• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
8 8

517 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

good luck with your shop!

I have 2 of the "Best In Comics" display stands. One will hold up to bronze age books and it is in beautiful condition, the other I manipulated the pockets so I could get slabs into it.

Thanks! I’ll post more pics and info on the shop as soon as we get opened. Finally moving books an inventory in now. 

On 5/21/2019 at 10:15 AM, Artboy99 said:

I picked up a 70's era "Hey Kids" spinner at the Calgary Expo from Quicksilver Signs. I put my Marvel Value Stamp collection into it and the spinner I already had.

20190515_060707.jpg

so when it came to ordering the books on the racks-- did you do it by MVS stamp number, title, or the distribution date -- or just by how you like to look at them.

8 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

so when it came to ordering the books on the racks-- did you do it by MVS stamp number, title, or the distribution date -- or just by how you like to look at them.

I have done it several different ways, my favorite is to display the books I am most fond of. Currently it is organized by value stamp number but as multiple books had the same stamp I put the book I like the best at the front of that pocket.

:cloud9:

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, 01TheDude said:

I get that supply is high for those type of spinners but if you are looking for the one you remember from the 1970s, that is the one you want. I appreciate the ancient spinners/racks but they don't relate to the time I was first collecting. Not that I am personally in the market for a spinner rack. Still-- spending 400 bucks for that spinner is over priced. $150 seems about the right number for one in nice shape.

I paid $200 CDN for one, $150 CDN for a second and the most recent I paid $400 CDN in Sept 2019 but it was in immaculate condition.

I am of the opinion to get the exact type of rack for my "time period" collection it was worth it to pay $550 CDN for 2 spinners.

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

$550 CDN

At $1.33 CDN that ...  US $423.  When I was little my father would make a killing dropping a c note Canadian at the NYS Thruway tollbooth because they took money at par and would give change in US dollars.  Lol.

41 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

At $1.33 CDN that ...  US $423.  When I was little my father would make a killing dropping a c note Canadian at the NYS Thruway tollbooth because they took money at par and would give change in US dollars.  Lol.

so $215 USD per spinner, I think that is pretty good.

One of them is definitely used and still in decent shape but I didn't think anything of bending the pockets so they could hold slabs, the other is very mint and I am proud to own it.

Your Father played with our "funny money" and made out like a bandit!

1 hour ago, srezvan said:

This is a problem I never thought I'd have - not enough room for comic racks. A comic shop near me is closing, so I bout 5 comic racks. Not spinners, but these are getting harder and harder to find. I'll clean them up and try to get a few up for display/use.

540667706_AllAboutBooksandComics5Racks.thumb.jpg.a4a3aeddafd01c366cba909af91aca66.jpg

I own 5 of that type of rack myself. Those look to be in decent shape.

18 minutes ago, PKJ said:

Got lucky locally on a 5 sided spinner rack this week. Wasn't in the market but could not pass it up. 

Spinner racks.jpg

and you already have it decked with comics! :headbang: Cool, must have been right place/ right time!

I'm going over this comic shop topic here.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/354972-remembering-that-first-lcs/#comments

And I'm thinking that I might pick one of these spinners up after all but just for modern comics. I remembered when I was a kid, I would go to an old bookstore called Kroch's and Brentano's. I believe they had comics on spinner racks near the magazines. And I would get a few or look for new issues there. I didn't know about Wednesday new comics then. Plus a while back I found an old Kroch's and Brentano's plastic bag. I can create some kind of display.

Now the thing is to find out how many variations of spinner racks are out there.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 11:11 PM, Robot Man said:

What do those racks go for?

Sorry I missed this when you posted it Robot Man.

I have paid $100 to $250 for one. I have a total of 5 of that type of rack. They are great to take to shows as they fold up.

The one pictured below I acquired off a local seller at a small comic show. He told me a price of $500 and I asked him if he would take trade and he said yes so I brought him to my booth. He started to look around and focused mostly on my wall books. I pointed to a long box I had on a table that I had full of books at 50% off. It was bronze, copper and a few moderns. Nothing fantastic in it, but a whole bunch of $5 books. I will be honest I was hoping to not have to take the box home with me, I didn't care about anything in the box. I told the guy he could have the whole box for the rack. I knew he would take the box as it had a lot of quantity. I know the guy, he is kinda weird and there have been stories of him going door to door to sell comics. He stands at gas stations with a box and sells while people fill up with gas. I kid you not.

Anyways he browsed the box, told me there was way more than $500 in the box, and I said he could take it for the rack. Deal was made. He was happy and I felt like I made out like a bandit giving him a headache full of junk books. :cloud9:

020.JPG

Many thanks. I have run into those from time to time but really know what to pay.

The guy you mentioned made me think of this guy. I used to see him on the grass medium on my way home from work standing with his sign. About the 3rd time I saw him, I had to pull over out of curiosity. He seemed a little "slow" and told me got his comics from an "old guy in a rest home". I just had to look in his back pack. Turned out they were just common stuff from the '80's. Saw him about 5 or 6 more times then he disappeared. Guess sales were slow...:roflmao:

comicman.JPG

31 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Many thanks. I have run into those from time to time but really know what to pay.

The guy you mentioned made me think of this guy. I used to see him on the grass medium on my way home from work standing with his sign. About the 3rd time I saw him, I had to pull over out of curiosity. He seemed a little "slow" and told me got his comics from an "old guy in a rest home". I just had to look in his back pack. Turned out they were just common stuff from the '80's. Saw him about 5 or 6 more times then he disappeared. Guess sales were slow...:roflmao:

comicman.JPG

yep, basically a guy like that here in my home town.

Maybe there is a guy like that in every city?

So I'm playing some Fallout 76 : Waste landers,   and I enter this building looking out for zombie teeth and I see......

yes.  A spinner rack !!  LOL !!  This one is in the brewery/tatoo building

Resized_20200508_103429.jpeg.f087de13b2f6ec389fe14285db0b11ba.jpeg