• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest 2nd Print Marvel Copper Age Book?
6 6

187 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2017 at 12:02 PM, Saint_Doyle said:

A few people mentioned the Thundercats #1 2nd print, but as that is my niche I feel qualified to comment on that series.  The Marvel Star Thundercats series actually featured 5 4 separate reprints in issues 1, 2, and 4 (plus a bonus error printing of #2).  Each reprint has completely different ads and ad placement than their 1st print counterparts.  The error printing of #2 features the same ads in the same places throughout as the 1st printings, including same back cover, interior covers, subscription offers, and Marvel monthly checklists.

And to relate this post to the original topic, I propose Thundercats #2 3rd print as the rarest Copper Age reprint.  (I know believe it to be an error 1st rinting and not a reprint.)  I've only ever seen one copy of the 3rd print of issue 2.  (Update: a second copy has been found!)

Thundercats #2 3rd print ERROR 1st print (not stated in indica) - Marvel "M" price box, 75¢ cover price

58dfd8250a785_23rdPringCarebearsback-LetOurStarsBrightenYourHolidayslastpagead.thumb.jpg.c14852394506098f28edc1cb05d96799.jpg

I need to update my original post concerning the Marvel Star Thundercats reprints. Originally I had claimed there existed a very rare 3rd print of Thundercats #2.  Fellow boardie androolx located a second copy of the elusive "Third Print Thundercats #2."  After a bit of investigation we now believe this to be an ERROR printing of the 1st print, as opposed to a 3rd print.  Here is the evidence:

• All ads (including the back cover, interior covers, subscription offer, and Marvel checklist) are all the identical and on the same page as in the 1st print DM/US Newsstand/CAN Newsstand editions.
  • This issue was dated Feb. 1986.  Regular Marvel titles had increased in cover price to the 75¢ / 50p / 95¢ shown on this printing in this month, however Marvel Star titles (including Thundercats) would remain at the previous Marvel pricing structure of 65¢ / 30p / 75¢ in Feb. '86 until changing along with the rest of Marvel the following month in Mar. '86.  
  • The 75¢ / 50p / 95¢ Thundercats #2 does not state that it is a reprint in the Indica.  This is not concrete proof of anything, as this was commonly omitted in reprints of this era, but is still worth a mention.

These facts lead us to believe that this 75¢ / 50p / 95¢ Thundercats #2 is not a 3rd Printing as previously believed, but is instead an ERROR printing of the 1st Print Direct Market edition.  Androolx proposed a situation where the person assembling the cover for print forgot to use old price box and accidentally printed a few copies with the new price box before catching the error and correcting it for the rest of the run.  This is complete speculation, but seems plausible.   

Do you see any reason to believe this 75¢ / 50p / 95¢ Thundercats #2 is actually a 3rd Print?  I feel confident it is an ERROR 1st printing, given the evidence.  Anything else I should look for?  

This seems like an error printing similar to the Captain America #212 35¢ "no Marvel Comics Group banner" error printing, or the Marvel Spotlight #1 "no issue number" error printing, as opposed to the more common error printings where one color of ink was low for a fraction of the run.

Thundercats 2 editions and prints.jpg

2 hours ago, Saint_Doyle said:

I need to update my original post concerning the Marvel Star Thundercats reprints. Originally I had claimed there existed a very rare 3rd print of Thundercats #2.  Fellow boardie androolx located a second copy of the elusive "Third Print Thundercats #2."  After a bit of investigation we now believe this to be an ERROR printing of the 1st print, as opposed to a 3rd print.  Here is the evidence:

• All ads (including the back cover, interior covers, subscription offer, and Marvel checklist) are all the identical and on the same page as in the 1st print DM/US Newsstand/CAN Newsstand editions.
  • This issue was dated Feb. 1986.  Regular Marvel titles had increased in cover price to the 75¢ / 50p / 95¢ shown on this printing in this month, however Marvel Star titles (including Thundercats) would remain at the previous Marvel pricing structure of 65¢ / 30p / 75¢ in Feb. '86 until changing along with the rest of Marvel the following month in Mar. '86.  
  • The 75¢ / 50p / 95¢ Thundercats #2 does not state that it is a reprint in the Indica.  This is not concrete proof of anything, as this was commonly omitted in reprints of this era, but is still worth a mention.

These facts lead us to believe that this 75¢ / 50p / 95¢ Thundercats #2 is not a 3rd Printing as previously believed, but is instead an ERROR printing of the 1st Print Direct Market edition.  Androolx proposed a situation where the person assembling the cover for print forgot to use old price box and accidentally printed a few copies with the new price box before catching the error and correcting it for the rest of the run.  This is complete speculation, but seems plausible.   

Do you see any reason to believe this 75¢ / 50p / 95¢ Thundercats #2 is actually a 3rd Print?  I feel confident it is an ERROR 1st printing, given the evidence.  Anything else I should look for?  

This seems like an error printing similar to the Captain America #212 35¢ "no Marvel Comics Group banner" error printing, or the Marvel Spotlight #1 "no issue number" error printing, as opposed to the more common error printings where one color of ink was low for a fraction of the run.

Thundercats 2 editions and prints.jpg

One thing I would add is that the 75c/50p/95c pricing of the book at issue and of standard 02/1986 Marvel titles was unique to that month.  In 03/1986, the pricing of standard Marvel titles changed to 75c/40p/95c.  It is unlikely that Marvel would reprint a book with a pricing scheme that Marvel had stopped using.

On 12/6/2020 at 9:05 AM, androolx said:

One thing I would add is that the 75c/50p/95c pricing of the book at issue and of standard 02/1986 Marvel titles was unique to that month.  In 03/1986, the pricing of standard Marvel titles changed to 75c/40p/95c.  It is unlikely that Marvel would reprint a book with a pricing scheme that Marvel had stopped using.

@Mrmg84