• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well, you see, there is another guy interested...

31 posts in this topic

Looks like I'm running into one of those situations

Trying to buy some art, the guy with it is like

" well someone else is interested, let's see where it goes"

I always feel very uncomfortable with this situation, obviously you wonder if there is another guy...

Any tips for handling these?????

How far along did you get in the negotiation for the purchase?

Did the piece just come up for sale?

The reason I ask this is if the piece just got listed for sale, there is no reason to doubt someone else may be interested. If the page has been on CAF six months and the week you ask about someone else asks about it, that would be odd.

How to handle the situation? Ask the seller what his asking price is and pay or dont pay.

Are you willing to walk away from this piece?

Looks like I'm running into one of those situations

Trying to buy some art, the guy with it is like

" well someone else is interested, let's see where it goes"

I always feel very uncomfortable with this situation, obviously you wonder if there is another guy...

Any tips for handling these?????

I think you're going to need a "Yes" or "No" from the seller.

Don't let your offer be played off of another.

A simple "Here's my offer, it's good til tomorrow" should work.

Thanks,

No its a piece in a private collection, the 'other' person has purchased similar pieces from him before and now is asking about more.

I'm doing some stretched and getting ready to grab the old ankles once again...

I think one just decides if its a game one wants to play..there is always another piece and I know the range I am willing to pay, so I am happy to back out. Lots of good art around it seems.

Ask a price and if its what you want to pay then buy it. Let him know you won't be haggling along in a bidding war. If he wants to sell then he won't try the game if he knows hell lose you.

Getting a whole truck load of ..how much would you pay... :facepalm:

I was in the exact same situation for a piece. A price was given to me and then jumped up by 30% because of the other offer. I ended up pulling out the lube so it wouldn't hurt so much and paid the price. Really comes down to how bad you want the piece.

Good luck with deciding, in my case zero regrets.

Sometimes "the other guy" is a bluff. Sometimes "the other guy" is real and you're being pitted against each other (don't blame "the other guy" even if they came in late waving money, as the seller should have integrity to stick to any agreements)

If there's been no agreements or you were haggling making lower offers than asking price, it's an open free market.

If you've made a deal but had not come up with the cash, and never dealt with the seller before (as the saying goes, the deal isn't a deal 'til the cash is in hand), then maybe he/she is worried about non-payment so continued to consider it in a "pending sale" status and takes the 1st offer backed with payment.

If it's a "how much are you willing to pay?" you might want to stick with your original offer if they agreed about it and if they're looking for more, just post the piece on the boards with what your offer price was so the other buyer doesn't get ripped off and it's out in the open. If you really care about the piece (and/or a relationship with the seller), then don't put it out in the open and make an offer so you don't lose the piece. Just the phrase or idea of a seller asking you "how much are you wiling to pay?" to me a a huge turn-off to the point no piece is worth dealing with that type of shady devil. I'd just pass on it, let it be known what the initial selling price was and blow his/her cover so they don't try creating imaginary bidding wars.

so here is the deal, there are potentially 4 covers I would like - truely would be happy with any of them, so I just sent in here is what I would pay for these

I figure the other man is not likely to want or pay for 4 covers or he already would, so likely (hopefully) I will get at least 1 (maybe 2!)

I guess my take on this is a little different from the rest. I have seen it all in regards to negotiations... and I mean 'all'. Nothing suprises me anymore, but honestly, not much offends me either... at least from collectors. I just know in my head what I am willing to pay for a piece and it all boils down to that. Collectors are fickle so I try to move fast, but in the end $ talks. If you are willing to pay more than the next guy, you are in a pretty good position. If someone else wants to pay more, then not so much. If the collector wants to set a price with the use of shills, friends, phantoms or the like, it still all boils down to how much I want the piece and the final number in my head. I have bought from transparently dishonest folks and I have walked away from the most upstanding sellers....simply because the numbers either added up or they didn't.

I guess my take on this is a little different from the rest. I have seen it all in regards to negotiations... and I mean 'all'. Nothing suprises me anymore, but honestly, not much offends me either... at least from collectors. I just know in my head what I am willing to pay for a piece and it all boils down to that. Collectors are fickle so I try to move fast, but in the end $ talks. If you are willing to pay more than the next guy, you are in a pretty good position. If someone else wants to pay more, then not so much. If the collector wants to set a price with the use of shills, friends, phantoms or the like, it still all boils down to how much I want the piece and the final number in my head. I have bought from transparently dishonest folks and I have walked away from the most upstanding sellers....simply because the numbers either added up or they didn't.

More and more, what was once generally affordable to most folks has rapidily given way to who can afford to pay for.

Collecting decent OA pieces will soon become the wealthy man's hobby

More and more, what was once generally affordable to most folks has rapidily given way to who can afford to pay for.

The sad truth is that the more people that desire an item or class of items the higher and higher the price will climb. It is simple economics. Combine that with the increasing popularity of comics in the pop culture, the prime earning years of people that came of age in the 60's 70's and 80s and the underwhelming selections of other places to put free cash and this is what happens. If you could still buy florida ocean front homes for 200k then I would have to think a lot harder about sinking so much money into comic art. As it is if I am earning barely any return in traditional investments and like looking at pretty pictures on my wall, comic art isn't a bad place to be.

umm...how about right now???

come to think of it I used ot be wealthy, but the more art I buy, the less I am :ohnoez: