• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest 2nd Print Marvel Copper Age Book?
6 6

187 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Pretty sure this book has a dedicated thread. If you haven't already posted it in there, you should. They'll plotz.

Yup, throw this in the DC thread somewhere too while youre at it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandman-75-Mar-1996-DC-SIGNED-By-Both-Gaiman-And-Charles-Vess-2nd-Print-/263005559944?hash=item3d3c5a5c88:g:DKoAAOSwhQhY6lEM&autorefresh=true

9 hours ago, valiantman said:

You're right.  When there are 130 posts stretching over three years, it is certainly everyone's job to read every single word before they submit a reply.

My bad. :smirk:

I know. It's pretty hard to read through 130 posts. It's way easier to just read a comment from someone that you've known for literally 15 years and just assume they've said something stupid.

I mean, when I read your comments out of context, I always assume you don't know what you're talking about...

meh

8 hours ago, valiantman said:

I think the "Marvel" requirement in the topic title would make that suggestion hard to support.  :kidaround:

AH! Attention to detail was never my strong suite...and I've always been a Marvel zombie. (thumbsu

I should have known better

Edited by AGGIEZ

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I know. It's pretty hard to read through 130 posts. It's way easier to just read a comment from someone that you've known for literally 15 years and just assume they've said something stupid.

I mean, when I read your comments out of context, I always assume you don't know what you're talking about...

meh

I would have sent you a PM to clarify what you meant, but you blocked me at some point in those 15 years. :sorry: 

On 6/1/2017 at 8:12 AM, valiantman said:

I would have sent you a PM to clarify what you meant, but you blocked me at some point in those 15 years. :sorry: 

But then he wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to lay a "sweet burn" on you.

Regarding the xmen 281 silver variant - someone mentioned that it could be a direct market version of the 2nd print, with the red logo a newsstand version.  Could this be possible?

For the stapling theory, since my issue's indicia says 281: do you think someone took the cover off of issue 282, reversed it, took the cover off of 281, and then stapled the 282 reversed cover to 281? 

Edited by Marbleman3

2 minutes ago, Marbleman3 said:

Regarding the xmen 281 silver variant - someone mentioned that it could be a direct market version of the 2nd print, with the red logo a newsstand version.  Could this be possible?

For the stapling theory, since my issue's indicia says 281: do you think someone took the cover off of issue 282, reversed it, took the cover off of 281, and then stapled the 282 reversed cover to 281? 

Yes, the bolded part. The indicia is on the interior that would have been restapled to the bogus cover, so it isn't that helpful in determining the legitimacy of the cover.

Below is a link to another recent reference online to the silver print being a type of second print (scroll down a bit to find it, below the image of storm and senator Kelly).  

http://www.therealgentlemenofleisure.com/2016/04/x-amining-uncanny-x-men-281.html?m=1

It would be nice if there would be some way to confirm whether this is a fake or an actual second printing.  Anyone have any ideas other than speculating that the covers were switched?  

1 hour ago, Marbleman3 said:

No.

1 hour ago, Marbleman3 said:

Yes.

26 minutes ago, Marbleman3 said:

Below is a link to another recent reference online to the silver print being a type of second print (scroll down a bit to find it, below the image of storm and senator Kelly).  

http://www.therealgentlemenofleisure.com/2016/04/x-amining-uncanny-x-men-281.html?m=1

The second printing used red, not silver. There was no third printing of the issue.

26 minutes ago, Marbleman3 said:

It would be nice if there would be some way to confirm whether this is a fake or an actual second printing.  Anyone have any ideas other than speculating that the covers were switched? 

No speculation needed. The cover was switched.

I've noticed that you haven't even provided any pictures...

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, Marbleman3 said:

If this is an actual printing of this book, then you should be able to find reference to it from a legitimate source, or sales of such a book. Try to find slabbed copies with the silver logo that would demonstrate that it is a legitimate printing of the book.

A few people have told you now that the silver logo book does not exist outside of a swapped cover of the 282 printing. You have even admitted that the cover of 282 is found inside your copy of 281 with the silver logo. The burden of proof would appear to be on you to demonstrate that it is anything other than what we have told you it is.

Edited by mysterio

Having issues uploading pics from my phone, but will do asap. I don't have any further backup unfortunately. I will consider sending it into be graded to see what comes back.

Edited by Marbleman3

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Some of the Marvel Legend issues are a nightmare to find. Let alone in high grade.

ASM_122.jpg

black cover! :acclaim:

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

How long did it take u to find? I have never seen a copy above 8.0

found in raw on the 'bay.  there's a seller who sells a LOT of variants, I bought 3 reprints (2 others were JCPenney) and had 3 graded.  All three of them were rated as NM+.  Two of them pressed to 9.2 (ugghh wtf???) and 9.6 respectively.  This one was flawless so I didn't have it pressed.  It took some back and forth with picture requests from the seller, who I think was pretty accommodating, and the prices weren't really cheap (though not egregious either), but it took me about a month or two to find.  I think a lot of it is just timing.  I'm pretty sure I got lucky, and honestly don't see there ever being another copy hitting 9.8.

On 6/5/2017 at 10:13 AM, Marbleman3 said:

On 6/5/2017 at 2:45 PM, Lazyboy said:

I've noticed that you haven't even provided any pictures...

I'm here to please(thumbsu

20170720_180441.jpg.b12dc755d5264a736bd473d301510707.jpg

20170720_180544.jpg.4dd296ccd50ca168b1f9b3aa0a88949b.jpg