• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest 2nd Print Marvel Copper Age Book?
6 6

187 posts in this topic

2E7A1EF6-9A43-4D8D-A2B0-E0DF4BCC0287-1528-000000F3D9A0C2C0.jpg

Question 1 - This crazy rare book was supposed to be packaged with an x-men board game, but ended up making it into the packages, and then offered as a mail-away from the game makers, right?

Question 2 - you guys consider this book as a "second print", or a rare reprint/giveaway like the comics they pack with marvel legends figures and such? I would catagorize a 2nd print would have to be for sale to the public, from the distributer,at shops, not reproduced for a toy or game.

Question 3

Are second prints all considered "reprints", or does some amount of time have to pass from issue date to be classified a "reprint" , instead of 2nd print, by the collecting public? (I know, apples and oranges, just curious)

Cheers !

It is a sexy book...would the X #297 be the rarest of the 2nd prints in all honesty, regardless of grade? What would be next, the other Pressmans, or a book like X-Men #268?

Jim

Of all the marvel reprints from the era, I'd say that book, along with the SMF books are the scarcest. In any grade. I believe they only printed a few thousand of the pressman books, and that one in particular was a send-away issue. It's unlikely many people sent in for the comic. That makes it way more difficult to locate than the other three.

Question 1 - This crazy rare book was supposed to be packaged with an x-men board game, but ended up making it into the packages, and then offered as a mail-away from the game makers, right?

Question 2 - you guys consider this book as a "second print", or a rare reprint/giveaway like the comics they pack with marvel legends figures and such? I would catagorize a 2nd print would have to be for sale to the public, from the distributer,at shops, not reproduced for a toy or game.

Question 3

Are second prints all considered "reprints", or does some amount of time have to pass from issue date to be classified a "reprint" , instead of 2nd print, by the collecting public? (I know, apples and oranges, just curious)

Cheers !

I can comment on this since I have been studying this particular book for a while now.

1. This book was a mail away but it was also packaged in the board game as well. I know this to be 100% fact because I got one in my board game. They were not "mail away only". I am going to guess that they started as mail aways but then Pressman Games decided to throw their remaining few into the board games as well.

2. I call them "pack-ins". Reprints refer to something else entirely…see question #3's answer. "Giveaway" sounds like you won them.

3. This depends on a couple factors. The biggest one is "Was this a direct copy of the original 297?". Other than the cover's colors being changed, was anything else changed in this book? Are the ads in this variant the same as the ads in the original? If it is exactly the same, then I would call this 2nd print. If anything was changed, like how the Marvel Legends pack-ins included ads for Marvel Legends figures, then it would be a reprint. Also of note are the few other comics Marvel reprinted with different colors on the covers. For example, UXM #282, NM #87, and NM #100, all of which are considered 2nd prints.

Question 3

Cheers !

I can comment on this since I have been studying this particular book for a while now.

1. This book was a mail away but it was also packaged in the board game as well. I know this to be 100% fact because I got one in my board game. They were not "mail away only". I am going to guess that they started as mail aways but then Pressman Games decided to throw their remaining few into the board games as well.

2. I call them "pack-ins". Reprints refer to something else entirelysee question #3's answer. "Giveaway" sounds like you won them.

3. This depends on a couple factors. The biggest one is "Was this a direct copy of the original 297?". Other than the cover's colors being changed, was anything else changed in this book? Are the ads in this variant the same as the ads in the original? If it is exactly the same, then I would call this 2nd print. If anything was changed, like how the Marvel Legends pack-ins included ads for Marvel Legends figures, then it would be a reprint. Also of note are the few other comics Marvel reprinted with different colors on the covers. For example, UXM #282, NM #87, and NM #100, all of which are considered 2nd prints.

That's an interesting definition, but it doesn't always work. New Mutants #87 was reprinted over a year after the original, while the X-Men #282 (and #281) and New Mutants #100 were printed immediately.

The standard definition of a "later printing" (2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.) is an immediate reissue based on initial demand (and sellout at the publisher/distributor level) of the original.

A "reprint" is a book that is printed due to different factors other than initial demand of the original book. New Mutants #87, Amazing Spiderman #101, 265, etc.

So Hulk #377 2nd, based on initial demand for the original, is a true 2nd print, while the 3rd is technically a reprint.

Until money starts bringing out more currently its the X-men 302 blank upc for me at number 1. I would put Hulk 377 3rd print as second and a Superman 18 4th print as 3rd only because I have found a 5th print, but no 4th print every so here is my top 3 based on my searches. My list can change at any time if I find one, but currently those are the 3 I think are the toughest. I dont count printing errors, double covers, and other oddballs in this list. Books harder to find in higher grade also pushes a book up the list for me.

These are only books I have had experience with I have never chased 2nd print Joes because honestly the first 20 issues are so massively reprinted I never wanted to chase anymore of them because I see those first Joe issues ALOT.

1. X-men 302 Blank UPC

2. Hulk 377 3rd Print

3. Superman 18 4th print

4. SMF all issues in high grade

4. Several Marvel Legend books in higher grades.

5. Some JCPenny reprints like Sgt Fury 13

Edited by Fastballspecial

Question 3

Cheers !

2. I call them "pack-ins". Reprints refer to something else entirelysee question #3's answer. "Giveaway" sounds like you won them.

lol so who has the rarist "Pack in"?? Lets start a new thread!

Until money starts bringing out more currently its the X-men 302 blank upc for me at number 1. I would put Hulk 377 3rd print as second and a Superman 18 4th print as 3rd only because I have found a 5th print, but no 4th print every so here is my top 3 based on my searches. My list can change at any time if I find one, but currently those are the 3 I think are the toughest. I dont count printing errors, double covers, and other oddballs in this list. Books harder to find in higher grade also pushes a book up the list for me.

These are only books I have had experience with I have never chased 2nd print Joes because honestly the first 20 issues are so massively reprinted I never wanted to chase anymore of them because I see those first Joe issues ALOT.

1. X-men 302 Blank UPC

2. Hulk 377 3rd Print

3. Superman 18 4th print

If the xmen 302 was considered a 2nd print, I'd agree 300%. From what I understand, it's just a printing error. Nobody has been able to figure it out yet.

1. X-men 302 Blank UPC

2. Hulk 377 3rd Print

3. Superman 18 4th print

I bought a huge collection over the weekend that had tons of Copper material, including lots of later printings/reprints. I already pulled a Hulk 377 (3rd), and a few more books that looked like they were reprints that I was unfamiliar with.

Pardon the dumb question, but what title is SMF short for?

I bought a huge collection over the weekend that had tons of Copper material, including lots of later printings/reprints. I already pulled a Hulk 377 (3rd), and a few more books that looked like they were reprints that I was unfamiliar with.

Was wondering the same.

SMF=Superman as Female?

1. X-men 302 Blank UPC

2. Hulk 377 3rd Print

3. Superman 18 4th print

SMF = So Much Fun