• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
8 8

517 posts in this topic

Not sure if its ok to mention here, but anyone wanting to scratch that vintage rack itch (ok that sounds horrible), I've got a rack listed with Hakes auction closing tonight.

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/243248/COMICS-READ-ONE-TODAY-WIRE-COMIC-BOOK-SALES-RACK

image.jpg.633d0ed5a809b0c7834e6aed32e0017f.jpg

On 2/25/2021 at 2:29 PM, miraclemet said:

Not sure if its ok to mention here, but anyone wanting to scratch that vintage rack itch (ok that sounds horrible), I've got a rack listed with Hakes auction closing tonight.

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/243248/COMICS-READ-ONE-TODAY-WIRE-COMIC-BOOK-SALES-RACK

Care to update on what this sold for?  Inquiring minds want to know.

3 minutes ago, BGPhilbiln said:

Thanks! I'll see what I can do about putting one together with a few of the gang, say, Archie with Bettie, Veronica and Jughead, perhaps?

I’d be interested in those myself. :takeit:

On 2/18/2021 at 5:31 PM, fbjacob said:

On 2/18/2021 at 5:31 PM, fbjacob said:

Thanks to all of you for the great photos and advice!  You inspired me to pull my spinner rack out of storage, and the lazy susan bearings work perfectly.  (It’s still stocked with random books to avoid having nice comics within reach of little hands.)  One question:  anyone have suggestions on how to reduce the squeak when it spins?  

Grease is the way to go with the bearing, but you have to be careful to clean it up a lot if you're going to use the rack on carpet as pictured. You don't want any grease getting away from you. The other culprit may be contact surfaces. This is something that would require you to disassemble the rack from the post and stand. It's a job I'd do in a workshop/garage/driveway. I'd recommend inspecting all of the components that contact each other or rub against each other and cleaning them or perhaps polishing those with wear (using metal polishing compound). To lubricate these contact areas, you might be able to use a dry silicone/graphite or Teflon lubricant. DuPont makes a Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant in a squeeze bottle, which you could apply to the affected areas with QTips. Same with, say, 3-IN-ONE Dry Lube. Make sure it's dry to the touch before bringing it back in.

After that, take the balls out of the bearing well. I'd clean up all of the components, making sure to remove all grease and dirt, inspect all of the bearing balls and replacing any that are mishapen or worn out-of-round. Then, pack the bearing well with grease, grease up the bearing balls and put them back into the well (this can require some patience to fit them all back in with the slippery grease). Clean up the outside, reassemble, spin it for awhile with some weight on it, re-clean any areas with squeeze out and Bob's your uncle. 

Edited by BGPhilbiln
Left a comment out.

On 12/29/2020 at 3:06 PM, archiecomicscollector said:

@BGPhilbilnI have a non-branded, no-signage spinner rack. I would love to add one that features Archie to my collection, but I haven't come across one in my area.  

Thanks! I'll see what I can do about putting a placard together with a few of the gang, say, Archie with Bettie, Veronica and Jughead, perhaps?

9 hours ago, ThothAmon said:
On 2/25/2021 at 1:29 PM, miraclemet said:

Care to update on what this sold for?  Inquiring minds want to know.

:gossip:

Price3.thumb.jpg.9723f905df344dea1189ba4d0583fe1b.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 4/23/2021 at 12:05 PM, BGPhilbiln said:

Thanks! I'll see what I can do about putting a placard together with a few of the gang, say, Archie with Bettie, Veronica and Jughead, perhaps?

Okay, here's what I came up with. I used as much original art as I could resource and kept the period to around 1968-1972, which is when this rack topper was first made. I did one with blue as an added color (when silkscreening onto steel - which is what's necessary to reproduce these faithfully - that adds another entire screen and increases cost of reproducing it) and one with only the original colors. Let me know what you think!

If anyone wants a large TIF version, let me know and I'll set up my DropBox for guests to come get them.

ARCHIE Comic Spinner Rack Top .jpg

ARCHIE Comic Spinner Rack Top ALTERNATE .jpg

10 hours ago, BGPhilbiln said:

Okay, here's what I came up with. I used as much original art as I could resource and kept the period to around 1968-1972, which is when this rack topper was first made. I did one with blue as an added color (when silkscreening onto steel - which is what's necessary to reproduce these faithfully - that adds another entire screen and increases cost of reproducing it) and one with only the original colors. Let me know what you think!

If anyone wants a large TIF version, let me know and I'll set up my DropBox for guests to come get them.

UPDATE - Jughead's ears were bothering me. I realized that I'd used original art from the cover of Archie's Pal, Jughead #59, which was from 1960. Looking at an almost identical Jughead facial expression from years later (Archie's Pal Jughead #101), I realized that they had not exaggerated his ears like this on anything resembling a regular basis. The old cover had Archie and Jughead's faces taking up more than 1/3 of the cover, so I think this may have factored into the artist (Samm Schwartz) having added more detail than necessary. Here are the new signs again with normal ears for Jughead.

ARCHIE Comic Spinner Rack Top .jpg

ARCHIE Comic Spinner Rack Top ALTERNATE .jpg

6 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

This is a really cool thread and you guys have some awesome spinners/racks. I looked for a vintage one for awhile but couldn’t find any with the correct condition to price ratio for me... maybe some day. I finally decided to order one from spinner rack. I’m really happy with it. I wanted to have reader copies of my main set on display. I made the topppers myself. I basically scanned one each of the Superman titles at the time and had them printed on heavy card stock.., nothing too fancy but I’m happy with the rack and toppers.  P.S. I have since blocked all light from coming in that window.
1146D0B0-CF2F-49EE-8F04-B1430BE76FDE.thumb.jpeg.aaab37e4325dcf47a5a20b710f9529cb.jpeg

Awesome! Man seeing all those issues together make me remember how many I found at the various Newsstands when young. I believe I even had a copy of that wizard at the bottom! :banana:

On 12/29/2020 at 6:06 PM, archiecomicscollector said:

@BGPhilbilnI have a non-branded, no-signage spinner rack. I would love to add one that features Archie to my collection, but I haven't come across one in my area.  

thumbnail.jpg

Oh, it just occurred to me that my band follows you on Instagram! I'm always in awe of your collection and the new additions.

Came across this for sale...I have no idea if it’s old or new or a repro. It apparently came out of a general store. Figured the folks here could enlighten me!

UPDATE: Came out of a closed up store, along with a little golden books display rack/shelf advertising the little golden books for sale at 15 cents...so maybe this is from around the 60's/70's?

4B32FF9D-BF8A-45CC-B339-10EE7DE1FBD5.jpeg

Edited by comicginger1789