• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
8 8

517 posts in this topic

I picked up this baby from a pharmacy that was closing when I was 10. I've repainted it as the original paint was peeling (maybe had lead?) but still looks pretty nice in blue. I've searched around online and haven't seen one like this before. Anyone know anything about this rack? Vintage or otherwise?

I don't have a webserver handy so here's some Google doc links with pics

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byl16dxK9KWCUnhJRkU0bWY0Wl8tUThpT3lKT2dLc3YySThV

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byl16dxK9KWCSTNYeG5wRkNYREktYmFsazlrSUdSNUVZWmww

I picked up this baby from a pharmacy that was closing when I was 10. I've repainted it as the original paint was peeling (maybe had lead?) but still looks pretty nice in blue. I've searched around online and haven't seen one like this before. Anyone know anything about this rack? Vintage or otherwise?

I don't have a webserver handy so here's some Google doc links with pics

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byl16dxK9KWCUnhJRkU0bWY0Wl8tUThpT3lKT2dLc3YySThV

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byl16dxK9KWCSTNYeG5wRkNYREktYmFsazlrSUdSNUVZWmww

No way man! that thing is the cats pajamas!! :banana:

welcome to the boards :foryou:

I finally got my vintage comic book spinner rack yesterday. My friend had delivered it to me from U.S. on his way to Vancouver. I will take photos later when I find a good spot to put the rack there. :banana:

I did find a cool piece of history tucked behind one of the signs. Seems that the store owner had wrote the colour codes by weekly in order. You know the distributor sprayed a line on top of comic books to be sent to stores? That is what is seen on paper ... see the photo.

It may be faint to read but hey, it is almost 50 years by age!

IMG_0458_zps8smbgkfi.jpg

Glad I found this thread because I was surprised to see that the 1950s DC rack I bought on Craigslist was sold to me by Punkpez and a picture is linked six posts up.  Here's a pic of the DC rack:

6uLEfWZ2X7EDlSoXH6oKWYYig3RYkT0QRjNX-pfd

I also had never seen another 1965-1966 DC "checker" rack like mine until I saw the post by Comicdey up thread (page 6).  This is mine (paint is original):

_57.jpg

Someday I'll get a wooden Dell rack (they are findable, but I just haven't picked one up yet) as it is top of my list, but in the meantime I'm very very happy to have the very rare early 1960s wooden Gold Key rack:

s-l1600.jpg

I have a perfect condition 1970s/1980s spinner rack of the Richie Rich/Spidey/Archie/Superman "Read One Today" variety, but while cool, those are common.  

My newest pride and joy is really rare, this 1955 Comics Code Authority rack:

53172340_1_x_1.jpg

I also have a 1950s-1960s Signet paperback spinner rack that I truly love.  But have no pics handy.

WANTLIST: 

* Dell Wood Rack

* Dell Postage Stamp Rack

* Dell Spinner or Flat Rack (especially with circular top and images of characters)

* GK Spinner Rack (especially with circular top and images of characters)

* DC Wood Rack

* Marvel Rack

* Ziff-Davis Rack

* Message me if you have other racks to unload.  I am looking for my comic room.

I too have the Comics Code spinner.  I'll try to post a picture later.  Has a little rust here and there, but overall it is really solid.  I've had several of the "Hey Kids Comics" spinners and also the two column "companion" rack.  :cloud9:

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I too have the Comics Code spinner.  I'll try to post a picture later.  Has a little rust here and there, but overall it is really solid.  I've had several of the "Hey Kids Comics" spinners and also the two column "companion" rack.  :cloud9:

Look forward to seeing your CCA spinner!  I've seen an auction house claim that the one they were selling "might be the only one in existence," but I have seen pictures of at least one other in my style, and also pictures of two others in different styles (triangle and flat).

2 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Here is one of my spinner racks.  Man, I'll love these! 

IMG_1438.JPG

Great rack!  Is this a picture of yours?:

0383d58c63d90f17eda6999fc3dbcdc1.jpg

If not, then I've seen four of these:  The above, yours, mine, and Zaid has one (unless I bought his at auction). 

I've also seen this triangular version:

64a6a9f2b720fbac032d1e4a3980e54d.jpg

I thought I'd seen a flat non-spinner CCA rack, but now think I'm mistaken in that memory.

21 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Great rack!  Is this a picture of yours?:

0383d58c63d90f17eda6999fc3dbcdc1.jpg

If not, then I've seen four of these:  The above, yours, mine, and Zaid has one (unless I bought his at auction). 

I've also seen this triangular version:

64a6a9f2b720fbac032d1e4a3980e54d.jpg

I thought I'd seen a flat non-spinner CCA rack, but now think I'm mistaken in that memory.

This spinner rack has been on my WTB list for some time. You guys are lucky to own them! I have the "Hey Kids!" Spinner rack in my room, but want another rack to add. Thus my comment above.

I also like the DC comics label spinner rack as well. 

7 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Was there any signage?  Even if there was, they're seriously out of line.

Try the Garage sale/flea market thread, it's got signage there :) 

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Try the Garage sale/flea market thread, it's got signage there :) 

opps, yeah, extra pic in the garage sale thread