• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
8 8

517 posts in this topic

2i7s4dx.jpg

I got this one from Border books

Does it spin? Or, is the third side flat to go against the wall?

It spins. I just took the racks off of one side to put it against the wall due to space constraints. I actually have comics on 3 sides.

15405963528_086074c08f_z.jpg

Here's mine! Got it at a little second hand book store. The owner had this one and two 5-sided spinner racks. When I asked him if he would be interested in selling one of them, he thought about it for a bit and said he would. When I asked how much, he said $20. Needless to say, I couldn't get my hand to my wallet fast enough!

Edited by Willie Lumpkin

15405963528_086074c08f_z.jpg

Here's mine! Got it at a little second hand book store. The owner had this one and two 5-sided spinner racks. When I asked him if he would be interested in selling one of them, he thought about it for a bit and said he would. When I asked how much, he said $20. Needless to say, I couldn't get my hand to my wallet fast enough!

I don't think I've seen a two-sided tin sign spinner version. Cool!

Hey, everyone! I always come back to this forum and thread when I'm searching for comic spinners, so I thought I'd finally post mine. Through some diligent Craigslist searching and a bit of driving, I was able to score one spinner and one wooden Dell rack.

This is a spinner manufactured by Felbro, Inc. of Los Angeles. The seller told me it was from the 1960s, but I don't really know that for sure. Regardless, it's got a permanent spot in my office!

17916459660_174a15886c_z.jpg

17916220888_2a13e9991e_z.jpg

I was lucky enough to find this wooden Dell rack within 20 minutes of me for a bargain, so it was a no-brainer! Granted, it has quite a bit of water damage, stains and peeled veneer (it apparently sat unprotected in a shed for years), but after sprucing it up, it cleaned up nicely! If anyone has any historical information on either of these, I'd be happy to hear about it. I've seen the Felbro rack online before (and from watching AMC's Comic Book Men - there's at least one like it in the Secret Stash). I think the wooden rack is harder to come by, and I've not seen this exact model online before, to my knowledge.

17916439980_b142d8c826_z.jpg

17916224888_0ebaafe381_z.jpg

I was lucky enough to find this wooden Dell rack within 20 minutes of me for a bargain, so it was a no-brainer! Granted, it has quite a bit of water damage, stains and peeled veneer (it apparently sat unprotected in a shed for years), but after sprucing it up, it cleaned up nicely! If anyone has any historical information on either of these, I'd be happy to hear about it. I've seen the Felbro rack online before (and from watching AMC's Comic Book Men - there's at least one like it in the Secret Stash). I think the wooden rack is harder to come by, and I've not seen this exact model online before, to my knowledge.

:applause: Nice one!!!

Oooh, do you have before and after pics? What did you do to fix it up this nice and not lose any of the graphics?

Not sure if anyone has ever posted a video of a spinner rack actually...y'know...spinning.

So here's mine, loaded with a whole bunch of childhood favorites, doing exactly what it was designed to do...

Hey, Tivo32. Here's a side-by-side pic of the before and after. I used a product called Kramer's Best Antique Improver (there's probably a lot similar products out there). I found it at an antique mall I like to frequent and thought I might as well try it. It really restored and brought to life the dry, dead looking wood.

18138428172_13712368cf_z.jpg

Oooh, do you have before and after pics? What did you do to fix it up this nice and not lose any of the graphics?

Love your Dell Rack! I've got one too. Mine is a bit smaller with only 3 comic sections. I do have all the blue bar advertising titles though. I've seen another one like mine but never seen your larger one. Good score!

comicrackdell2_zpskanr4fvq.jpg

I'm guessing that the colors on both of our racks are correct. They are obviously two different sizes so it makes sense that they are slightly different colors. An interesting fact about mine. When I got it, it only had the top and middle blue bars. It did not appear that there was one missing at the bottom. I was at an antique show and spotted the loose blue piece at the bottom. It was cheap so I bought it and just popped it into place. Thought it looked better. You are probably missing at least one. No matter what, I have always loved mine and as you can see, put it to good use. I have another picture of it full of just Dell comics from the period. I change it up all the time!

such an awesome thread.I always remember going to the supermarket as a kid and getting comics off a spinner rack!wonder how much they go for now i'd love to have one.awesome dell racks too.but I do have a question:Do Spinner Racks bend or lower the grade of a comic over time being displayed in one?

:Do Spinner Racks bend or lower the grade of a comic over time...?

Yes.

But who cares? Load it up with lower grade books (or, if you're a true purist, higher grade stuff -- after all, it was originally designed to display brand-new books!), give it a spin, have some fun, and re-live a small portion of your childhood. It's worth it!

:)

:Do Spinner Racks bend or lower the grade of a comic over time...?

Yes.

But who cares? Load it up with lower grade books (or, if you're a true purist, higher grade stuff -- after all, it was originally designed to display brand-new books!), give it a spin, have some fun, and re-live a small portion of your childhood. It's worth it!

:)

I bag and board my spinner books:

001_zpscge1mizc.jpg

Currently using my spinner for my Marvel Value Stamp collection.