• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
8 8

517 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

A friend of mine who knows I like comic racks sent me some pics of one for sale locally. Have you all seen one like this? There are no "pockets" for holding the books, so I can only assume that this was used for displaying books that were sold in hanger packs? TO ME, MY BOARDIES, I call upon your collective spinner rack knowledge! 

She's asking what I would think to be an exorbitant amount, but I may be interested if I can figure out what the heck I'd do with it, and could get the price down. I like the topper, at least. If you have any ideas on ballpark price range, what I should offer, I'd appreciate it. I've not seen one like this locally. Thanks!

IMG_0027.PNG

IMG_0028.PNG

IMG_0029.PNG

IMG_0030.PNG

I have seen one of these before but it was over 40 years ago!

It was used to sell repacked comics like these:

1_577610eaef4605c8574645079b16ca4e.jpg

1975-09-MMM-1A.jpg

1975-09-MMM-1B.jpg

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

For those books, you really should use this rack:

_57.jpg

55 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

1975-09-MMM-1A.jpg

1975-09-MMM-1B.jpg

Thanks for verifying! I assumed that was the case, but I'd never seen one before, so I wasn't sure. Couldn't think of any other reason for it!

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

hm

I am susceptible to peer pressure. Pretty sure you guys could make me buy it!

I'd only buy it if you want to start collecting bagged comics.  And if that's the case, why not focus on an specific publisher with a lot of bags available for purchase and get a slightly better condition?: 

s-l1600.jpg

$275 with shipping on eBay.  I thought about buying it, but I've already got the ultimate Gold Key rack and no desire to collect old bagged comics.

4 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I'd only buy it if you want to start collecting bagged comics.  And if that's the case, why not focus on an specific publisher with a lot of bags available for purchase and get a slightly better condition?: 

s-l1600.jpg

$275 with shipping on eBay.  I thought about buying it, but I've already got the ultimate Gold Key rack and no desire to collect old bagged comics.

Eh, not a Gold Key guy, personally. 

56 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

s-l1600.jpg

I am the same, I have never wanted to pursue one of these racks because I also do not want to collect the packaged comics that these display. I did think about creating the packs making a custom package topper and sealing books I already have in them to display, but that is a lot of work and I already have several standing racks to display those books so I never pursued it.

Here is some artwork I made that was originally used as labels for dividers for comics at comic shows but the idea never really worked as the dividers we not tall enough to be very noticeable and if made taller then they didn't fit in the long boxes. 

They could work to make package tops for packaged comics though... :idea:

Divider%20Master%20A_zpsbfa36f2s.jpg

Divider%20Spiderman_zpssmejxfoe.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

9 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

If you're talking about the Dell rack on eBay with an embossed sign, this is what I'd do:  

Use chemicals or a very fine sand blaster to strip the sign down to the metal.  Then repaint it.  Because it is embossed, it would be easy to create the right stencil to get the font right.  Especially since I can send you a pic of what the sign should look like (font and color scheme).  Sure it would be restored, but it would look cool.

I thought about buying it for a resto job, but I don't need that one.

Can you PM me this picture you were talking about how the sign look like? And to your comments ... yes, the sign could be sandblasted to metal for a clean state then repaint all the original colors and shapes on it. But here is the question... what exact shades of colors? We have so many shades of colors, it’s a bit tricky to hit the right exact color. And the only way is to remove the spray paint off this sign to reveal the actual colors underneath there.

10 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Can you PM me this picture you were talking about how the sign look like? And to your comments ... yes, the sign could be sandblasted to metal for a clean state then repaint all the original colors and shapes on it. But here is the question... what exact shades of colors? We have so many shades of colors, it’s a bit tricky to hit the right exact color. And the only way is to remove the spray paint off this sign to reveal the actual colors underneath there.

Pm’d

Last page or so I asked about how to keep my comics from bending in the spinner. There were some good suggestions, and I found this store where they cut plastic to size. I ordered them the same size as the board and put them in front. TAPPlastics.com, Polycarbonate Sheets (Cut-to-Size) - Clear 1/32 (.030)" Thick, 7 inches Wide, 10-1/2 inches Long, $1.79 each plus shipping.

20190609_085114.thumb.jpg.e0df62a52c2895eb99c113f8ade7e068.jpg

Just had got myself a second comic book rack. It’s not a spinner but is a wall rack. It’s being shipped to me. Will post some photos when it arrives. 

Being that it is a wall rack, I might look in making a wood background stand to screw in the rack. That should give a nice appearance in my room. 

3 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Just had got myself a second comic book rack. It’s not a spinner but is a wall rack. It’s being shipped to me. Will post some photos when it arrives. 

Being that it is a wall rack, I might look in making a wood background stand to screw in the rack. That should give a nice appearance in my room. 

Sounds like fun! :headbang: looking forward to it

On 9/8/2019 at 4:17 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I never thought I’d find a second one.  Drove a long way to get it.  Pretty awesome. 

A529622D-1333-4A90-8934-FEAF369C6EA7.jpeg

Is that the one what was listed on eBay?  I thought it was a good price and it looks like you might be able to offer it some tender loving care and improve the condition significantly.

16 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Is that the one what was listed on eBay?  I thought it was a good price and it looks like you might be able to offer it some tender loving care and improve the condition significantly.

Yep.  We did a cash deal off the bay.  I feel that I got a really good deal.  I owned it all of about 6 hours.  A good friend of mine convinced me that he wanted it more than I did.  So, since I already have one, we worked a deal.  

2 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Yep.  We did a cash deal off the bay.  I feel that I got a really good deal.  I owned it all of about 6 hours.  A good friend of mine convinced me that he wanted it more than I did.  So, since I already have one, we worked a deal.  

Your friend should be grateful!  He's joined a select club.  Here's examples know of, including this first one which is mine, the second one which I believe is yours, and the third one which is/was Zaid's:

Vintage 1950's Comic Book Spinner Rack.

IMG_1438.JPG

DSCN1723.jpg

Image result for comic code authority spinner rack

There's also a non-spinner version which looks like the missing third of the above, but I can't find the picture at this moment.  

Edited by sfcityduck

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Your friend should be grateful!  He's joined a select club.  Here's examples know of, including this first one which is mine, the second one which I believe is yours, and the third one which is/was Zaid's:

Vintage 1950's Comic Book Spinner Rack.

IMG_1438.JPG

DSCN1723.jpg

Image result for comic code authority spinner rack

There's also a non-spinner version which looks like the missing third of the above, but I can't find the picture at this moment.  

He is super grateful!  He has coveted mine ever since I got it.  I was happy to move it along to my good friend.  I love these things, as I know you do too.  I feel they're pieces of comic history that we’re so lucky to be able to preserve.

10 hours ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

I’m opening a small shop in Santa Clarita, Ca. I have these two. Sure tough to find them. imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

2CF9039A-7C01-4124-B144-A0F11511A654.jpeg

08F1B5EA-1315-4679-907F-19D2712DD661.jpeg

BB45DFF4-027F-45D1-B7E7-74E6DB931D39.png

good luck with your shop!

I have 2 of the "Best In Comics" display stands. One will hold up to bronze age books and it is in beautiful condition, the other I manipulated the pockets so I could get slabs into it.