• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Very cool. I'm in Stoney Creek for those of you that don't know where that is it's right smack dab in middle of Toronto and Niagara Falls. I'm not SC22 this I can say with certainty . 

Welcome to the boards.  You should come to the Toronto Comic Book Show (Feb 18th), if you don't already.  Hands down the best one-day comic show.  We don't let Roy in but just about everyone else is welcome(ok I'm sure they would but he doesn't come).  Marc sets up (and Walt has just started to come by as well).

23 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

We struck deal Dec23/2017 huge amount of detective and batman keys plus marvel keys and biggest was 9.0 blue label first print tmnt #1. I knew Marc and built my collection up single handed in Hamilton when he was there as well as his old partner Wally. These guys get amazing books all the time . I didn't trade everything away only the stuff I felt I could replace easily.

Nice!  I would have trouble parting with a 9.0 TMNT #1.  That's an awesome book.  I've got a place north of North Bay so I'm looking forward to stopping at Marc's on the way up this summer.  LCS with anything but new books is a rarity in the states.  At least in my neck of the woods so I have fun stopping at a couple of shops once I'm in the motherland.  

It wasn't easy to let those books go but ... my limited window to get AF15 was disappearing . Aside from Marc I don't think anyone would have traded straight up without cash that was deal clincher . Marc worked with me and both of us are happy. I'm a huge Spidey fan so was just a huge moment. Years ago circa 2008 at big b comics Hamilton Marc offered me cgc 4.0 blue label AF15. Price was 4000.00 Canadian and payment plan as well. Obviously the market was diff and I had never purchased a comic more than 500.00 at that time so I passed , thought it was too much . Took an Avengers 1 for 2K instead boy did I ever regret that move. This was closure on that rare mistake.

take this advice don't ever pass up on a chance to own one of big three in decent shape ever, period. Never!

23 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

It wasn't easy to let those books go but ... my limited window to get AF15 was disappearing . Aside from Marc I don't think anyone would have traded straight up without cash that was deal clincher . Marc worked with me and both of us are happy. I'm a huge Spidey fan so was just a huge moment. Years ago circa 2008 at big b comics Hamilton Marc offered me cgc 4.0 blue label AF15. Price was 4000.00 Canadian and payment plan as well. Obviously the market was diff and I had never purchased a comic more than 500.00 at that time so I passed , thought it was too much . Took an Avengers 1 for 2K instead boy did I ever regret that move. This was closure on that rare mistake.

take this advice don't ever pass up on a chance to own one of big three in decent shape ever, period. Never!

Hindsight is usually (but not always) 20/20

I passed on many copies of AF #15 and other books. You NEVER know for certain what's going up or down.

Some books that are hot today were considered boat anchors in previous years.

A decent but not exceptional 7.0 went off on CL last week for $110,000. I was surprised it got a 7 due to heavy staining on the back and the spine wear but overall it looked decent so i guess it averaged out in other ways.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3F_SORT%3DYES%26code%3D2018jan%26session%3D1%26f1%3Da.MaxBid%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di.Type%2C%2Bi.Title%2C%2Bi.IssueNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di.Condition%26ODire3%3DDESC%23Item_1229273&id=1229273&itemType=0

Edited by zhamlau

So I ended up the high bidder on ComicLink for their CGC .5 (wrong back cover) AF 15 copy at $3,935. I know because I was there live to outbid the other guy that was going back and forth against me the last day or so.   I was like woo hoo, I stayed to the very end and won this at a great price, no other bids after mine at the auction end, per their auction listing!  I went back later that evening only to find another bid had been slipped in exactly $100 higher than mine after the auction closed!  I sent a big email to Josh directly (I have been ordering from him when he was pretty much a 1 man shop back in the day) to ask how this could of happened and got NO RESPONSE.   Kind of kills the integrity of comic auctions to have a bid overtake the winning bidder AFTER the auction ends!   Anyone else ever hear of anything like this happening before?  Something similar happened to me at Heritage once, but it was way back in their early days, they at least apologized and gave me a $50 credit on next purchase.  (It still sucked, but at least They have some customer service skills and responded!)  I am betting someone at ComicLink figured I would not notice I was outbid after the auction close unless I had been online watching the very last moments live???  Anyway, when I saw what had happened after getting so excited for most of that day it was like...:tonofbricks::ohnoez:

1 hour ago, TC33 said:

So I ended up the high bidder on ComicLink for their CGC .5 (wrong back cover) AF 15 copy at $3,935. I know because I was there live to outbid the other guy that was going back and forth against me the last day or so.   I was like woo hoo, I stayed to the very end and won this at a great price, no other bids after mine at the auction end, per their auction listing!  I went back later that evening only to find another bid had been slipped in exactly $100 higher than mine after the auction closed!  I sent a big email to Josh directly (I have been ordering from him when he was pretty much a 1 man shop back in the day) to ask how this could of happened and got NO RESPONSE.   Kind of kills the integrity of comic auctions to have a bid overtake the winning bidder AFTER the auction ends!   Anyone else ever hear of anything like this happening before?  Something similar happened to me at Heritage once, but it was way back in their early days, they at least apologized and gave me a $50 credit on next purchase.  (It still sucked, but at least They have some customer service skills and responded!)  I am betting someone at ComicLink figured I would not notice I was outbid after the auction close unless I had been online watching the very last moments live???  Anyway, when I saw what had happened after getting so excited for most of that day it was like...:tonofbricks::ohnoez:

Sounds like you got sniped at the end of the auction, and didn't refresh your page to see that you had.

On 1/21/2018 at 6:48 AM, Subby1938 said:

This  book was never discount ??? I don't understand why people even comment on this. I said it before if this book crashes they all do. Nothing from 1962 on comes close to it in value or desirability . Get over it. Our real estate market was supposed to cool off in Canada with hike in interest rates . They project 10% minimum price increase again!!!! Same thing here with comic. It's not coming down 

Well, out here on the left coast, house prices have finally started to sell at slightly less than asking prices again.  In fact, I received my property tax assessment last month and was ecstatic that the value of my house had dropped by something like 3% after so many consecutive years of double digit increases.  :whee:

Unfortunately, they've now taken the price of condos and townhouses which my kids were hoping to buy into since houses are no longer within reach anymore, and jacked those up by over 40% in comparison to last year.  And this is even with the countless brand new condo towers they are building in almost every major transportation intersection within the city.  :censored:  :mad:

On 1/21/2018 at 2:19 PM, NoMan said:
On 1/21/2018 at 2:16 PM, SECollector said:

Where were you? In the 80s? :wink:

No, these kids were definitely collectors. They obviously have their fingers on the pulse of the market and they say spidey is out. 

Well, can you really blame them after that absolutely horrid Spidey movie that came out last year.  :ph34r:

I kept seeing bits and pieces of it on my TV while I was on my Australian cruise and though it was one of those silly low budget kiddish Marvel made movies from the 80's and 90's that had gone straight to video upon completion.  Absolutely surprised that it was the new high budget one that was released just last year.  :facepalm:

I don't understand how blue collar people can even afford a home on west coast or GTA? Toronto area is absolutely absurd they project by year 2040 another 3 million new residents in greater Toronto area. WTF!!!! The prices of detached homes will be in millions and already are in cities like Toronto, Mississauga, Burlington , Oakville. Our government and banks want people in debt forever and zero hope for comfortable retirement. It's disgusting 

On 1/24/2018 at 6:59 AM, Aman619 said:
On 1/23/2018 at 5:19 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Welcome to the AF15 club then ! Looks like a nice 2.0

You guys are getting soft...  so easily convinced.

Yes indeed........now that we know what SC22 looks like!

We'll be sure to keep a lookout for him at the cons then.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, can you really blame them after that absolutely horrid Spidey movie that came out last year.  :ph34r:

I kept seeing bits and pieces of it on my TV while I was on my Australian cruise and though it was one of those silly low budget kiddish Marvel made movies from the 80's and 90's that had gone straight to video upon completion.  Absolutely surprised that it was the new high budget one that was released just last year.  :facepalm:

If you thought homecoming was "absolutely horrid" you must have found that travesty of a movie, Wonder Woman to be a completely unwatchable turd.  :baiting:

-J.

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Funny you say this. I don't see many movies if any really because they all suck these days. But I seem to see them all anyways, in snippets, on airplanes, on a monitor waiting at the check out at target, on more airplanes, on a monitor on top of the gas pump as I fuel up my car. Hollywood can't get me to spend money to see their mess, but they force it down my throat all the same.

Edited by NoMan

On 1/29/2018 at 4:04 PM, zhamlau said:

A decent but not exceptional 7.0 went off on CL last week for $110,000. I was surprised it got a 7 due to heavy staining on the back and the spine wear but overall it looked decent so i guess it averaged out in other ways.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3F_SORT%3DYES%26code%3D2018jan%26session%3D1%26f1%3Da.MaxBid%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di.Type%2C%2Bi.Title%2C%2Bi.IssueNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di.Condition%26ODire3%3DDESC%23Item_1229273&id=1229273&itemType=0

I sold that book last year.

While it's not the strongest 7.0 I didn't think it was severely over graded.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:29 AM, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, they've now taken the price of condos and townhouses which my kids were hoping to buy into since houses are no longer within reach anymore, and jacked those up by over 40% in comparison to last year.  And this is even with the countless brand new condo towers they are building in almost every major transportation intersection within the city.  :censored:  :mad:

Same thing is happening where I live (Kitchener / Waterloo just an hour West of Toronto).

Condos are going for the same price as homes now. You want a nice sized condo? Expect to pay half a million which is the starter price for a home.

I don't know how my children are going to be able to afford a home when they are ready to buy one.

11 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Same thing is happening where I live (Kitchener / Waterloo just an hour West of Toronto).

Condos are going for the same price as homes now. You want a nice sized condo? Expect to pay half a million which is the starter price for a home.

I don't know how my children are going to be able to afford a home when they are ready to buy one.

My mom and step-dad sold their home in downtown Stratford Ontario to buy a condo downtown.  They bought their second choice and are on a waitlist for their first.  The three years they've been on the waitlist the prices have increased 30%.  Its insane.  

Just now, comicquant said:

Its insane.  

It's absolutely insane.

Stratford is about a half hour West of me but even as far as London (an hour West) the prices are just out of this world.

I just keep wondering where all this money is coming from. It seems like there is no end to it.