• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
8 8

517 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, Bird said:

Yeah. They guy had it for display of the comics at a flea market and said I could get it for $50. I may pass, or then again I may go back at 2:15 before close. probably pass though.

If you didn’t have two already, for $50, why not?  But since you do, I’d probably pass also.

1 minute ago, DocHoppus182 said:

If you didn’t have two already, for $50, why not?  But since you do, I’d probably pass also.

Yeah, I passed on it. It was very rusty and repainted.

7 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I picked up a 70's era "Hey Kids" spinner at the Calgary Expo from Quicksilver Signs. I put my Marvel Value Stamp collection into it and the spinner I already had.

20190515_060707.jpg

What do you put your comics in to keep them from bending? I recently noticed some minor indenting from the comics sitting against the metal. Top loaders don't fit in my spinner.

1 hour ago, srezvan said:

What do you put your comics in to keep them from bending? I recently noticed some minor indenting from the comics sitting against the metal. Top loaders don't fit in my spinner.

Top loaders do fit into my spinners. The left spinner top left has a value stamp booklet series B in a top loader.

That said what you are looking at above the books are in mylites with backing board. Other than the Hulk 180-181-182 trilogy most of the books in the Marvel Value Stamp collection are of lower value. I collected anything for grade but I would say the majority are in F-VF condition.

Edited by Artboy99

On 5/21/2019 at 7:19 PM, srezvan said:

You can cut down some boards to the height of the rack wires, it will block the bottom of the book but keep it rigid. You can also use clear thick plastic same size as a comic to put in front. But probably best to not keep your multiple copies of AF15 in a spinner rack. 

Lot of interesting comic book spinner racks and wall racks to look at. Something come up on my mind, what if one of us happen to find one rack with sprayed or brushed paint over the rack or on sign? How do we remove this paint without harming the original sign? 

I have always wondered about that

A friend of mine who knows I like comic racks sent me some pics of one for sale locally. Have you all seen one like this? There are no "pockets" for holding the books, so I can only assume that this was used for displaying books that were sold in hanger packs? TO ME, MY BOARDIES, I call upon your collective spinner rack knowledge! 

She's asking what I would think to be an exorbitant amount, but I may be interested if I can figure out what the heck I'd do with it, and could get the price down. I like the topper, at least. If you have any ideas on ballpark price range, what I should offer, I'd appreciate it. I've not seen one like this locally. Thanks!

IMG_0027.PNG

IMG_0028.PNG

IMG_0029.PNG

IMG_0030.PNG

Edited by F For Fake

5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

A friend of mine who knows I like comic racks sent me some pics of one for sale locally. Have you all seen one like this? There are no "pockets" for holding the books, so I can only assume that this was used for displaying books that were sold in hanger packs? TO ME, MY BOARDIES, I call upon your collective spinner rack knowledge! 

She's asking what I would think to be an exorbitant amount, but I may be interested if I can figure out what the heck I'd do with it, and could get the price down. I like the topper, at least. If you have any ideas on ballpark price range, what I should offer, I'd appreciate it. I've not seen one like this locally. Thanks!

IMG_0027.PNG

IMG_0028.PNG

IMG_0029.PNG

IMG_0030.PNG

That is awesome.  I’ve not seen that version before.  I’d think a couple hundred bucks and you’d be safe.  I’ve done quite well with the traditional spinner versions.  Again, the key for me on this one is that I’ve never seen it before.

15 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Oh yea, @F For Fake, what is the exorbitant amount?  PM me if you’d like.

No worries Doc, I don't mind sharing. She's asking $300. If it was a "full" rack with the pockets, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat, but since I've never seen one with just the hangers like this, I wasn't sure what I was looking at exactly. I was concerned it may have even been a custom job of some sort. I've never seen one like this one before, which COULD mean it's rare, or it could also mean it's some wacky one-off that someone's cousin welded together, or something. Looks like it needs some TLC as well. $300 felt a little high. $200...I'd feel a lot better.

Edited by F For Fake

Just now, F For Fake said:

No worries Doc, I don't mind sharing. She's asking $300. If it was a "full" rack with the pockets, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat, but since I've never seen one with just the hangers like this, I wasn't sure what I was looking at exactly. I was concerned it may have even been a custom job of some sort. I've never seen one like this one before, which COULD mean it's rare, or it could also mean it's some wacky one-off that someone's cousin welded together, or something. Looks like it needs some TLC as well. 

Hmm.  See if she’d take less.  If not, buy it anyway, :D

1 minute ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Hmm.  See if she’d take less.  If not, buy it anyway, :D

If it's still hanging around this weekend, I may go give it a look!

On 5/27/2019 at 6:22 AM, Fan Boy said:

Lot of interesting comic book spinner racks and wall racks to look at. Something come up on my mind, what if one of us happen to find one rack with sprayed or brushed paint over the rack or on sign? How do we remove this paint without harming the original sign? 

I have always wondered about that

If you're talking about the Dell rack on eBay with an embossed sign, this is what I'd do:  

Use chemicals or a very fine sand blaster to strip the sign down to the metal.  Then repaint it.  Because it is embossed, it would be easy to create the right stencil to get the font right.  Especially since I can send you a pic of what the sign should look like (font and color scheme).  Sure it would be restored, but it would look cool.

I thought about buying it for a resto job, but I don't need that one.

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

If it's still hanging around this weekend, I may go give it a look!

You might want to act quick, that's listed online for $250 with $54 shipping.  So you can get it for $250 locally.

Here's the problem with that kind of rack:  You can only use them to hang bags.  And you would not want to do that because the bags will stretch out and be ruined.  So you're really just buying the sign.  Signs are cool, but you can buy the signs cheaper.  

Personally, I think, you'd be better off buying a rack you can use to display comics (fyi - cgc case is too wide) or archive/masterworks books.

4 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

You might want to act quick, that's listed online for $250 with $54 shipping.  So you can get it for $250 locally.

Here's the problem with that kind of rack:  You can only use them to hang bags.  And you would not want to do that because the bags will stretch out and be ruined.  So you're really just buying the sign.  Signs are cool, but you can buy the signs cheaper.  

Personally, I think, you'd be better off buying a rack you can use to display comics (fyi - cgc case is too wide) or archive/masterworks books.

Yes, that's kind of why I'm hesitating buying it at all. I already have two non-spinner racks that display books nicely. I honestly don't know what I'd DO with this rack if I bought it. Hang action figures on it? I just don't know. It may be cool for the relative rarity (if it even is rare) but aside from sitting in a corner somewhere, I'm not sure what I'd be able to use it for. My other racks have a function. This one would just be an art piece, more or less. As you said, I'd really just be buying the sign, and $250-$300 is more than I'd really want to spend on just a sign. 

So...I'm still thinking this one over. If someone ends up buying it before I make up my mind, that would be helpful ha

17 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, that's kind of why I'm hesitating buying it at all. I already have two non-spinner racks that display books nicely. I honestly don't know what I'd DO with this rack if I bought it. Hang action figures on it? I just don't know. It may be cool for the relative rarity (if it even is rare) but aside from sitting in a corner somewhere, I'm not sure what I'd be able to use it for. My other racks have a function. This one would just be an art piece, more or less. As you said, I'd really just be buying the sign, and $250-$300 is more than I'd really want to spend on just a sign. 

So...I'm still thinking this one over. If someone ends up buying it before I make up my mind, that would be helpful ha

I've never seen it before so I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  It's cool

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

I've never seen it before so I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  It's cool

hm

I am susceptible to peer pressure. Pretty sure you guys could make me buy it!