• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

A lot of catching up to do on this thread...

Prices continue to surprise on this book.  I always have thought that the book would continue to rise.   I figured it would eventually top out at 10K being the "entry level" price.   May happen sooner than I thought it would???    It's clearly the #3 book in the hobby.  If it were the same age as AC1 or Tec27 it would rival those prices. 

I like Aman's recolored Ditko cover much better than the rejected cover coloring (ASM700 variant).  I still prefer the heroic Kirby cover for the book (although I think Ditko was the right choice for Spidey).   

11 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

The ultimate respect for a key vintage comic. Reflects all of Lee, Ditko, and Kirby's hard work. :golfclap:

+1 You had great guts not to accept that once upon a time a monstrous offer.  (: I enjoy hanging out with you on the 8th level. :headbang:

2 hours ago, TeddieMercede said:

Ridiculous. Guess that copy is upgrade-able. 

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but I'm not so sure it's upgradeable although I haven't seen it up close. It could be a borderine 8.5 copy. Hard to tell without it in hand.

My personal opinion? I think mania has now hit and it's basing itself on the record prices of the 3 copies in CC a few months ago.

I don't think it has anything to do with the love of the character. I think investors are starting to feel like it's a no lose investment and even if they overpay now, in the long run they'll be OK.  That's the chatter I've been hearing.

6 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

+1 You had great guts not to accept that once upon a time a monstrous offer.  (: I enjoy hanging out with you on the 8th level. :headbang:

:insane:

I think its legit to talk about prices of AF 15 in the "i bought or want to buy an AF 15" thread so im always glad to see noteworthy auctions or prices on this book. Having said that, Im beyond shocked at these prices. Even if there is a big pull back, the market will be so effected by these prices they will still likely crush the 2016 prices.

3 hours ago, TeddieMercede said:

Ridiculous. Guess that copy is upgrade-able. 

Agreed. The scenario could also be one of the following:

- Neophytes with deep pockets in a bidding war?

- Pure market manipulation: perhaps some characters restricted by SEC regulations are applying their tricks here? Inside information that the movie is going to be a blockbuster where a flip will coincidentally take place around the film's release? Will there come a point when law enforcement eventually starts looking at stuff like this? Would not a be good thing for this hobby if that ever happens.

- Love to see who the winner is after the auction ends. 

Edited by bronze johnny

45 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but I'm not so sure it's upgradeable although I haven't seen it up close. It could be a borderine 8.5 copy. Hard to tell without it in hand.

My personal opinion? I think mania has now hit and it's basing itself on the record prices of the 3 copies in CC a few months ago.

I don't think it has anything to do with the love of the character. I think investors are starting to feel like it's a no lose investment and even if they overpay now, in the long run they'll be OK.  That's the chatter I've been hearing.

I agree with Roy. Already been down the upgrade route. At best, it might be an 8.5 (assuming....no book in hand). It's probably an investor thing...a "gotta have one" thing.

5 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

What are the chances that 2 people who own multiple copies in 8.0 are bidding it up to inflate the value of their books?

Not much.  But the chances of someone owning an 8.0 offering it to Comiclink to offer to the under bidder Is possible 

Edited by G.A.tor

3 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Not much.  But the chances of someone owning an 8.0 offering it to Comiclink to offer to the under better Is possible 

"Under Better"....Not sure if that was auto-correct on intentional but that is the BEST way to describe this.

Edited by zhamlau

8 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Not much.  But the chances of someone owning an 8.0 offering it to Comiclink to offer to the under bidder Is possible 

So if Gator has an 8...it's going to the under bidder. :nyah: This current price is unreal.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

"Under Better"....Not sure if that was auto-correct on intentional but that is the BEST way to describe this.

wish I was clever enough to have thought of that...was just siri not understanding me :blush:

the cc copy at 9.0 ended at $395K(basically $400k) just a month or so ago.  that's the benchmark for higher grades.  Looking at the census, one can see its hard to obtain 8.0 and above.  not many offered and if they were offered not many on the census to quench the demand. 

Edited by Spiderturtle

25 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

the cc copy at 9.0 ended at $395K(basically $400k) just a month or so ago.  that's the benchmark for higher grades.  Looking at the census, one can see its hard to obtain 8.0 and above.  not many offered and if they were offered not many on the census to quench the demand. 

That book was likely upgradeable and sold for crazy money because it was potentially upgradeable. That's not a true bench mark in my books.

But, current owners of copies want that to be the benchmark and if the market accepts it I suppose it will be one of sorts.

3 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

This current price is unreal.

I read something called 'the speed of money" years ago when the stock markets crashed in 2008.

It's something we talk about from time to time in the Watercooler. This is a short excerpt from a conversation we had last year on the same topic.

VintageComics said:
  delekkerste said:
but the market is skittish and no one wants to step in and buy anything that's going down.

Another trend that is becoming common in all markets. Information travels so quickly and the 'speed of money' has begun to travel so quickly, everyone is afraid of getting caught on the wrong end of the pendulum swing. Fear seems to rule the markets in this uncertainty.

On 2016-10-28 at 2:28 PM, delekkerste said:

What's scary is how unreliable price signals in this market are. You look at the price action in 2016, and the range for many/most stocks is staggeringly large. What is the "right" price of anything? I have a bunch of stocks that have suddenly fallen off a cliff over the past couple of months on nothing. How can I trust prevailing prices to be any kind of realistic barometer of what these stocks are actually worth?

What I find scary is that right now you can place this conversation in any market that's had strong appreciation over the last decade - stocks, cards, comics, cars, etc.