• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2017 at 9:47 AM, Aman619 said:

the million dollar AF15 sale WAS done because it truly was thought to be the one and only 9.6.  Many of us have made this mistake, not fully realizing the potential for more high grade copies out there, and the impact of pressing potential to existing copies. Buying the current highest graded copy today carries with it a far more realistic expectation that your purchase will not stay alone at the top

On 3/12/2017 at 10:54 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Also, by the time the public sale of the first AF 15 9.6 did occur, CGC had been around for what, 10 or 11 years ?  By then people were well acquainted with the perils of over paying for a book based solely on it being the "one highest graded" copy.  

Truth is, whether there is just one or four copies , a 9.6 copy of AF 15 is still a top of the census copy, that basically never comes available, and will probably always be one of the single most desired books in all of the hobby.

My take on this which has not changed ever since I got here is that when you are buying the single highest graded copy of an in-demand book like AF 15 or IH 181, you are really also paying a huge additional premium for the label, as opposed to the true value of the underlying book itself.  :gossip:

This is the exact reason why additional copies of the same book showing up in the marketplace within the same time frame will normally result in lower prices, as evident with the subsequent private sales of the 9.6 graded copies of AF 15.  This is also why many here feel that if the CGC 9.9 graded copy of Hulk 181 were to hit the market again, it would not yet be able to receive the same 6-figure price it got the first time.  This is also the same reason why 9.8 graded copies of Hulk 181's were dropping or staying flat, and yet at the same time, all copies below the 9.8 condition grades and even raw copies continued to move up in price. 

For the uber high grades, as additional copies come into the marketplace, the value of the premium attached to the label will continue to shrink.  For in-demand books in these nosebleed grades, their valuations in the marketplace will only increase when the true value of the underlying book itself increases by a larger amount than by how much the decreasing premium value of this label has dropped by.  hm

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

As I've said before, there is no way anyone who is selling a copy will do a discount on it because it will eventually sell.  It's such a very fluid book and a safe bet.

Agreed....AF15 sells itself!! It is the #3 book in the entire hobby behind AC1 and TEC27 and I truly doubt that will change over time.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591
Text

13 hours ago, ickwinzs said:

I saw a 6.0 on the ICE website site sell for 42000.00 a few weeks ago.

That copy sold for $40K. $40K is the right price range for a 6.0 IMO

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Maybe I should sell my 4.5 copy hm

That all depends on what your motive is....I can't tell you to sell or not in the end that is really up to you. I doubt very much that your 4.5 has even come close to maximizing out as far as value goes (maybe in 10 years from now).

Text

8 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

That all depends on what your motive is....I can't tell you to sell or not in the end that is really up to you. I doubt very much that your 4.5 has even come close to maximizing out as far as value goes (maybe in 10 years from now).

I do love my AF 15 and need to own a copy, but I'm more of a GA collector at heart and there is so much great books up for sale now and later on this year.  Selling my AF 15 would definitely help big time to fund some of the books I am eyeing. I dunno, we'll see how I feel...

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I do love my AF 15 and need to own a copy, but I'm more of a GA collector at heart and there is so much great books up for sale now and later on this year.  Selling my AF 15 would definitely help big time to fund some of the books I am eyeing. I dunno, we'll see how I feel...

Are the GA books you want going up as fast as AF15? If not hold onto it for another 5 years then sell it and buy the books you want. My guess is you will regret it if you sell it now....all those GA books will show up again they always do over time.

Text

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

What does your 4.5 look like can you post a image of the front and back? If it has a lot of marvel chipping then sell it and buy your GA books. But if it is a nice looking 4.5 I would keep it for a least 5 more years (10 years would be the best).

I made the mistake of selling my 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle a few years back for a little under 13 000$ and now it's a 40 000$ card....it sucks but like you I wanted to buy something else with the money.....it was not worth it. If I had held onto it I could have purchased all the same stuff I wanted and pocketed a bunch of extra money. The other cards I purchased are worth the exact same as when I purchased them after selling the Mantle so what was the rush. Now I miss my 1952 Mantle but there is no way I will pay 40 000$ to buy another one for me it is just not worth that kind of money.

Text

12 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Maybe I should sell my 4.5 copy hm

But i think the idea on this one is that its pre-press allowed graded a 4.5, and it was graded brutally hard judging be appearance. If this is as it looks its gonna be a 5.5 with ccs pressing so they are bidding accordingly. If they think that I bet its going to 30,000 on final bid.