• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest 2nd Print Marvel Copper Age Book?
6 6

187 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2017 at 5:27 PM, bellrules said:

Secret Wars 1-3 ?

I know this is old but stumbled across it.

Secret wars #1 2nd print is one of the rarest of this era as it came in Walmart multipacks only as far as I know from 1st hand experience.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

On 11/4/2019 at 7:27 PM, Shoomanfoo said:

Secret wars #1 2nd print is one of the rarest of this era as it came in Walmart multipacks only as far as I know from 1st hand experience.

We spoke of this in another thread but I thought it would also be relevant here to inform others. I saw the SW 1-3 multipacks in drug stores in Western NY where there were no Walmarts (at the time).

Edited by Xenosmilus

51 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

We spoke of this in another thread but I thought it would also be relevant here to inform others. I saw the SW 1-3 multipacks in drug stores in Western NY where there were no Walmarts (at the time).

I’m from originally from NY as well

I used to buy all sorts of packs from Walmart in Florida while visiting family.

Always interesting to know where else these packs ended up.

19 hours ago, bellrules said:

Here a sealed Thundercats pack I found along the way. 

3034785A-122D-4372-8678-35311410C163.jpeg

The #4 and #6 look like standard Direct Edition 1st prints, but what's up with that #5 (assuming it is #5 between issues 4 and 6)?  Is there no number in the number block or is the picture just cut a bit short?

There is a 2nd print to Thundercats #4 (Marvel "M" box, no month under the date).  I do not believe there to be a 2nd print of either Thundercats 5 or 6 but would love to be wrong.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:51 PM, Saint_Doyle said:

The #4 and #6 look like standard Direct Edition 1st prints, but what's up with that #5 (assuming it is #5 between issues 4 and 6)?  Is there no number in the number block or is the picture just cut a bit short?

There is a 2nd print to Thundercats #4 (Marvel "M" box, no month under the date).  I do not believe there to be a 2nd print of either Thundercats 5 or 6 but would love to be wrong.

The middle book is a third print #1.

On 4/2/2017 at 5:54 PM, Saint_Doyle said:

...and because I always see people trying to sell 2nd and 3rd prints of Thundercats 1 with the false claim that it is the Canadian edition I'll go ahead and throw this identification figure up for everyone.  I find it interesting how the price box of the reprints is inconsistent; sometimes being the square newsstand box and sometimes being the direct market Marvel "M."

I would have guessed (before looking at the indica) that the Marvel "M" would be the earlier reprint, as Marvel would entirely abandon this price box a few months later (around issue 6 of Thundercats).  

58e1710b32207_Thundercats1editionsandprints.thumb.jpg.1f191a813c17cc16c1ccd4405b05d09a.jpg

Based on this has CGC mislabeled this comic on eBay? Based on this old post, it is a 2nd print. I wouldn't be surprised because they mislabeled my SW#1 2nd as a first print.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thundercats-1-CGC-9-8-75-Cent-Canadian-Price-Variant-1-of-4-17-total-graded/223833413170

Edited by Xenosmilus

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:
On 4/2/2017 at 2:54 PM, Saint_Doyle said:

...and because I always see people trying to sell 2nd and 3rd prints of Thundercats 1 with the false claim that it is the Canadian edition I'll go ahead and throw this identification figure up for everyone.  I find it interesting how the price box of the reprints is inconsistent; sometimes being the square newsstand box and sometimes being the direct market Marvel "M."

I would have guessed (before looking at the indica) that the Marvel "M" would be the earlier reprint, as Marvel would entirely abandon this price box a few months later (around issue 6 of Thundercats).  

58e1710b32207_Thundercats1editionsandprints.thumb.jpg.1f191a813c17cc16c1ccd4405b05d09a.jpg

Based on this has CGC mislabeled this comic on eBay? Based on this old post, it is a 2nd print. I wouldn't be surprised because they mislabeled my SW#1 2nd as a first print.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thundercats-1-CGC-9-8-75-Cent-Canadian-Price-Variant-1-of-4-17-total-graded/223833413170

Yes, that is not the Canadian edition. All Canadian newsstand editions have a UPC, not Direct art/dress in the UPC box. 

Here's a good rule of thumb: if you don't see the Curtis Circulation code....the stylized "CC" within a "C", followed by the title number (in this case, 02104)... then it's *probably* a reprint. Curtis handled all the newsstand distribution for Marvel (and others) at the time. 

Although, the 75 cent Canadian has me wondering...the price, as the Direct shows, is SUPPOSED to be $1.00...

hm

hmhm

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

39 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Although, the 75 cent Canadian has me wondering...the price, as the Direct shows, is SUPPOSED to be $1.00...

Somebody screwed up. 65c (U.S.) Marvels at that time were priced at 75c Canadian. Even when U.S, prices rose to 75c shortly thereafter, the Canadian price was only 95c.

Still, that's not as bad as Uncanny X-Men 492 & 493 Newsstands. :sick:

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Somebody screwed up. 65c (U.S.) Marvels at that time were priced at 75c Canadian. Even when U.S, prices rose to 75c shortly thereafter, the Canadian price was only 95c.

Still, that's not as bad as Uncanny X-Men 492 & 493 Newsstands. :sick:

Somebody did screw up. Thundercats #1 Direct was priced...at least for UK and Can...like a mini-series:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

...which they then fixed with issue #2.

s-l1600.jpg

So, either the Canadian #1 newsstand should be $1.00...or the Direct should be 30/75.

Man, the UK got jacked around pricewise.

On 7/28/2017 at 1:32 PM, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

Some of the Pressman's are hard to find in higher grade. Here's one that I bought raw which was included in the X-Men board game.  

IMG_20170627_173347.jpg

This particular comic annoys me because technically its not a second printing. It wasn't sold at stores, gas stations or grocery stores after the 1st printing sold out. It was more of a promotional piece for a board game. Now having said that, I definitely want a HG copy for my collection so maybe it's a moot point.

1 minute ago, whetteon said:

This particular comic annoys me because technically its not a second printing. It wasn't sold at stores, gas stations or grocery stores after the 1st printing sold out. It was more of a promotional piece for a board game. Now having said that, I definitely want a HG copy for my collection so maybe it's a moot point.

I've seen quite a few HG copies show up on the ebays

Hello.

I am the author of this article about GIJoe #21 2nd printing.

Found this thread. Some great information here.

I have already done a complete break down of GIJoe comics 2nd 3rd printing ads, bullpin bulletin and cover variants.

It seems most of the 2nd printings where from the multi pack. Issues 3,4,5 all have 2nd printings but not marked as 2nd print only way is to look at the ads.

Additional, #22 was released as 1st print with BOTH a white Spidey head and black Spidey head.

I will be happy to contribute my research to the 2nd printing database.

By the way, the hunt has now found 3 that meet the theory.

http://www.generalsjoesreborn.com/2020/04/the-hunt-for-the-rarest-g-i-joe-comic-ever-begins-now/

3 hours ago, Antarcticajoe said:

So did the 2nd print end up being the Black Spidey Head version with no indication that it is a "Second Printing" on the indicia?  That's my guess.  Thundercats #1 Second Print and Thundercats #2 Third Print don't actually have a mention of them being a reprint on the indicia.  Marvel wasn't super consistent with indicia labelings for reprints in this era.

18 minutes ago, bellrules said:

Interesting that 22 has two versions of direct first print. Are all the ads the same inside? I know that’s how the printing differences are identified in the Smurfs reprints from the same era.

I wondered this as well.  Same ads means the mystery is afoot (probably?), but different ads means it's just a different printing.  We really need verification of this.

3 hours ago, Antarcticajoe said:

Hello.

Found this thread. Some great information here.

I have already done a complete break down of GIJoe comics 2nd 3rd printing ads, bullpin bulletin and cover variants.

It seems most of the 2nd printings where from the multi pack. Issues 3,4,5 all have 2nd printings but not marked as 2nd print only way is to look at the ads.

Additional, #22 was released as 1st print with BOTH a white Spidey head and black Spidey head.

I will be happy to contribute my research to the 2nd printing database.

By the way, the hunt has now found 3 that meet the theory.

http://www.generalsjoesreborn.com/2020/04/the-hunt-for-the-rarest-g-i-joe-comic-ever-begins-now/

Welcome to the board!

If you're open to some editing suggestions:

"The logo connected with this post shows the four versions of #21 released in the 1980’s."

There isn't a logo connected with the post on my screen.  It's just two copies of the "Stan Lee presents: Silent Interlude" graphic. I think you are talking about the final image from the article, but I didn't see it until the article was over. :foryou:

"Amazing Spider-Man #252 is the 1 st appearance of Peter Parker wearing the Symbiote Suit in the main Spider-Man series. Though chronologically it’s actual first appearance was in Secret Wars #8, several months later."

The "1 st" looks weird, but that's an easy fix.  There are more 1 st and 2 nd in the article, though some others are correct as 1st and 2nd.  The second sentence isn't a sentence, it's just a sentence fragment, and "it's actual first" shouldn't have an apostrophe because "it is actual first" is what "it's actual first" means.