• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Feels cool...just hard to believe these prices. Withe new Spidey film and Disney support for the character...sky the limit.

Agreed Spidey is loved by so many!!

Once HG copies moves...LG will move up to. For a matter of fact LG out perform HG copies last seven years.

Yes and even the copies with some defects will continue to rise as well they are still after all AF15's!! Just like the key golden age books in lower grades with defects.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

4 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

The boat to own AF 15's for a decent price seems to be long gone now.. Unless you settle for chipped copies.

The ship has sailed. Especially how these copies had performed...and a BIG premium over chipped copies. Although some chips copies presents very nicely. Not putting down chip copies, since I have a few low grades with very minor chips.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Especially how these copies had performed...and a BIG premium over chipped copies. Although some chips copies presents very nicely. Not putting down chip copies, since I have a few low grades with very minor chips.

Well that was fast right after these auctions the AF 7.5 sold on ComicLink for 85 000$.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1164114

6 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

The boat to own AF 15's for a decent price seems to be long gone now.. Unless you settle for chipped copies.

My very first thought was "That just priced me out of a decent lower grade copy".  Pretty sure this will trickle down to ASM as well.  Seems like a very solid trend.

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

My very first thought was "That just priced me out of a decent lower grade copy".  Pretty sure this will trickle down to ASM as well.  Seems like a very solid trend.

Don't forget these where 3 tops notch looking books for the grades so you may still be able to buy one with some minor issues before they also get to be very high in value.

Don't give up hope there is still some time maybe another year before those all increase beyond your means.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591
Text

10 hours ago, zhamlau said:

As sick as it sounds....the 155k copy might have been a steal. If the 9.0 holds true to that 60-75% increase across the board pricing from 2014 to today....then it should sell for 340k or more. If that happens its gonna make even paying 155k for a 8.5 seem like a good price. Wow this book is dangerous. I think there might have been an evolution of thought on this book and it's driving the run on prices. This book IMO is clearly as important a book as Tec 27 and Action 1. The cultural and financial powerhouse that is Marvel is built on the back of this book in particular. Its an iconic cover with striking imagery that is so widely known you can find images of it on clothing and home decor items at retail shops like Target and Pier One.

This book is the '52 Mantle of comics. Its cultural importance is driving its value as much as its relative collector value and scarcity. This 9.0 will tell a big story if that increase holds across the board. If it does it probably means the interest in this book probably isn't an easily popped bubble of temporary interest and speculation.  We shall see.

Honestly, I was trying to not get into any arguments but the final sale price over 360k clearly was gonna happen. Everything is related especially in comics. Outliers are only outliers if you limit the range of items your judging against. Across the board on commons the price has gone up astronomically for the book if you look from 2014 to now. Copies without chips are king. The book is on part of the trinity of major firsts, and the only one readily available to the buying public. Its the 52 mantle, all rules dont apply to it and wont for the foreseeable future.

I'm not saying its right or good for the hobby, but you gotta call it as it goes. This just keeps happening in various markets and various sites/venues. The 155k was a steal when you compare it to its siblings going off now. What really got me was it seems a 5.0 sold for 57k. The 9.0 when you look at it sorta makes some sense, but that 5.0 sale is basically saying the top hasn't been reached.

Something happened and everyone just woke up to how good this item is. It happened in comic art years back, pages i could buy for 20 bucks became 2000 dollars in like 20 years (odd flow to that). This might not last sure, but it happened and its gotta be respected as more then random one offs. Man...what a strange time to collect eh? Hopefully the book price slows down a little and stables. No one wins long term with chaos.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Just need a super low graded Action 1 to complete the trinity. Oh and I do have a 52 mantle as well.

Wish I still had my 52 topps Mantle it was a beauty for the grade. I will settle now for a 51 Bowman.

I was gonna ask who the hell all these people were buying all these high grade AF#15s, but there's only 46 universal copies 8.0 and higher.  I guess that's still a very small pool of buyers.   Still, I'm jealous.

21 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:
On 2017-03-15 at 9:10 PM, VintageComics said:

If people think that 4.5 copies are now worth $30K then I'm going to say that it's not healthy and the sky is about to start falling.

Not $30k yet but how about $27k and yes the sky is about to start falling :angel:

Many price boosts that have happened over the last 5-6 years on AF #15 according to my observation by being preceded by what looks to be an upgradeable copy (or a stellar copy for the grade) raising the price point and then inferior books following suit.

The current 4.5 on CC is most certainly upgrade-able based on what I see.

Someone who saw the new price point on the CC copy probably panicked and fought to get into an inferior copy at Heritage, likely not realizing that the CC copy is going strong because it looks upgrade-able.

Same thing happened a few years ago. AF #15 plateaued, then an upgrade-able 7.0 went for a record price (I knew the copy because I was offered it but missed out on the opportunity because I didn't act fast enough), and then the panic started and other 7.0 and comparable copies started going for record numbers.

That's what I believe happened here.

Yes it is likely going to be the new price point now, but it doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Right now we're in a Helicopter economy and very little makes sense, though.

14 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

I think that just sold on ComicConnect for the full asking price.  Someone double-check me on this, please.

10 hours ago, namisgr said:

Comic books are not stock shares, and their value will vary based on the particular features of each and every copy.  In other words, don't expect a 9.0 copy with several spine ticks, a tanning stripe along the bottom edge of the back cover, and a paper breaking crease on the back cover bottom left corner to fetch a price based solely on the sale prices of other copies sporting 8.5, 9.0, or 9.2 numerical grades.

I looked at the CC 9.0 copy extensively while in NYC. The book has an unpressed back cover crease and lots of back cover dirt. I even thought that it may not look out of place in a 'loose 9.2' holder. That alone might make the price strong for the sale. Again, probably not a good copy to use as a normal price point.

Some of you know that I was the seller of the 5.0 that sold for $57K.  I told the couple who own it that the timing was perfect for this book.  I told them not to be shocked if it sold for $40-45K, but I was shocked at its final price.  This is such a beautiful thing for these nice people who truly need the money.  The owner of this book is going to get this reaction from everyone who sees it, "Wow!  That's a beautiful copy!"

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I looked at the CC 9.0 copy extensively while in NYC. The book has an unpressed back cover crease and lots of back cover dirt. I even thought that it may not look out of place in a 'loose 9.2' holder. That alone might make the price strong for the sale. Again, probably not a good copy to use as a normal price point.

It's hard to project the price range on AF15s above 8.0. What used to the +-10k is now +-25k and climbing. Simply amazing indeed.