• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,479 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, DTM700 said:

The book was regraded by another company. It's up to the buyer to decide whether to trust that company or not. There needs to be some level responsibility from the buyer's end -  that is my point.

Please do not attack me, it's only my opinion I'm stating. You may disagree and that is totally fine, but attacking is not okay.

So, if you purchased this book then discovered this thread, you would be making these same posts?

1 hour ago, DTM700 said:

The book was regraded by another company. It's up to the buyer to decide whether to trust that company or not. There needs to be some level responsibility from the buyer's end -  that is my point.

Please do not attack me, it's only my opinion I'm stating. You may disagree and that is totally fine, but attacking is not okay.

This is actually a really good point. Some of us have been saying for the last few years that one of CBCS's major flaws is the fact that they do not have a truly trusted restoration expert on staff. They do have two long time, well known to all of us, hobby professionals in charge of their grading. Steve Borock is a wonderful friend, but despite his protestations to the contrary, he is not very good at detecting restoration. West Stephens, another wonderful human being, also is not a restoration expert. They simply do not have a resto expert on staff. As a result an issue like this arises and, whether they are correct about the lack of trimming or not, they are going to have to deal with the PR problems and they aren't going to have a voice that can instill much confidence in the collecting public going forward.

Just now, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Note to self: do copious research before buying from DTM700

That is a pretty rotten thing to post. The guy is having a conversation.

It's always possible the owner of the PLOD that resubbed the book "knew" someone at...well you know the grading company's name. I doubt CGC missed the boat on that book. I bet something stirred it's attention on the book that noted TRIMMED. And it's possible the PLOD resubb'er got lucky. But I would not want to be the new owner of the book. 2c

6 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

So you agree it’s just Buyer Beware? Law of the jungle? I wonder how many out here agree with that

I believe @MrBedrock is implying to keeps things civil. That said, the topic of this particular book and nature of this discussion should probably be in its own thread so we don't clutter this one.

And to @peewee22 I only buy CGC graded books, so you're safe with me :wink:

13 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

So you agree it’s just Buyer Beware? Law of the jungle? I wonder how many out here agree with that

No. But I do agree that the buyer has some obligation to do some degree of research if he/she is going to be spending that kind of money on that kind of comic in that kind of holder.

Put another way, if that book were in a PGX holder and someone bought it would we put the onus on the buyer or the grading company? We hold CBCS to a higher standard but do they deserve it?

Edited by MrBedrock

11 minutes ago, DTM700 said:

I believe @MrBedrock is implying to keeps things civil. That said, the topic of this particular book and nature of this discussion should probably be in its own thread so we don't clutter this one.

And to @peewee22 I only buy CGC graded books, so you're safe with me :wink:

The comments belong here. 

Cool on the safety comment. 

Edited by peewee22

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

No. But I do agree that the buyer has some obligation to do some degree of research if he/she is going to be spending that kind of money on that kind of comic in that kind of holder.

Put another way, it that book were in a PGX holder and someone bought it would we put the onus on the buyer or the grading company? We hold CBCS to a higher standard but do they deserve it?

An AF15 in another holder should raise a red flag. But what's done is done. He/she apparently did not do their homework but I'd still discuss this with C-Link if I were he/she after (if) reading these posts.

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:

An AF15 in another holder should raise a red flag. But what's done is done. He/she apparently did not do their homework but I'd still discuss this with C-Link if I were he/she after (if) reading these posts.

and you people all call this a hobby?  Really? Come on...

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:

An AF15 in another holder should raise a red flag.

It's hard to disagree with this statement.  Anyone selling a mega-key is going to want to maximize their value.  Normally, you're going to get the most from your book if it's in a CGC holder.  By getting the book certified by any company other than CGC, you're signaling that there's some other reason why you think you're going to get better value -- because the grading will be more lenient or, in extreme cases like this one, because restoration will be overlooked.  I'm not saying that to kiss up to CGC, it's just a logical conclusion based on what I see in the market.

Just now, LDarkseid1 said:

Just to update everyone, I know the buyer. Sale has been cancelled and book is staying with the current owner of the book. It was actually thanks to Iceman399’s original post referencing the book when it was CGC graded and restored that I was able to update my friend who bought it. So in short, this forum can be a very helpful community sometimes!

Glassman10, yes, we do call this a hobby and the forum works the right way. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

It's hard to disagree with this statement.  Anyone selling a mega-key is going to want to maximize their value.  Normally, you're going to get the most from your book if it's in a CGC holder.  By getting the book certified by any company other than CGC, you're signaling that there's some other reason why you think you're going to get better value -- because the grading will be more lenient or, in extreme cases like this one, because restoration will be overlooked.  I'm not saying that to kiss up to CGC, it's just a logical conclusion based on what I see in the market.

(thumbsu

2 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Just to update everyone, I know the buyer. Sale has been cancelled and book is staying with the current owner of the book. It was actually thanks to Iceman399’s original post on Wednesday referencing the book when it was CGC graded and restored that I was able to update my friend who bought it. So in short, this forum can be a very helpful community sometimes!

Wow, that's got to be a huge relief for your friend.  As for the current owner, either that person is feeling like they're holding the bag or, if they are the one who did the crack-out and re-submit, they're having to live with the fact that their plan has backfired (at least for now).

1 minute ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Wow, that's got to be a huge relief for your friend.  As for the current owner, either that person is feeling like they're holding the bag or, if they are the one who did the crack-out and re-submit, they're having to live with the fact that their plan has backfired (at least for now).

Yeah it was a relief and worked out in the end. C-Link was very understanding and ultimately everything was resolved. Definitely unfortunate for whoever the current owner is.

Edited by LDarkseid1