• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Look at the attached grading tiers photo. How else can this be interpreted, other than the maximum value a comic submitted under the Express tier (only tier below Walkthru) is $3000?

Joe

GradingTiers.png

Yes, 3K is max value on an Express Tier. No argument there. I disagreed with this comment you made about the requirement of dropping it off in person. 'It was my understanding that any book worth more than $3000 has to be dropped off with CGC, either at their Sarasota location or at a comic book convention at which they are in attendance. Am I incorrect?

You can send any book to be graded on the value tier or the economy tier, even Marvel keys worth five figures.  CGC will assign your books the appropriate tier after grading and charge your account accordingly.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

he quoted your assertion that it had to be dropped off, which I also believe is not correct.

You know what, I believe he thinks the Wakthru tier literally means you must 'walk' the book up to them, cannot be mailed. (shrug)

On 1/28/2019 at 9:24 PM, c_mkv said:

Yeah I saw that and I was wondering where the "prices are falling" comments are coming from.  Was it selling for more or less than that 6 months ago?  I checked the free version of gocollect which may not be entirely accurate on such a small sample size of data, and it says 3.0 is $19.5k.  So it is selling a little less than listed.  A Stan Lee SS 3.0 hit $20.1k but didn't meet reserve so apparently his signature is worth an extra $1,300.  
Are the higher grade 5.0+ ranges still seeing sales below average because I have a feeling those are going to do stronger than the low grades. I think the higher grades typically do better unless I am wrong, and there is a larger pool of recent AF15 sales out there we can examine showing declines across the board.  I'm really curious because I am considering buying one.

Edited by 90sChild

On 1/29/2019 at 10:03 PM, 90sChild said:

Yeah I saw that and I was wondering where the "prices are falling" comments are coming from.  Was it selling for more or less than that 6 months ago?  I checked the free version of gocollect which may not be entirely accurate on such a small sample size of data, and it says 3.0 is $19.5k.  So it is selling a little less than listed.  A Stan Lee SS 3.0 hit $20.1k but didn't meet reserve so apparently his signature is worth an extra $1,300.  
Are the higher grade 5.0+ ranges still seeing sales below average because I have a feeling those are going to do stronger than the low grades. I think the higher grades typically do better unless I am wrong, and there is a larger pool of recent AF15 sales out there we can examine showing declines across the board.  I'm really curious because I am considering buying one.

I have seen prices on the AF15 5.0 stay really static for about 18 months now.  Mine did really well when sold  but it hasn't moved up and it has moved down over that time. Do I think it's a bad investment, No. Has Mastercard done far better in that time, Yes. 

Buy what you love. When I sold my collection to Bob Storms, I kept my JIM and Thors and I'm glad I did. Not because I think they'll go up but rather because they take me back to being young and it's a nice place to go.  Unlike many, I bought mine all off the newsstands. 

If you do this just because you want profit, you're in the wrong biz in my opinion. Loving the essential stupidity of comic books should be blessed as a part of being human, screw Bill Maher. I loved the color, the storyline, the month by month story line and Stan's  takes in the mailbox every month.. As an old man, I care about leaving stuff to my kids as a headstart in life. The comics have been part of that story. So have the stocks. Be glad you can even entertain buying comics as an investment. Most of the people in Africa own no more than the clothes on their backs. 

On 1/31/2019 at 10:15 PM, Glassman10 said:

I have seen prices on the AF15 5.0 stay really static for about 18 months now.  Mine did really well when sold  but it hasn't moved up and it has moved down over that time. Do I think it's a bad investment, No. Has Mastercard done far better in that time, Yes. 

Buy what you love. When I sold my collection to Bob Storms, I kept my JIM and Thors and I'm glad I did. Not because I think they'll go up but rather because they take me back to being young and it's a nice place to go.  Unlike many, I bought mine all off the newsstands. 

If you do this just because you want profit, you're in the wrong biz in my opinion. Loving the essential stupidity of comic books should be blessed as a part of being human, screw Bill Maher. I loved the color, the storyline, the month by month story line and Stan's  takes in the mailbox every month.. As an old man, I care about leaving stuff to my kids as a headstart in life. The comics have been part of that story. So have the stocks. Be glad you can even entertain buying comics as an investment. Most of the people in Africa own no more than the clothes on their backs. 

Wise words, Glassman10. Buy what you love = wise words.

Comparing the stockmarket to comics can be fun.  Let's look at the past year for $SPX, if you held it for one year and sold today you only made 2.17%; assuming you never sold halfway through the year for a profit, or you survived selling off in the December crash.  
 25MGZTO.jpg
Volatility certainly seems lower in comics, if you believe markets are doing well then go stocks, if you think markets are doing poorly comics aren't a terrible idea.  I'm sure there are much better ways to make a 2-3% return in an economic downtown however.

2 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Comparing the stockmarket to comics can be fun.  Let's look at the past year for $SPX, if you held it for one year and sold today you only made 2.17%; assuming you never sold halfway through the year for a profit, or you survived selling off in the December crash. 

Yes, the stock market returns in 2018 were low. However, the DJIA increased by 25.2% and the S&P 500 increased by 19.2% in 2017. Checking an Amazing Fantasy #15 3.0 at GP Analysis shows a price of $14,000 in 2016 and a price of $18,950 in 2017 - a gain of 35.3%. Hmm... that didn't turn out the way i had expected.

Never mind.

Joe

2 hours ago, 90sChild said:

25MGZTO.jpg
Volatility certainly seems lower in comics, if you believe markets are doing well then go stocks, if you think markets are doing poorly comics aren't a terrible idea.  I'm sure there are much better ways to make a 2-3% return in an economic downtown however.

Or another way to see that is "It depended on what you bought" Mastercard is up about 15 points in the last few days. Then again, could crash. I actually bought more MC with the AF15 receipts.  I know how the AF 15 ends. The MC? It doesn't look bad.  I did truly luck out on my sale of the AF15. 

My main point is the same. If you have the money and you can buy comics, jeez, do it. Life is short. I just wouldn't hang my star on an AF 15 if I didn't love just having it in my hands, and I did, every day for fifty years. I let my son read it. Finally, we had it slabbed and sold.  I don't toss and turn every night about it being somewhere else. I still have Thor attacking Central American soldiers who are fighting against Democracy. I get them out, none are slabbed. They come off the backing boards and I read them and pass them to my boy.  He's 27.  I'm having a lot of fun over on the Dr Tom Trent and his Flying Nurses thread. Those guys know how to laugh at collecting such things. 

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Yes, the stock market returns in 2018 were low. However, the DJIA increased by 25.2% and the S&P 500 increased by 19.2% in 2017. Checking an Amazing Fantasy #15 3.0 at GP Analysis shows a price of $14,000 in 2016 and a price of $18,950 in 2017 - a gain of 35.3%. Hmm... that didn't turn out the way i had expected.

Never mind.

Joe

Haha well to be fair, I think Spider-man/X-men/Fantastic Four comics have already experienced the largest price increase they are going to see with the Disney acquisition.  So in the past few years we may just be looking at the largest short term increase these comics are likely to see for quite some time.

20 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Haha well to be fair, I think Spider-man/X-men/Fantastic Four comics have already experienced the largest price increase they are going to see with the Disney acquisition.  So in the past few years we may just be looking at the largest short term increase these comics are likely to see for quite some time.

I think we are just getting started here...they haven’t even dropped the first hint at the X-men or fantastic four in the mcu yet. Spider-Man never stops gaining long-term but it’s probably had the biggest percent boost. 

Lets see those Avengers Endgame credits scenes...maybe we get Galactus...dr doom? Wolverine? Who knows... it’s gonna be epic. 

I think it will certainly be amazing as a fan of the MCU, but I think speculators have already priced this in to current market prices.  We are in a cyclical speculator selling to speculator pattern.  My problem with comics as investments is that unlike the stock market, you can't short them when they are overvalued.  Think a Hulk 181 in 9.4 isn't worth $10000?  Too bad, you can't do anything about it.  Nobody will sell at a loss so there is an endless cycle of price increases.  

The group of speculators who banked on disney buying fox hit their gold mine, they have to sell to the next group of speculators willing to buy that are hoping for some huge movie related news which people are already expecting.  Who will those speculators sell to?  A new group of speculators that didn't see fantastic four or x-men MCU movies coming?  With each cycle the pie shrinks more and more as I think the MCU is pretty much reached full exposure to the public at this point.  I don't think it can continue forever but we'll see I guess.  

Edited by 90sChild

2 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

My point is simple: AF15 is not rare. It is a comic which a lot of people would like to own, but not rare.  In high grades, it is pretty rare but not so much below a 5.5.  I've seen repeat estimates of 10,000 copies out there. If you want to own it, it's available en masse.  Choose wisely.  The observations about speculators selling to speculators is not out of line.  I doubt it will go down and maybe it will go up in value but that's not a really good motive to want it. Buy it if you love it, love the process, love the genre. Love the bad artwork.  I would never want it slabbed. I'd want to read it, as I did over five decades.  Then, sell it when it's spent and can do something really constructive.  As to the credit card stuff, I've held it for a long time since it had an initial IPO. 

I'd love to have some Green Lantern from the fifties, but I would only have paid newsstand price with an Orange Crush on the way to the beach. 

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

My point is simple: AF15 is not rare. It is a comic which a lot of people would like to own, but not rare.  In high grades, it is pretty rare but not so much below a 5.5.  I've seen repeat estimates of 10,000 copies out there. If you want to own it, it's available en masse.  Choose wisely.  The observations about speculators selling to speculators is not out of line.  I doubt it will go down and maybe it will go up in value but that's not a really good motive to want it. Buy it if you love it, love the process, love the genre. Love the bad artwork.  I would never want it slabbed. I'd want to read it, as I did over five decades.  Then, sell it when it's spent and can do something really constructive.  As to the credit card stuff, I've held it for a long time since it had an initial IPO. 

I'd love to have some Green Lantern from the fifties, but I would only have paid newsstand price with an Orange Crush on the way to the beach. 

I love the artwork and that is the most iconic comic cover in my opinion.  I also find the purple label looks good on that particular comic