• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
8 8

517 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

$50 - $400 depending on condition and number of pockets.

Thanks, This one looks like its 4 sided with 7 pockets per side, condition looks pretty solid some wear on the white background of the tops but nothing bad. This is the 4th estate auction from a flea market close to my town that went out of business 5-10 years ago. I went to the 1st one and walked away with a Schomburg thrilling comics for $10 so I'm thinking/hoping I can get a good deal on this as well.

3 hours ago, unclezebo said:

Thanks, This one looks like its 4 sided with 7 pockets per side, condition looks pretty solid some wear on the white background of the tops but nothing bad. This is the 4th estate auction from a flea market close to my town that went out of business 5-10 years ago. I went to the 1st one and walked away with a Schomburg thrilling comics for $10 so I'm thinking/hoping I can get a good deal on this as well.

I hope so, the only estate auction I ever attended everything was high priced.

The rack should have 10 pockets per side.

Wondering if anyone has advice on where to find the Thrust Bearing to replace the original?  The washers were fine, but the bearing itself was rusted almost to dust.
Figured it would be easy to find one compatible, but having issues.  Wanted to totally referb it with a new sand and paint job.

Efe52UTWsAMB0dy.jpg

8 hours ago, I got Issues said:

Wondering if anyone has advice on where to find the Thrust Bearing to replace the original?  The washers were fine, but the bearing itself was rusted almost to dust.
Figured it would be easy to find one compatible, but having issues.  Wanted to totally referb it with a new sand and paint job.

Efe52UTWsAMB0dy.jpg

Awesome spinner!  I’m really not sure where to find the bearing.  I’m not sure a regular hardware store would have it.  

But don’t sand and paint.  I fee like that’s part of the charm.  It is what it is.

Edited by DocHoppus182
Phrasing.

8 hours ago, I got Issues said:

Efe52UTWsAMB0dy.jpg

Use the bearing measurements to find the bearing part number online and you should easily be able to find a replacement on either ebay, amazon or another online seller.

I did that, even used calipers to make sure I was dead on with the mesurments.  Went to a local retailer that specializes in bearings.
They found one bearing that "might" work.
That inside Diameter is where I'm running into issues.  Bearings are either too small, or way over from what ive seen... that's why I was asking if anyone had any advice.

Edited by I got Issues

1 hour ago, I got Issues said:

I did that, even used calipers to make sure I was dead on with the mesurments.  Went to a local retailer that specializes in bearings.
They found one bearing that "might" work.
That inside Diameter is where I'm running into issues.  Bearings are either too small, or way over from what ive seen... that's why I was asking if anyone had any advice.

Any chance the bearing is a metric size?

26 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Any chance the bearing is a metric size?

This is the bearing the guy at Bearing Headquarters found for me.
I took the old bearing washers in with me so if he needed them he could measure them too.
He wen't through everything in his system.
https://www.bdiexpress.com/ca/en/Bearings/Ball-Bearings/Thrust-Ball-Bearing/D14/p/1172679

^that bearing is the only one he found that would work.
He gave me a much better price than what that place wants... still pricey.
I was just curious if anyone else had replaced it and where.  I might order this one next week (he has to ship it in from Chicago... only one they have in stock)

Edit: It's only a one way bearing.  Might just get it and use it until I can find a better deal on a 2-way. 

Edited by I got Issues

So this isn’t a spinner rack but it’s one I am looking to own. Anyone have a rough idea on a date or era or how to tell/find out?

F2F0C716-E006-4E92-A3D4-3A3045EC3227.jpeg.d665483165ac77e7452ad3b4d1376e3a.jpeg

I want to make sure I display correct era books in it when I get it:)

Edited by comicginger1789

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:13 PM, I got Issues said:

Efe52UTWsAMB0dy.jpg

buy a lazy susan bearing. I got mine off Ebay for less than 5 bucks.

You want the one with the 1" inside opening, the 3" bearing is it.

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

So this isn’t a spinner rack but it’s one I am looking to own. Anyone have a rough idea on a date or era or how to tell/find out?

F2F0C716-E006-4E92-A3D4-3A3045EC3227.jpeg.d665483165ac77e7452ad3b4d1376e3a.jpeg

I want to make sure I display correct era books in it when I get it:)

those were manufactured in the late 70''s into 2000's.

You need to check the pocket size.

Below is my stand up rack of that type. The pockets hold current size books only.

20200922_185333.jpg

20200922_185400.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

14 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

those were manufactured in the late 70''s into 2000's.

You need to check the pocket size.

Below is my stand up rack of that type. The pockets hold current size books only.

20200922_185333.jpg

20200922_185400.jpg

So yours is about 7.5 inches wide? A wider one would indicate older then?

52 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

So yours is about 7.5 inches wide? A wider one would indicate older then?

It is 15" wide, with 2 columns of pockets that are 7.25" in size. You can get moderns in it only, in the 7" bags with board.

My 70's standup/foldup rack is also 15" wide but the pockets are 7.5". Measuring the width of the rack won't help you. You need to tell the seller's they need to provide you with measurements of the inside of the pocket width.

Edited by Artboy99