• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
8 8

517 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

cool picture-- looks like that guy just had his haircut. Any idea what year that might be? I'm guessing late fifties. Where did you find that shot?

I found it on Google the lazy man's friend! As for the year I see a Bob Hope at the bottom so it must be the mid 60's, great photo as you say and such a great period in time for geeks: Universal monsters on TV Batman TV u.n.c.l.e Bond The Monkees Tarzan Mission impossible The Avengers TV Silver age comics Barbara Eden<3 The Munsters Addams family Thriller the list goes on and on.   

10 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I found it on Google the lazy man's friend! As for the year I see a Bob Hope at the bottom so it must be the mid 60's, great photo as you say and such a great period in time for geeks: Universal monsters on TV Batman TV u.n.c.l.e Bond The Monkees Tarzan Mission impossible The Avengers TV Silver age comics Barbara Eden<3 The Munsters Addams family Thriller the list goes on and on.   

I was just a baby at the time but I watched the reruns. Seems like a great time-- as was the 1970s imo. I'm glad I grew up buying from spinner racks.

1 minute ago, tv horror said:

There goes my junior detectives badge! Well done on finding the other issues:golfclap:  Don't we lead sad lives?:)

naw-- that was fun. I was sure it was late 1950s based on that swell haircut and those glasses (and the store decor). One thing interesting about the rack itself is the lack of any company topper. Identifying that rack might be the real detective job, but this is the right thread to find someone who knows/has a good guess.

15 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Identifying that rack might be the real detective job,

As I live in Ireland the shops here were slightly different it was odd to find comics on a spinner they tended to be laid out newsagent style with less damage although there was one old shopkeeper who used to fold them over a hanging string! What would the graders say about that?:)  

Just saw this today.  Looks like the founder of ECCC has started a crowdfunded spinner rack.  Doesn't look half bad.

The link to their crowd source page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/335299715/the-classic-comic-book-spinner-rack

Edited by JazzMan

I just saw that kickstarter. I'm really mixed about these being reproduced to be honest. I understand everyone wants one in their man cave, but people are just too lazy these days and expect to pay their way to finding anything that might be too difficult to track down. Reproductions have become quite the connundrum in the hobby's I'm a part of, so this is one of those things I wish they'd just leave be to finds in the wild, and/or resale markets.

5 hours ago, comicwiz said:

I just saw that kickstarter. I'm really mixed about these being reproduced to be honest. I understand everyone wants one in their man cave, but people are just too lazy these days and expect to pay their way to finding anything that might be too difficult to track down. Reproductions have become quite the connundrum in the hobby's I'm a part of, so this is one of those things I wish they'd just leave be to finds in the wild, and/or resale markets.

That and there are actually quite a few spinners to be found. The only real issue is shipping them which has to be done in the case of the reproduction anyways.