Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
12 12

372 posts in this topic

1 post

I picked up this baby from a pharmacy that was closing when I was 10. I've repainted it as the original paint was peeling (maybe had lead?) but still looks pretty nice in blue. I've searched around online and haven't seen one like this before. Anyone know anything about this rack? Vintage or otherwise?

I don't have a webserver handy so here's some Google doc links with pics

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byl16dxK9KWCUnhJRkU0bWY0Wl8tUThpT3lKT2dLc3YySThV

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byl16dxK9KWCSTNYeG5wRkNYREktYmFsazlrSUdSNUVZWmww

1,344 posts
I picked up this baby from a pharmacy that was closing when I was 10. I've repainted it as the original paint was peeling (maybe had lead?) but still looks pretty nice in blue. I've searched around online and haven't seen one like this before. Anyone know anything about this rack? Vintage or otherwise?

I don't have a webserver handy so here's some Google doc links with pics

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byl16dxK9KWCUnhJRkU0bWY0Wl8tUThpT3lKT2dLc3YySThV

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byl16dxK9KWCSTNYeG5wRkNYREktYmFsazlrSUdSNUVZWmww

No way man! that thing is the cats pajamas!! :banana:

welcome to the boards :foryou:

3,879 posts

I finally got my vintage comic book spinner rack yesterday. My friend had delivered it to me from U.S. on his way to Vancouver. I will take photos later when I find a good spot to put the rack there. :banana:

I did find a cool piece of history tucked behind one of the signs. Seems that the store owner had wrote the colour codes by weekly in order. You know the distributor sprayed a line on top of comic books to be sent to stores? That is what is seen on paper ... see the photo.

It may be faint to read but hey, it is almost 50 years by age!

IMG_0458_zps8smbgkfi.jpg

562 posts

I picked up this spinner rack on Saturday morning. It only cost me $15.

949fa508a6a20905703771a030f6a574.jpg

349 posts

Got this today from from my wonderful wife, been wanting one for years. Four row of 10 slots. 4 categories will be: signed, books which I have original art, June 1984 cover date and personal favorites 

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

Edited by Ducky13

3,499 posts

Glad I found this thread because I was surprised to see that the 1950s DC rack I bought on Craigslist was sold to me by Punkpez and a picture is linked six posts up.  Here's a pic of the DC rack:

6uLEfWZ2X7EDlSoXH6oKWYYig3RYkT0QRjNX-pfd

I also had never seen another 1965-1966 DC "checker" rack like mine until I saw the post by Comicdey up thread (page 6).  This is mine (paint is original):

_57.jpg

Someday I'll get a wooden Dell rack (they are findable, but I just haven't picked one up yet) as it is top of my list, but in the meantime I'm very very happy to have the very rare early 1960s wooden Gold Key rack:

s-l1600.jpg

I have a perfect condition 1970s/1980s spinner rack of the Richie Rich/Spidey/Archie/Superman "Read One Today" variety, but while cool, those are common.  

My newest pride and joy is really rare, this 1955 Comics Code Authority rack:

53172340_1_x_1.jpg

I also have a 1950s-1960s Signet paperback spinner rack that I truly love.  But have no pics handy.

WANTLIST: 

* Dell Wood Rack

* Dell Postage Stamp Rack

* Dell Spinner or Flat Rack (especially with circular top and images of characters)

* GK Spinner Rack (especially with circular top and images of characters)

* DC Wood Rack

* Marvel Rack

* Ziff-Davis Rack

* Message me if you have other racks to unload.  I am looking for my comic room.

1,293 posts

I too have the Comics Code spinner.  I'll try to post a picture later.  Has a little rust here and there, but overall it is really solid.  I've had several of the "Hey Kids Comics" spinners and also the two column "companion" rack.  :cloud9:

3,499 posts
1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I too have the Comics Code spinner.  I'll try to post a picture later.  Has a little rust here and there, but overall it is really solid.  I've had several of the "Hey Kids Comics" spinners and also the two column "companion" rack.  :cloud9:

Look forward to seeing your CCA spinner!  I've seen an auction house claim that the one they were selling "might be the only one in existence," but I have seen pictures of at least one other in my style, and also pictures of two others in different styles (triangle and flat).

14,042 posts
2 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Here is one of my spinner racks.  Man, I'll love these! 

IMG_1438.JPG

Love it. Thanks for sharing

3,499 posts
2 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Here is one of my spinner racks.  Man, I'll love these! 

IMG_1438.JPG

Great rack!  Is this a picture of yours?:

0383d58c63d90f17eda6999fc3dbcdc1.jpg

If not, then I've seen four of these:  The above, yours, mine, and Zaid has one (unless I bought his at auction). 

I've also seen this triangular version:

64a6a9f2b720fbac032d1e4a3980e54d.jpg

I thought I'd seen a flat non-spinner CCA rack, but now think I'm mistaken in that memory.

1,293 posts

Wow.  I knew Mr. Zaid had one as I had emailed him awhile back and discussed that I had one too.  The one that's outside is not mine.  It's definitely rare, I know that.  Value wise? Who knows?

3,879 posts
21 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Great rack!  Is this a picture of yours?:

0383d58c63d90f17eda6999fc3dbcdc1.jpg

If not, then I've seen four of these:  The above, yours, mine, and Zaid has one (unless I bought his at auction). 

I've also seen this triangular version:

64a6a9f2b720fbac032d1e4a3980e54d.jpg

I thought I'd seen a flat non-spinner CCA rack, but now think I'm mistaken in that memory.

This spinner rack has been on my WTB list for some time. You guys are lucky to own them! I have the "Hey Kids!" Spinner rack in my room, but want another rack to add. Thus my comment above.

I also like the DC comics label spinner rack as well. 

1,293 posts

I've always found it sort of funny how a lot of people TRY to charge a premium for the spinner rack with Archie, Superman, Spider-Man and Richie Rich.  It's definitely the least rare in my opinion.

12,189 posts

did not buy this, price was $750 at an estate sale

DDGcgdLUIAE_Zan.jpg

1,293 posts

Was there any signage?  Even if there was, they're seriously out of line.

8,584 posts
7 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Was there any signage?  Even if there was, they're seriously out of line.

Try the Garage sale/flea market thread, it's got signage there :) 

12,189 posts
3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Try the Garage sale/flea market thread, it's got signage there :) 

opps, yeah, extra pic in the garage sale thread

4,648 posts

My CCA rack :grin:

spinrack.jpg