• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest 2nd Print Marvel Copper Age Book?
6 6

187 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2017 at 11:52 PM, Saint_Doyle said:

The fact that there are no identifiable differences on the cover between the 1st and 2nd printings of Smurfs #1 makes me think I need to go through several copies of Thundercats #3 and make sure that a reprint of that issue doesn't exist.  It seems odd that issues #1, 2, and 4 would have multiple printings but #3 would not.

Check the ads, including interior ads and compare pages. Look for coupons like I did with the GI Joe and Smurfs to see if there are dates printed

On 3/16/2014 at 3:16 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

The first regular Marvel to go back to the presses to meet initial demand...ever...was Ghost Rider #1, May of 1990! The first DC? Lobo #1 from Nov of 1990.

(Anyone feel free to correct me if I've gotten any details wrong.)

I thought the second printing of the 'Nam #1 came shortly after the first print. Could be wrong, but I know when there were only a very few issues out I grabbed the second print.

16 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I thought the second printing of the 'Nam #1 came shortly after the first print. Could be wrong, but I know when there were only a very few issues out I grabbed the second print.

What about Star Wars #1?

How about Marvel Comics #1? :grin:

I just sent off an Aliens #1 and the cgc notes list it as a 4th print to my dismay... then I looked it up on mycomicshop and see that it is listed as scarce.

anyone have more info?

8 hours ago, jmagg73 said:

I just sent off an Aliens #1 and the cgc notes list it as a 4th print to my dismay... then I looked it up on mycomicshop and see that it is listed as scarce.

anyone have more info?

There are at least 5 printings of Aliens 1, maybe more. I don't think there's any discernible difference in the printings aside from the notation in the indicia, so while I have my complete 9.8 run of 1-6, I never bothered chasing the subsequent printings because there's not enough of a difference to make them interesting. BUT, that's just me. There's probably someone out there looking for the various printings, especially in high grade. How did it grade out?

On 5/4/2017 at 11:01 AM, valiantman said:

What about Star Wars #1?

How about Marvel Comics #1? :grin:

Please see the whole conversation for answers. 

Replying to posts that are out of context is not conducive to understanding.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

There are at least 5 printings of Aliens 1, maybe more. I don't think there's any discernible difference in the printings aside from the notation in the indicia, so while I have my complete 9.8 run of 1-6, I never bothered chasing the subsequent printings because there's not enough of a difference to make them interesting. BUT, that's just me. There's probably someone out there looking for the various printings, especially in high grade. How did it grade out?

The cover copy and borders, including the issue number, prices, and the trademark and copyright information at the bottom of the cover changed between printings, sometimes dramatically (note 1988 vs 1989.)

s-l1600.png

s-l1600.jpg

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I looked it up in overstreet and it says that the 4th print has a new inside front cover.  I dont know what it looks like and wont when it comes back slabbed.

Does anyone have any information on the X-Men 281 silver variant? I have a copy that has a silver logo and writing, and the cover and the indicia says xmen 281.  The inside back cover of the comic is the gold cover of xmen 282.  I can't find any information at all online other than people speculating that some people undid the cover and re stapled it.  But then why would it say issue 281 on the indicia?

Edited by Marbleman3

8 hours ago, Marbleman3 said:

Does anyone have any information on the X-Men 281 silver variant? I have a copy that has a silver logo and writing, and the cover and the indicia says xmen 281.  The inside back cover of the comic is the gold cover of xmen 282.  I can't find any information at all online other than people speculating that some people undid the cover and re stapled it.  But then why would it say issue 281 on the indicia?

I'm also speculating that someone undid the cover and restapled it. That silver cover was an inside back cover and wasn't released on a book. X-men #281 grows on trees, so it'd easily be stripped and restapled. 

18 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Please see the whole conversation for answers. 

Replying to posts that are out of context is not conducive to understanding.

You're right.  When there are 130 posts stretching over three years, it is certainly everyone's job to read every single word before they submit a reply.

My bad. :smirk:

53 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

This one is apparently pretty rare...Batman #457 2nd Print Newsstand

s-l1600.jpg 

I think the "Marvel" requirement in the topic title would make that suggestion hard to support.  :kidaround:

56 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

This one is apparently pretty rare...Batman #457 2nd Print Newsstand

s-l1600.jpg 

Pretty sure this book has a dedicated thread. If you haven't already posted it in there, you should. They'll plotz.