• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You're a very able grader. Many are not. Some people just find added confidence in another opinion. Especially when they can't reach the Ask GAtor thread to ask if it's a good copy for the grade. ;-)

Has the service caught on? I thought it was all but defunct?

Just now, G.A.tor said:

Has the service caught on? I thought it was all but defunct?

I don't know whether it's defunct or not but the books I followed with CVA seemed to fetch strong numbers.

Not every time but the times I noticed the stamp it did.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I don't know whether it's defunct or not but the books I followed with CVA seemed to fetch strong numbers.

Not every time but the times I noticed the stamp it did.

So only a fraction of collectors out there Recognize CGC ,  and only a fraction of CGC collectors Recognize cva...sounds like little to no realistic market impact?

5 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

So only a fraction of collectors out there Recognize CGC ,  and only a fraction of CGC collectors Recognize cva...sounds like little to no realistic market impact?

If you look at it that way it looks like it makes little impact, but if you analyze the segment of people only looking at buying CGC graded books online then it becomes more impactful.

And if it brings stronger market prices (as it does for the big books I've watched) then it might have some value for people.

Don't get me wrong, I don't use it and I'm not trying to push it on people. I just see the value.

For someone like you who already chooses superior copies for the grade it will have little to no value as all of your books are GAtor approved.

26 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If you look at it that way it looks like it makes little impact, but if you analyze the segment of people only looking at buying CGC graded books online then it becomes more impactful.

And if it brings stronger market prices (as it does for the big books I've watched) then it might have some value for people.

Don't get me wrong, I don't use it and I'm not trying to push it on people. I just see the value.

For someone like you who already chooses superior copies for the grade it will have little to no value as all of your books are GAtor approved.

I'm of the opinion at least when it comes to big books the CVA sticker will mean a better price realized for the book at the big house auction sites.

Will it be significant? What percentage more will be paid for a book with this verification? Will it continue to hold it's higher value over time? Will CVA be relevant in 5 years?

These are questions I don't have an answers for....

Edited by Philreal

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You mention that CVA brings stronger market prices for the books that you have watched, but since CVA only stickers those books with better eye appeal, then in theory those books probably would have brought stronger market prices anyway (since a lot of folks pay stronger for books with better eye appeal, with or without a CVA sticker). That said, I wouldn't be surprised if a CVA stickered did still have some positive impact on the sale price, since it adds just a little bit more assurance to those that aren't comfortable in judging eye appeal with their own eyes (or for someone that doesn't want to request a back cover scan).

43 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

lol I'm going to be SC22 for a minute - the 8.0 is at $221K :whatthe:

Holy Cannoli, and now it's up to $221,009!  Must be the CVA sticker.  :shy:

I really like the 5.0 in that auction, has just about perfect centering, no date stamps or writing, and no Marvel Chipping. :cloud9:

17 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Guys this book is #1 in the hobby you know like that Mickey Mouse card.

Plus Mickey Mouse is backed by Marvel, so the sky is the limit for longevity of your investment.

21 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Guys this book is #1 in the hobby you know like that Mickey Mouse card.

You guys talk value ALL the time and once in a while you guys go back to talking about the book itself.

This is a whole new territory that AF 15 value levels has been reaching. Most of us take a conservative approach when it comes to guessing the final price. It's for the longevity of the hobby.

Looks like the other major SA keys will have a lift in price as well being looked upon as a "bargain" right now compared to AF 15.  It's usually the case. AF 15 is the drive of the SA, everything else follows behind. 

I'm still predicting ASM 1 will get the biggest bump in this. Still contains the origin retold story and first ever spiderman titled book.

Edited by Dark Knight

13 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

This is a whole new territory that AF 15 value levels has been reaching. Most of us take a conservative approach when it comes to guessing the final price. It's for the longevity of the hobby.

Maybe just maybe this was long overdue for AF15!! It will slow down eventually but for the moment it's breaking new ground and I don't see anything wrong with that (if that is what people are willing to pay so be it)....if it was AC1 or TEC27 no one would be so shocked so why not AF15.

Most auction houses now call it the AC1 of the entire SA and they also use words like blue chip investment so if you think I have the slightest influence on the market your wrong....much bigger fish a calling it out so why would people not react to that. I just post results I don't write the auction descriptions.

Edited by SC22

2 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Maybe just maybe this was long overdue for AF15!! It will slow down eventually but for the moment it's making new ground and I don't see anything wrong with that....if it was AC1 or TEC27 no one would be so shocked so why not AF15.

Long overdue is definitely an understatement... AF 15 has been for the most part selling well every year and has seen a gain in price almost yearly.  Of course there were a few years where it got a short pull back but for the most part, the needle has always been pointing up.

3 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Long overdue is definitely an understatement... AF 15 has been for the most part selling well every year and has seen a gain in price almost yearly.  Of course there were a few years where it got a short pull back but for the most part, the needle has always been pointing up.

I know that what I meant is a once in a long while bigger boost (over years) like we are seen now. This may make it peak (once it does peak) for a while longer than usual before it continues upwards on a slower scale than we are seen now.

Edited by SC22