesn't include "those crazy CC auction prices" (which I guess Metro will eventually report to GPA) and of course doesn't include the Clink prices since they don't report. The data on the right show Peak-Hulk1 occurring about 2 years ago before prices stagnated. I'll revisit this in six months and we'll see if the AF15 graphic continues to look like it does now...or more like the Hulk 1 data. (thumbsu

Hulk1_AF15_35_60_June%209_zpsmqmwklkm.jp

Ok, a year and a half later and here we are - Hulk 1 continues to show some traction with prices back to/exceeding their 2015/2016 peaks, while AF 15 generally remains below peak prices of a few years ago. The action in 2018 was focused on the other Marvel Silver Age Keys which have all blown up this year.

1001047248_af15hulk1_Dec2018.thumb.jpg.9589807a19da00a3faa96c76efc55ea9.jpg

Edited by drbanner