• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book spinner racks - who's got one?
8 8

517 posts in this topic

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2014 at 6:20 PM, Quicksilver Signs said:

Thought I'd post a pic of my spinner rack. It's a Dell ... from the 50's!

bfo0vc.jpg

Does that Dell have six sides/columns of comic pockets?

???

1 hour ago, Hepcat said:

I also like the five or six(?) sided spinner racks more than I do the four sided ones. Which of the spinner racks have five or six sides?

???

Mine has 5 sides x 10 pockets per side, it is the "Best in Comics / Hey Kids!" version from the 70's.

imageproxy.jpg

Planet Spinner'.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

50 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The Dell racks originally did not have a bottom sign.  Same for the wood DC and Gold Key racks that look like this.  There is a wood Classics illustrated rack that had a bottom sign. 

I have seen Dell racks in both blue and yellow lettering, and also a blue and pink lettering version.  I think that is original, as I've also seen a pink Dell spinner rack sign.

I don't have a more current picture of it but I was at an antique show and spotted some one who had a loose top blue advertising piece. I bought it and just popped it into place at the bottom of this rack. Even though it didn't come this way, it looks a lot better. And what are the odds of finding the extra piece?

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

I think some of those "Hey Kids" comic racks easily date back to the 60s, and based on one that Zaid posted about, may even date back to the 50s.

Mine holds golden age books, and in some pockets it even holds slabs. I wonder if there is a way to determine the age of the spinner?

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I don't have a more current picture of it but I was at an antique show and spotted some one who had a loose top blue advertising piece. I bought it and just popped it into place at the bottom of this rack. Even though it didn't come this way, it looks a lot better. And what are the odds of finding the extra piece?

Robot Man,

You posted a pic of your very nice looking rack with the bottom piece in place over on the GA forums once.  I remember it well.  I might be able to track it down. 

There's a thread over there on GA racks, and I've been waiting for you to notice it.  I had to track down one of your pictures (not of the Dell rack) to post in it.

28 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Mine holds golden age books, and in some pockets it even holds slabs. I wonder if there is a way to determine the age of the spinner?

Probably not as they seem to have been in production for quite some time.  But, I am confident it would be accurate to say the spinner style dates back to the 60s and maybe even 50s.

14 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Same thing with my rack, Artboy99. We both have the same type. I can fit SA or GA books in pockets there. Just that mine also has the extra top rack for pocket paperbacks (like Peanuts, MAD or humor). I suspect that it dates back to late 1960s to early 1970s.

On 2017-06-26 at 11:52 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I agree.  Shipping is a nightmare.  I had a buyer pay a super crazy amount to ship a "Hey Kids Comics" spinner and the companion two column piece.  Had to have UPS make a special crate.  If you want to know the amount, PM me.  It was nuts.  

I also agree. Shipping is nuts on spinner racks. I had mine delivered to here in B.C. by a friend of friend in his truck. I had my rack delivered to his place in WA state and wait for when he got a trip to visit a friend of mine here. I ended up paid close to $250 Canadian to get my rack! 

Had it been delivered by UPS crooks or Fed Ex or any courier from U.S. to my home address ... it would be over $350-400 (after customs duty fees sucking $$ out my wallet). Yes, I had them quoted to me when I made inquiries. 

But I love my spinner rack :x

33 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Same thing with my rack, Artboy99. We both have the same type. I can fit SA or GA books in pockets there. Just that mine also has the extra top rack for pocket paperbacks (like Peanuts, MAD or humor). I suspect that it dates back to late 1960s to early 1970s.

I agree.  From the small amount of research I've done, I think the "Hey Kids" racks are 1960s.  I think my CCA spinner is 1955 or 1956.  I'm not really sure.  

Just wondering, is there any place where one can buy a reproduction of these spinners?  Although it wouldn't be original, I still love the nostalgia associated with these racks.

34 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

Just wondering, is there any place where one can buy a reproduction of these spinners?  Although it wouldn't be original, I still love the nostalgia associated with these racks.

No.  But if you hunt, you can find original racks that are affordable.

8 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

I also agree. Shipping is nuts on spinner racks. I had mine delivered to here in B.C. by a friend of friend in his truck. I had my rack delivered to his place in WA state and wait for when he got a trip to visit a friend of mine here. I ended up paid close to $250 Canadian to get my rack! 

Had it been delivered by UPS crooks or Fed Ex or any courier from U.S. to my home address ... it would be over $350-400 (after customs duty fees sucking $$ out my wallet). Yes, I had them quoted to me when I made inquiries. 

But I love my spinner rack :x

I have purchased 2 spinner racks and 1 stand-up rack and all 3 were purchased here in the province of Alberta. I have found spinners I have wanted to buy but the shipping is so expensive I have passed on the purchase.

The 2 spinners I did buy were both purchased out of Calgary, and both were from comic shops. The one I kept was the older of the 2 but it doesn't spin as well as the newer one did. I sold the newer one to a fellow boardie here in Edmonton.

I waited for a long time for both spinners to arrive. 1 was picked up at the Calgary comic store by a friend and I waited until he brought it with him to Edmonton and we met to transfer to my vehicle. It was months. The other, the local comic shop owner brought it to Edmonton when he was attending an event here, but I waited months for that one as well.

Shipping from Calgary to Edmonton ( a 3 hour drive ) was astronomical ( 100's of dollars! ) and it is easily double from the United States. It is the oddball shape and size.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

I have purchased 2 spinner racks and 1 stand-up rack and all 3 were purchased here in the province of Alberta. I have found spinners I have wanted to buy but the shipping is so expensive I have passed on the purchase.

The 2 spinners I did buy were both purchased out of Calgary, and both were from comic shops. The one I kept was the older of the 2 but it doesn't spin as well as the newer one did. I sold the newer one to a fellow boardie here in Edmonton.

I waited for a long time for both spinners to arrive. 1 was picked up at the Calgary comic store by a friend and I waited until he brought it with him to Edmonton and we met to transfer to my vehicle. It was months. The other, the local comic shop owner brought it to Edmonton when he was attending an event here, but I waited months for that one as well.

Shipping from Calgary to Edmonton ( a 3 hour drive ) was astronomical ( 100's of dollars! ) and it is easily double from the United States. It is the oddball shape and size.

But it looks like it was worth it!

1 hour ago, piper said:

But it looks like it was worth it!

I wish I could figure out a way to make my spinner spin better but for an economical investment. I have looked into a bearing system but what I can find locally is a hundred dollars.

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

You have me beaten, you found all 3 in Alberta! Mine come from Indiana state, traveling to Washington state then to B.C. Took me nearly 6 months to get that into my hands. 

I tell you, if I do find another one. I will do all the way again. If it is a DC label or CCA rack! :sumo:

3 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

You have me beaten, you found all 3 in Alberta! Mine come from Indiana state, traveling to Washington state then to B.C. Took me nearly 6 months to get that into my hands. 

I tell you, if I do find another one. I will do all the way again. If it is a DC label or CCA rack! :sumo:

I found my stand alone rack at a local comic show from another seller. He had it in his booth using it to showcase books. It caught my eye, he asked what book has caught my eye, I said the rack.

We negotiated a price, he said he wouldn't let it go for less than $500.00 in trade. I said SOLD!

He came to my booth and was starting to look at my wall books, I directed his attention to a long box I had on my table that I had a sign on of $2-$5 each. It was a bunch of books that are worth $5 max in guide that had been to many shows that I couldn't sell and I told him I would give him the entire box. It is a case of "know your customer", the guy is always looking for deals, and he at the time didn't have a job. His job was going door to door selling comics. I knew he would see the value of the junk and would probably take it. He browsed the box, told me the box was worth more than $500, are you sure? I said yes. Done deal.

I feel like the rack cost me nothing, and it is in beautiful shape. :cloud9:

020.JPG

021.JPG