• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

Since we are back on topic -- sort of -- and discussing the Kirby vs Ditko versions of the AF15 cover, I thought I'd repost this version I did a week before the old boards went away.  I never saw a comment which I hope was due to the switchover.!

we have all seen ditkos rejected cover art, but I always got the feeling that it lookd so inferior to Kirbys far more serious and powerful art due to the dashed off coloring it got when first published years later on newsprint in one of the annuals.  So he it is with the same dark moody coloring and graphics as the published cover.

we can still debate which artist captured the character better. But I think is a much closer contest with comparable coloring.

AF15-DitkoCGC.jpg

18 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

Since we are back on topic -- sort of -- and discussing the Kirby vs Ditko versions of the AF15 cover, I thought I'd repost this version I did a week before the old boards went away.  I never saw a comment which I hope was due to the switchover.!

we have all seen ditkos rejected cover art, but I always got the feeling that it lookd so inferior to Kirbys far more serious and powerful art due to the dashed off coloring it got when first published years later on newsprint in one of the annuals.  So he it is with the same dark moody coloring and graphics as the published cover.

we can still debate which artist captured the character better. But I think is a much closer contest with comparable coloring.

AF15-DitkoCGC.jpg

Does not give the same vibe at all!!

5 hours ago, Aman619 said:

AF15-DitkoCGC.jpg

Love this version better. It depicts what is happening better and better suits an "introduction" comic. Better characterization and now we have a frontal "intro" shot of Spidey and the burglar. Ditko should have been rewarded the cover too. It should be all Ditko. (As much as I love Kirby, he had no business drawing the cover of AF15 although he did a fab job). We now see people...in windows, closer views of onlookers, and even a drive by curious vehicle.  And the Ditko Spidey...the face, webbing, shoes, the skinnier look...wow! Even the dude in the window looks like Peter Parker. :insane: We see more of the webbing Spidey is swinging from. Can't beat all this. So, where do we send our books to get the cover replaced?

So you drew this, aman? I guess I missed it in the other Boards. Simply amazing dude!

Edited by peewee22

7 hours ago, Aman619 said:

AF15-DitkoCGC.jpg

That is excellent @Aman619 and really shows how good Ditko's version actually was. Like Spike, I also prefer it to the Kirby version. Iconic as that now is, I think the Ditko version better suits the Spidey as he was depicted in the early issues. A little scrawny and quirky. The Kirby version is more serious and masculine somehow. 

Anyway, now this thread is back to talking about AF 15 again, here is my copy, hanging out with a few friends (basically, the only comics I kept after the Great 8,000 ASM Completist Clear Out). Can you see her?:

20170522_125212.thumb.jpg.cdc7970d5ee8b480fdd4c792ce099dc4.jpg

There she is!

20170522_125250.thumb.jpg.a74f8652e2d984f87451a48ea141d11f.jpg

9 hours ago, Aman619 said:

AF15-DitkoCGC.jpg

:golfclap: I love it. Thank you for showing how it may have looked if published as the cover almost 50 years earlier. I like it better. I've always admired the way Ditko portrayed realism in his comic art, right down to the burgler's left pant leg falling down from his shoe. I love Kirby's cover, but Ditko gave Spidey a better hold on the burgler.

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

That is excellent @Aman619 and really shows how good Ditko's version actually was. Like Spike, I also prefer it to the Kirby version. Iconic as that now is, I think the Ditko version better suits the Spidey as he was depicted in the early issues. A little scrawny and quirky. The Kirby version is more serious and masculine somehow. 

Anyway, now this thread is back to talking about AF 15 again, here is my copy, hanging out with a few friends (basically, the only comics I kept after the Great 8,000 ASM Completist Clear Out). Can you see her?:

There she is!

What OA Pages do you have?

BEAUTIFUL !  Love them both !  Ditko's may be a little too "busy" to be iconic in the long run ?  Not really cover swipe fodder either.....plus I'd miss that under arm webbing.........................great stuff though seeing it with the same coloring   well done 

11 hours ago, Aman619 said:

...Spidey is still gonna swing right into that building, but ...

Now that you said it Spidey is going to go "crotch first" into that guys face.  

Remove that building on the left and gold. I think it makes it a tad busy but would still have been an excellent cover and yes, it is more "Spidey" than the Kirby version but as Gator said, the Kirby rendition is so ingrained it is difficult to "replace".

Still a very cool cover. Nice work with the colouring!

2 hours ago, piper said:
4 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

There she is!

Read more  

What OA Pages do you have?

Good spot @piper ! And look, the  boards truncation software has cropped them for us!

Three Ross Andru pieces, ASM #137, ASM #179 and a MTU #3 page. Andru was always my favourite  growing up and it was my main ambition to get a Spidey page. As is often the case with buses, three came along at once. :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Back to Amazing Fantasy #15, I found this scan in my files of an old Alan Class British reprint that I used to own before the clear out. I'm sure it's been noted here before many times, but it had a B&W reprint of Amazing Fantasy #15 in it. I sold it quite cheaply as I recall and only recently saw that it was selling quite well. Wish I'd kept it now!

59231dd781899_OOTW17.thumb.JPG.3c6ecf40c56fcbd72481cf3d01b3cdd6.JPG

Agree with most that the Ditko cover has also ingrained in my head after years of looking at it. I also like the simplicity of the cover.  Kirby cover ain't bad at all, but to me looks more "modern" and not have that "vintage" feel.

1 minute ago, Dark Knight said:

Agree with most that the Ditko cover has also ingrained in my head after years of looking at it. I also like the simplicity of the cover.  Kirby cover ain't bad at all, but to me looks more "modern" and not have that "vintage" feel.

I wonder what we'd all be saying now if the Ditko was the original, and the Kirby had just been unearthed....hm

The CGC 8.0  on ComicLink is now at 170 000$!! I wonder how much the CVA attribute affects the final price compared to a CGC 8.0 without one?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1178499&id=1178499

Edited by SC22