• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest 2nd Print Marvel Copper Age Book?
6 6

187 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Saint_Doyle said:

Comiconxion is correct, that 3-pack shows a SECOND Print of #1 and a FIRST print of #3.  I have never seen a reprint of #3, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.  

And I have never seen a premium paid for any of the Thundercats reprints, but up until 2 days ago I am pretty sure I was the only person on the planet who cared.  Now there are two of us!  (How do I input the cloud nine emoji from the old boards???)

Make that three of us, now that my Star collection probably isn't complete!   Actually I might have some of these Thundercats  later printings in my Star collection, I need to pull them out and carefully check which versions I have.  I have multiples of every issue and I know a few have different cover prices so ...

16 hours ago, Saint_Doyle said:

Comiconxion is correct, that 3-pack shows a SECOND Print of #1 and a FIRST print of #3.  I have never seen a reprint of #3, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.  

And I have never seen a premium paid for any of the Thundercats reprints, but up until 2 days ago I am pretty sure I was the only person on the planet who cared.  Now there are two of us!  (How do I input the cloud nine emoji from the old boards???)

Hey, two people who care is all it takes to make a market for a book. Let the games begin! :devil:

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Hey, two people who care is all it takes to make a market for a book. Let the games begin! :devil:

It would seem that there are only about six Valiant collectors in the world, and Valiant Entertainment Inc is now worth $300million+.  lol

47 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

I dont know how rare this is in the grand scheme of things - there are 6 9.8s in the census, but this is by far my favorite.  Bought this on the boards about a year ago.

11b42uf.jpg

I've always loved this book. I remember buying it off of the stands when I'd missed the first printing. Back then, "second print" was the kiss of death, but I always loved the gold ink on this one. Over the years I've been picking up the various gold/silver/copper reprint books when I run across them in bargain bins, and in all of those years I've only found ONE of these. So, not sure about actual print numbers or anything, but compared to, say, the reprints of NM87, UXM248, etc. it certainly seems to be uncommon. Great book!

I agree, that GR 2nd print does look really good with the gold ink.  I would say that this has to be one of the scarcest of those 2nd prints myself.  I too have only come across one in bins over the years as I did not get this one when it hit the shelves either.  The whole kiss of death as already mentioned...lol!  I passed up on Spider-Man #1 gold newsstands for the same reason back then too...doh

:frustrated:

That X-Men 268 second print brings a question to mind: how many reprints are there that have very subtle cover differences  (such as X-Men 268's lack of Curtis routing number under the cover date being the only noticeable change)?  I am used to Copper Age reprints having a different colored background or logo, or possibly no date listed under the issue number.  The X-Men 268 second print has neither of those.

1 hour ago, Saint_Doyle said:

That X-Men 268 second print brings a question to mind: how many reprints are there that have very subtle cover differences  (such as X-Men 268's lack of Curtis routing number under the cover date being the only noticeable change)?  I am used to Copper Age reprints having a different colored background or logo, or possibly no date listed under the issue number.  The X-Men 268 second print has neither of those.

The X-Men 268 is actually part of the 1992 Marvel Vintage Pack sold primarily through the Sears and JC Penney catalogs. There are sets for 1992-20 different comics, 1993-20 different comics and 1994-15 different so 55 in total with subtle cover differences and the 1994 set has almost no differences. You can see the write-up and scans I did for STLcomics way back when here-

https://heroesgalaxy.com/variants/marvel-vintage-pack/

Edited by Metarog

18 minutes ago, comiconxion said:

How rate are the So Much Fun Variants like the G.I. Joe #63?  I seem to remember hearing they were pretty scarce 2nd printings.

They are not exceptionally rare although a few like the G.I. Joe, ASM, and X-Men do command higher prices for nice copies. 

The Archies were the toughest to find in decent shape when I put together my complete set a decade ago but now I look on EBay and there are quite a few.

I seem to recall they were not as tough to find as the Penney MVPs but they are easier to describe on EBay so that may be why.

On 4/6/2017 at 2:56 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

I dont know how rare this is in the grand scheme of things - there are 6 9.8s in the census, but this is by far my favorite.  Bought this on the boards about a year ago.

11b42uf.jpg

Looks like this is the favorite one so far 

just needs the stomp of approval

:sumo: