• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
8 8

517 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

It's a late 1940s Dell rack.  Very unusual design.  That's the only one I've seen.  I don't live anywhere near its location, and shipping is really difficult, or I'd have bought it already.  

It's not a very practical rack though.  I believes the shelves are too shallow to shelve Masterwork/Archive type books (which is what I use most of my racks for since racks harm comics), and unlike the three shelf Dell racks this can't accommodate oversized books (excepton the top shelf).  

What are your thoughts on the price, fair market value? 

Edited by Blastaar

8 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

What are your thoughts on the price, fair market value? 

I think it's a great price and if I lived in the area I'd already own it.  I first saw it on an online site months ago.

My only hesitancy is that it appears to be the least useful style of comic rack. Might not be enough space between racks vertically to accommodate a slab display.  And I don't think the shelves have enough depth for Archive format books.  So you'd probably only be able to use it for displaying bagged comics or shelving paperbacks (and there are Dell paperback racks in a similar style which would fit PBs much better - in fact I have one which is pictured earlier in this thread).  

These days you can get both vintage and brand new vintage style spinner racks for under $500 (including shipping to your home).  So if you're looking for a more practical storage space, I'd consider the options.

7 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Here's my newest rack, the 1948 Dell rack.  This is not in as nice condition as I usually get, but this rack came from a drugstore in Sacramento (Tower Theatre drug store) that my mom was going to when she was a kid back in 1948.  So I couldn't resist.  In the background, you can see my three shelf Gold Key rack, same format as three shelf Dell rack, which is great for oversize books.

528580405_IMG_0186(1).thumb.jpg.66988e53bf5ed703c3328c890502410d.jpg

Oh man, that’s awesome.  My old lady would love to have either that one or the big bookcase style one.  She’s a big golden age collector with a focus on LTMM and Porky.  Almost a full run of LTMM.  Only about 20 or so issues left.  

15 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Great price!  Reproductions are selling for $350 and yours is in great shape!

Thank you.  I was very very lucky on this one.  The guy posted it on Craigslist, and he was right down the road from where I worked at the time.  $50, all original parts including the legs, no rust.  I was stoked beyond belief!  Subsequently someone offered me $400 and I said nope, lol; keeping this.

OK what do you guys think this is worth very very very rusted with the Comics signs removed from the top But it spins and all the pieces are secure

46858A52-ED5D-4624-93FD-B0DE4E268C23.jpeg

Edited by Bird

12 minutes ago, Bird said:

OK what do you guys think this is worth very very very rusted with the Comics signs removed from the top But it spins and all the pieces are secure

46858A52-ED5D-4624-93FD-B0DE4E268C23.jpeg

I feel like a lot of the value comes from the condition and signage.  I’d say, just to get a spinner, I’d pay $75 for it.

40 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I feel like a lot of the value comes from the condition and signage.  I’d say, just to get a spinner, I’d pay $75 for it.

Yeah. They guy had it for display of the comics at a flea market and said I could get it for $50. I may pass, or then again I may go back at 2:15 before close. probably pass though.

Edited by Bird
I have two spinners now already!