• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

‘One-man crusade’ against CGC grading, slabbing

118 posts in this topic

Is that a young Jeffrey Dahmer he made a comic about

Yes. The comic was essentially an audition when he was looking for a publisher for a full blown graphic novel. The full GN came out last year and is a fascinating read. It is a unique perspective of the kid that would become one of America's most notorious serial killers. It is thoughtful and respectful but doesn’t cross the line and make Dahmer out to be a sympathetic figure.

comicbookresources.com/

Comic books are made to be read. But along the way they’ve grown to become a collectible in the minds of some, leading to an interesting bifurcation of fandom: collectors and readers.

My Friend Dahmer cartoonist Derf Backderf is a longtime fan who, while downsizing his collection, wandered upon the uniquely placed Certified Guaranty Company (CGC). The avowed comic fan who followed his hobby into a career was shocked at the degree to which comics collecting had subsumed the readability of comics, especially given that “true collectors” would hermetically seal their comics in CGC “slabs,” leaving them unable to be read — you know, the original intent for the comic.

“For someone who has devoted his life to making comics, and who takes several years to painstakingly craft each one … to be READ! … this is an abomination,” Derf wrote in a long post on his blog. “For baseball cards, fine. because you can still read everything on the card. With a comic book, 90 percent of the contents are lost forever! Most of these “collectors” wouldn’t know the difference between Wally Wood and Wally Walrus. They’re just collecting a number. It’s an affront to everything I hold dear.”

Derf, who has been reading comics since the mid-1970s, covers the growth of the secondhand comics market and the rise of collectability through the Overstreet Price Guide and now through CGC. Because of this severe leaning toward collectability limiting the readability of comics, the cartoonist has started what he calls a “one-man crusade against slabbing” by buying CGC books and “then free[ing] them from their plastic coffins.”

can you forward his contact info; i've got 50 slabs i'd like to sell him to further his crusade.

Yes. The comic was essentially an audition when he was looking for a publisher for a full blown graphic novel. The full GN came out last year and is a fascinating read. It is a unique perspective of the kid that would become one of America's most notorious serial killers. It is thoughtful and respectful but doesn’t cross the line and make Dahmer out to be a sympathetic figure.

That actually sounds intriguing. I was expecting:

GACYcomic1.jpg

Why does this guy care so much about what I do with MY comic.

+One Zillion

This is what I do not understand about this. If you don't want to buy slabs, don't buy slabs. I want to buy some slabs. AMERICA FREEDOM.

I found it pretty obvious, once I read a few of his comic strips on his website. Without dragging this into any kind of political discussion, it's seemed somewhat clear to me that he is one of those hardline, shove his opinion down everyone's throat, tolerance of other peoples ideas/opinions is a one way street, kinda guys.

Looking at that kind of mentality and his comments discussed here in, it all fits together like a perfect little puzzle. He's a wingnut.

+One Zillion

This is what I do not understand about this. If you don't want to buy slabs, don't buy slabs. I want to buy some slabs. AMERICA FREEDOM.

I have a Little Idea Brewing of why hE Really thinks thAt Like that. :baiting:

(is this policitcal masking?) :ohnoez:

WHAT IS HE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

One of you says one way, one says another?

Lets label people because of their political beliefs, even though we don't have a clue what they are?

What a crock. The both of you. What this guy is is a tool. His political beliefs are not for discussion.

comicbookresources.com/

Comic books are made to be read. But along the way they’ve grown to become a collectible in the minds of some, leading to an interesting bifurcation of fandom: collectors and readers.

My Friend Dahmer cartoonist Derf Backderf is a longtime fan who, while downsizing his collection, wandered upon the uniquely placed Certified Guaranty Company (CGC). The avowed comic fan who followed his hobby into a career was shocked at the degree to which comics collecting had subsumed the readability of comics, especially given that “true collectors” would hermetically seal their comics in CGC “slabs,” leaving them unable to be read — you know, the original intent for the comic.

“For someone who has devoted his life to making comics, and who takes several years to painstakingly craft each one … to be READ! … this is an abomination,” Derf wrote in a long post on his blog. “For baseball cards, fine. because you can still read everything on the card. With a comic book, 90 percent of the contents are lost forever! Most of these “collectors” wouldn’t know the difference between Wally Wood and Wally Walrus. They’re just collecting a number. It’s an affront to everything I hold dear.”

Derf, who has been reading comics since the mid-1970s, covers the growth of the secondhand comics market and the rise of collectability through the Overstreet Price Guide and now through CGC. Because of this severe leaning toward collectability limiting the readability of comics, the cartoonist has started what he calls a “one-man crusade against slabbing” by buying CGC books and “then free[ing] them from their plastic coffins.”

Wait until he finds out that someone has slabbed his Dahmer comic.

6am04.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

6am64.jpg

He's completely against slabbed books, but he had no problem signing one of his own books knowing full well that it would be slabbed?

Sounds like kind of a hollow crusade

Let's be fair. This guy is hardly on a one man crusade. We heard similar comments when CGC was introduced and still hear them today. I suspect there are more collectors who would agree with him than disagree. Certainly when we set up at local shows we meet many collectors who won't look at slabs and want to buy raw books.

Comic books were made to be read and reading a reprint isn't the same. I understand why CGC exists and appreciate their services, but the current focus on keys, classic covers and speculation seems to focus on the love of profit rather than the love of comics.

+One Zillion

I found it pretty obvious, once I read a few of his comic strips on his website. Without dragging this into any kind of political discussion, it's seemed somewhat clear to me that he is one of those hardline, shove his opinion down everyone's throat, tolerance of other peoples ideas/opinions is a one way street, kinda guys.

Looking at that kind of mentality and his comments discussed here in, it all fits together like a perfect little puzzle. He's a wingnut.

Yeah, none of those kind of people around here!

Let's be fair. This guy is hardly on a one man crusade. We heard similar comments when CGC was introduced and still hear them today. I suspect there are more collectors who would agree with him than disagree. Certainly when we set up at local shows we meet many collectors who won't look at slabs and want to buy raw books.

Comic books were made to be read and reading a reprint isn't the same. I understand why CGC exists and appreciate their services, but the current focus on keys, classic covers and speculation seems to focus on the love of profit rather than the love of comics.

Now THAT'S America! Jesus loves MONEY! And Country Music!

Until Derf knocks on my door wanting to free my comics I'm really not going to sweat it that much.

That actually sounds intriguing. I was expecting:

GACYcomic1.jpg

It was an incredibly good read. Easily one of my favorite reads of last year.

+One Zillion

+One Zillion

WHAT IS HE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

One of you says one way, one says another?

Lets label people because of their political beliefs, even though we don't have a clue what they are?

What a crock. The both of you. What this guy is is a tool. His political beliefs are not for discussion.

Actually I was describing the same thing as the good Dr. I thought the line about tolerance being a one way street was a dead give away.

comicbookresources.com/

It's highly interesting that when anyone posts an article that is in any way critical of CGC or its slabbing practice, the frightened masses always resort to mass-image SPAMMING in hopes that it will just all go away and they can get back to caressing their precious slabs.

Or maybe it's a stupid and tired critique that earns its image spam.

Why does he care? Having an opinion is fine, not liking something is fine. But taking up a crusade against something? I mean unless that crusade is to rid media of the Kardashians and the like, a crusade seems to be overkill.

+One Zillion

Well, no one has humped the button yet...

;)

-slym