• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

I guess it depends on how much you love these characters you're moving on from...everyone's different.  But in my limited experience I have to say that I've never regretted being on the side of trading 10 things for 1 -- because the '1' is usually magical and very hard to get.  The other 10 might come back around in some form or fashion, but the 1 never seems to -- at least, not easily.  Good luck in your decision!

I sold my FF48 CGC 9.0 and Incredible Hulk 2 CGC 5.5 to get my AF15 and have no regrets at all. I still have my FF49 CGC 7.5 with a cover I like more than FF48, and I bought another copy of Hulk 2 (this time CGC 2.0).

2 hours ago, damJadler said:

Hey folks--I'm considering trading most of my hot keys for an AF 15.  An X-Men 1 2.5, DD 1 6.5, IH 181 8.5, and GSX 1 8.5.

For others who have made such a sacrifice--did you regret it?  Given the current market, would you recommend holding on to these for a while for more growth, or just pulling the trigger?

Hey folks--I'm considering trading most of my hot keys for an AF 15.  An X-Men 1 2.5, DD 1 6.5, IH 181 8.5, and GSX 1 8.5.

For others who have made such a sacrifice--did you regret it?  Given the current market, would you recommend holding on to these for a while for more growth, or just pulling the trigger?

It's never an easy call. 

How much do you love this other books? Could you or will you realistically replace them? 

I've had the same internal debate and I think some of these prices have gotten to a point where I wouldn't be able to replace what I sold. 

But if Spidey is your favorite and AF15 is important, then go all in for it. The truth is,  this current price surge is going to make AF15 unobtainable for the majority of us.  This may be your best opportunity to pull it off. 

I wish you well. 

As Mehdy says:

trade up. Always trade up.

And AF15 is swiftly on its way to be perceived as a pop cultural artefact rather than a “comic book”. Like Bat1, tec27 etc.

48 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

As Mehdy says:

trade up. Always trade up.

And AF15 is swiftly on its way to be perceived as a pop cultural artefact rather than a “comic book”. Like Bat1, tec27 etc.

Isnt AF 15 the only silver age comic in the library of Congress as is?

-J.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Isnt AF 15 the only silver age comic in the library of Congress as is?

-J.

From their website:

April 30, 2008  (08-089)
Library of Congress Receives [Steve Ditko's] Original Drawings for the First Spider-Man Story, "Amazing Fantasy #15"

As for the book itself, I didn't keep looking, but the LOC has a HUGE department dedicated to comic books that few people know about, so it is very, very likely that it includes AF15 (as well as TEC 27, AC1, etc) if it already has the original art by Ditko!   

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:

From their website:

April 30, 2008  (08-089)
Library of Congress Receives [Steve Ditko's] Original Drawings for the First Spider-Man Story, "Amazing Fantasy #15"

As for the book itself, I didn't keep looking, but the LOC has a HUGE department dedicated to comic books that few people know about, so it is very, very likely that it includes AF15 (as well as TEC 27, AC1, etc) if it already has the original art by Ditko!   

And, you can make an appointment to view the artwork. There was a thread somewhere about it. But I think that was on the old boards, so it is not searchable. (I just tried.)

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Just incredible!  Almost shed a tear. Just trying to picture the collaboration work on this between Steve and Stan.  The notes on the margin were just so so special!

That and the fact that the anonymous donor not only gifted this OA to the Library of Congress for safekeeping (a very responsible thing to do), but also required that it be made accessible to the public.  Grown man tears aplenty.    

On 4/28/2021 at 2:16 PM, fishbone said:

Probably not CGC is my guess .... the “other guy” since he said verified sig

Sorry to disappoint, but it is definitely not from the other guy. Been on here long enough to know the rules.

1248011037_AF15page9.thumb.jpg.297d2a86c0190de2a12bcb1a2f1bb713.jpg1102435753_AF15page10.thumb.jpg.71591c0a17cdea37dc05be509b0ed4ac.jpg

Edited by Captain Canuck

10 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Sweet!

Based upon my previous question and proof now of a signed CGC copy, not the other guy. How much would a copy like this, exact same condition go for roughly on the open market today? 1.0 prices have changed vastly over the years. 

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck said:

Based upon my previous question and proof now of a signed CGC copy, not the other guy. How much would a copy like this, exact same condition go for roughly on the open market today? 1.0 prices have changed vastly over the years. 

It’s hard to say really I suppose.  According to GPA, the last 1.0 SS sold two years ago for $10500, so that’s obviously not FMV I would assume.  The last blue label 1.0 sold for $15600.

Edited by DocHoppus182
Spelling

17 hours ago, Lpgk said:

a 2.5 Cream/OW just closed on ebay for $27600. The last two 2.5s which closed on ebay were $25,400 (4/24) and $24,269 (4/10). crazy, this seems to be going up by the week!

I'm trying to guess what my 5.0 might go for in today's insanity, and although no recent 5.0 sales that I know of (and recent these days is like a few days ago!), extrapolating from 2.5 sales, 4.0 sales and 6.0 sales, it looks like a possible $70-75K book - ??!!! Is that even possible ??!!!!

My mind just keeps exploding daily