• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
8 8

517 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I've always found it sort of funny how a lot of people TRY to charge a premium for the spinner rack with Archie, Superman, Spider-Man and Richie Rich.  It's definitely the least rare in my opinion.

Tell me about that. This type of rack was the most common of all comic book spinner racks. Now I see people try to ask $450-600 for this style. 

You know what's funny, sometimes they get $400.  It's wild.  Now I've had the "Hey Kids Comics" 5 sided spinner and got great money for it.  Who knows what the CCA could get.  But yeah, the Superman and Richie Rich one, that's nuts.

I get that supply is high for those type of spinners but if you are looking for the one you remember from the 1970s, that is the one you want. I appreciate the ancient spinners/racks but they don't relate to the time I was first collecting. Not that I am personally in the market for a spinner rack. Still-- spending 400 bucks for that spinner is over priced. $150 seems about the right number for one in nice shape.

7 hours ago, shadroch said:

Just grabbed this for $110, including the books. There are 10 12 cent Marvels but in bad shape. A couple of nice BA books, including a MOKF 18.

The spinner is off, but is in the background.

https://mcmanusauctions.hibid.com/lot/32847952/vintage-metal-comics-merry-go-round-display-rack-w/?cpage=9&ref=catalog

Very nice! Mine is the same 5 sided variety only my base has 4 legs. I wonder if there is a version that came first or if it just a manufacturing choice between the flat round base and the 4 legged varieties?

On 6/25/2017 at 7:36 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

You know what's funny, sometimes they get $400.  It's wild.  Now I've had the "Hey Kids Comics" 5 sided spinner and got great money for it.  Who knows what the CCA could get.  But yeah, the Superman and Richie Rich one, that's nuts.

The market for the good comic racks is strong.  Skys the limit for the GA DC racks and DC wood rack as I've seen those hit has high as mid-four figures.  Marvel racks also reach four figures if you can find them.  Dell wood racks can hit $1000 based on condition.  Dell postage stamp rack and the circular top spinning rack as well.   Gold Key wooden and circular top spinner are also easily over $500 and can probably hit $1000.  Generic "Hey Kids" racks and the Richie Rich / Spidey / Archie / Superman" racks are probably most common and cheapest.

Problem with buying racks is that shipping is a pain.  So the market is often local.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

The market for the good comic racks is strong.  Skys the limit for the GA DC racks and DC wood rack as I've seen those hit has high as mid-four figures.  Marvel racks also reach four figures if you can find them.  Dell wood racks can hit $1000 based on condition.  Dell postage stamp rack and the circular top spinning rack as well.   Gold Key wooden and circular top spinner are also easily over $500 and can probably hit $1000.  Generic "Hey Kids" racks and the Richie Rich / Spidey / Archie / Superman" racks are probably most common and cheapest.

Problem with buying racks is that shipping is a pain.  So the market is often local.

I agree.  Shipping is a nightmare.  I had a buyer pay a super crazy amount to ship a "Hey Kids Comics" spinner and the companion two column piece.  Had to have UPS make a special crate.  If you want to know the amount, PM me.  It was nuts.  

This is my comic spinner now that it's  80% loaded with comic in Mylite2s and fullbacks. 

1st row is comics that I have original art from, most interior and 1 cover,  I have others and will likely rotate them out.

2nd row are comics signed, most personally (2 are DF signed) again I have others, some displayed on the wall including the Amazing 700 skyline I am  currently getting signatures on)

3rd row is some of my favorite read comics (this does not include books I have displayed elsewhere or that are only slabs like Killing Joke and Sandman 8)

4th row is cover dated July 1984. Books that were on the newsstand and spinner rack when I started collecting. Only had  2 on hand will get down to the LCS soon and fill this row up.

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2014 at 1:00 AM, catrick339 said:

I lust after BOTH of the Dell spinners, and I've seen pix of one that has a giant CCA logo (Pictured in the linked thread, I believe)

The Dell spinners are boss! They have the best graphics. Accept no substitutes!

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2014 at 1:00 AM, catrick339 said:

Spinners are just plain COOL.

I agree! I won't be happy though until they're back in every convenience, drug and candy store like they were when comics were a dime.

:preach:

Once correction of catrick, Dell spinners did NOT have CCA logos.  Dell was never part of the CCA.

I agree with Hepcat that Dell has some great graphics on their racks, but worth noting that Gold Key continued that tradition and also has some great graphics.  DC in the 60s also had some neat graphics.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 5/31/2015 at 6:39 PM, Robot Man said:

I'm guessing that the colors on both of our racks are correct. They are obviously two different sizes so it makes sense that they are slightly different colors. An interesting fact about mine. When I got it, it only had the top and middle blue bars. It did not appear that there was one missing at the bottom. I was at an antique show and spotted the loose blue piece at the bottom. It was cheap so I bought it and just popped it into place. Thought it looked better. You are probably missing at least one. No matter what, I have always loved mine and as you can see, put it to good use. I have another picture of it full of just Dell comics from the period. I change it up all the time!

dellcomicrack_zps75f0f72a.jpg

36 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

I also like the five or six(?) sided spinner racks more than I do the four sided ones. Which of the spinner racks have five or six sides?

???

I have a Richie Rich/Spidey/Archie/Superman rack with five sides.  I believe "Hey Kids" come in that format also.

32 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

dellcomicrack_zps75f0f72a.jpg

The Dell racks originally did not have a bottom sign.  Same for the wood DC and Gold Key racks that look like this.  There is a wood Classics illustrated rack that had a bottom sign. 

I have seen Dell racks in both blue and yellow lettering, and also a blue and pink lettering version.  I think that is original, as I've also seen a pink Dell spinner rack sign.