• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
8 8

517 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2017 at 4:39 PM, F For Fake said:

Thanks to Jimmers for pointing me to this thread! Picked this one up this morning at a garage sale. Has some condition issues but is overall pretty nice, and it's just for my personal collection anyway. Any thoughts on the era? The graphics make me think 80's?

Photo Jul 15, 3 51 57 PM.jpg

I also agree this is more likely early 90's. 

There is a flea market dealer near me who has a spinner rack with this same logo/design on the topper, but he wouldn't sell it to me. I wonder if this was the last mass produced spinner rack?

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

I also agree this is more likely early 90's. 

There is a flea market dealer near me who has a spinner rack with this same logo/design on the topper, but he wouldn't sell it to me. I wonder if this was the last mass produced spinner rack?

I think it was.  I can't confirm it, but I don't think there was anything after.

2 hours ago, Chalwa said:

Check this one on ebay now! All Flash Quarterly on the tag dates it to  perhaps as early as the mid-40s!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-DC-Comic-Display-Rack-not-spinner-Free-Shipping-/122659709448?hash=item1c8f16a208:g:xwMAAOSwZElZmhVA

That is awesome.  I'm considering it.  Wish it had more of the tags, but then it would be more.  

On 9/6/2017 at 10:36 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Awesome racks, especially the two column.  I've bought and sold a few of these.  They seem to be a little harder to find than the spinners.  

Thank you I found the two column local a while back, spinner took a while.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:14 PM, The Kaptain said:

I picked this spinner rack up recently. I'm very happy with it as it was a bargain, but it's missing the stand.

Are there any modern easy to find spinners that have a stand that will work with this?

Or maybe I can make a stand?  Does anyone have this rack and know the dimensions of the stand?

Thanks.

comic rack.jpg

I have the 4-sided version of this. I would hazard to guess that the 5-sided version used the same base & spinner post. When I get home later, I can pull mine apart & measure the base & the post. It shouldn't be terribly difficult to fabricate it for the most part. The biggest issue you're going to have is the 2 flat pieces with the ball bearing ring sandwiched between them that the rack portion sits on. I'll try to get some photos & measurements for you.

11 hours ago, Doktor said:

I have the 4-sided version of this. I would hazard to guess that the 5-sided version used the same base & spinner post. When I get home later, I can pull mine apart & measure the base & the post. It shouldn't be terribly difficult to fabricate it for the most part. The biggest issue you're going to have is the 2 flat pieces with the ball bearing ring sandwiched between them that the rack portion sits on. I'll try to get some photos & measurements for you.

My rack doesn't have this and I have tried to get something that will work. I had a board member offer to send me one but it never happened. :(

I have wondered if one of these would work:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-4-6-Inch-Square-Lazy-Susan-Turntable-Bearing-for-Turntable-TV-Rack-Desk/232278589901?hash=item3614e201cd:m:mjBXh3AzDTMjEcBVR7WXKlw

The smallest one is 3 inches wide. All I need to know is the diameter of the center hole, to allow the comic rack base pole part to go through.

***edit. So the interior diameter is 1 and a quarter inches. The post of my comic rack is 1 inch so it fits inside the bearing. I managed to find one of these bearings at the local Home Depot for $4.00 so I bought it and gave it a try.

Works great! My Spinner spins again! :cloud9:

Edited by Artboy99

Any of you spinner rack collector types have an idea what the going rate is for a 60's/70's white 5-sided Hey Kids, Comics! rack is these days? We've been looking at some online for Christmas and the prices seem pretty steep compared to what I was expecting, but it's been several years since I last was in the market for a spinner rack. 

6 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Any of you spinner rack collector types have an idea what the going rate is for a 60's/70's white 5-sided Hey Kids, Comics! rack is these days? We've been looking at some online for Christmas and the prices seem pretty steep compared to what I was expecting, but it's been several years since I last was in the market for a spinner rack. 

any where from $50 to $400 is what I have seen them priced at.

I paid $200 for mine

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I second this.  It really just depends on who is selling it.  I've sold several of the Hey Kids spinners in the $300-$500 area, so it isn't way out of the realm of possibility.

I should mention I paid $200 for mine 5 years ago, so $300-$500 isn't unrealistic.

imageproxy.jpg

Clob Booth A.JPG

Clob Spinners.JPG

Edited by Artboy99
Bought it 5 years ago not 7

9 minutes ago, StevieRay58 said:

Just found this thread by searching Comic Spinner Racks on Google. A lot of fun racks! 

I finally found my rack at a local business that repaired and sold pinball machines. No real expectations of finding one there but sometimes things just work out. 

It was in very good condition and I think was in service during the 90s, maybe. Needless to say but I was very happy to find and get it set up! 

I’ve seen these graphics on the non spinners too. 

Awesome that it worked out! Right place, right time :) Oh and Welcome to the boards!

noticed this Dell one on ebay -- it is pickup only and in Centralia, Illinois but maybe it works for someone looking for this.... more pictures in their listing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Silver-Age-Dell-Comics-Comic-Book-Wooden-Store-Display-Sign-PICK-UP-ONLY/362174358572?hash=item545346242c:g:RtoAAOSwZQRYdX-T

image.png.3782a569cbba6dc8dab111f81b7802d6.png