• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Kane - Fake or Real?

36 posts in this topic

I know I have a similar discussion going on in OA, but I was curious to get everyones opinion on this topic. These 2 sketches by Bob Kane in his Batman and Me book, real or fake and if fake, why and who is the supposed ghost artist?

The sketches look too good too be true and are some of the best I have seen by him.

964431.jpg

batman+-+kane.jpg

batmanme972drawing.jpg

joker-kane.jpg

batmanme48joker.jpg

There's a distinction to be made as to whether drawings are fake Kane or whether Kane actually drew the artwork that he signed.

In this particular case, looking at the 2 pictures, fake authorized Kane or legit hand drawn by Kane. There will never be a certainty, unless a ghost artist comes forward and states otherwise, but there must be a way to make an educated guess.

I don't think there's any reason to assume there was a ghost artist. Either it's a legit S&S Bob Kane book or it's a forgery. I don't think forgery is terribly likely, but possible. You'd think with something that valuable (I assume Bob Kane OA is valuable?) you could get an art expert to authenticate it. Don't they have real fine art authenticated all the time? Probably not as cheap as simply having the sketch witnessed, but I imagine possible. If people who spend seven figures on Picasso's trust their verification method, why isn't it good enough for funnybook art?

I gave up on Kane-as far as I'm concerned his original art is worthless-there's just no way to tell if it's him or not. He is one of those artists that draws kinda sloppy any way so authentication is impossible. The sig is easy to fake-I just stay well clear of anything Bob Kane. Those sketches look way too detailed than the ones I've seen that are definitely Kane. Typical 'Kane' drawings look rather more amateur eg: http://trishautographs.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/GroupingBatman.jpg

I don't think there's any reason to assume there was a ghost artist. Either it's a legit S&S Bob Kane book or it's a forgery. I don't think forgery is terribly likely, but possible. You'd think with something that valuable (I assume Bob Kane OA is valuable?) you could get an art expert to authenticate it. Don't they have real fine art authenticated all the time? Probably not as cheap as simply having the sketch witnessed, but I imagine possible. If people who spend seven figures on Picasso's trust their verification method, why isn't it good enough for funnybook art?

Actually there is plenty of reason....

Actually there is plenty of reason....

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie.

I remember when these books came out and seeing that Kane had drawn Batman in one edition got me on board right away. I pre-ordered and was ecstatic when I got mine in the mail! It was 1989-1990 as I recall and even as a young, naive, pre-internet collector I was fully aware of Kane's reputation and thought this was the most definite way to get a real Bob Kane sketch. These books have been my reference point for years.

Then I read an article suggesting that even these may be ghosted. I was appalled. Bob Kane is certainly one of the biggest low-lifes in the history of the business but to think that he might not have even had the integrity to sketch his own autobiography infuriated me. I've just spent awhile looking for this article, finding nothing, so it may have just been a loose accusation. Only Tom Andrae and the ghost artist are likely to know for certain.

I ordered a copy of the Joker edition as well but the LCS I ordered from went out of business prior to getting it in. I would still take a copy if I found one.

I got this sketch from a painter named Mark who painted Kane's residence back in the day. The sketch is personalized to the owner of the painting company. I'm pretty sure it's authentic.

IMG_0561.jpg

My first reaction was that the signatures may be possibly legit but I don't recall his artwork looking like that for Batman or Joker. I would probably stay away.

The only way to be sure is to study a lot of similar signatures and in this case also pictures of Batman/Joker from him.

My first reaction was that the signatures may be possibly legit but I don't recall his artwork looking like that for Batman or Joker. I would probably stay away.

The only way to be sure is to study a lot of similar signatures and in this case also pictures of Batman/Joker from him.

Are you referring to his published artwork? Because it is not likely that anything past the first few appearances were by him.

Are you referring to his published artwork? Because it is not likely that anything past the first few appearances were by him.

It also helps to know the details of what he has signed and sketched and if you know these details about his life it is better to assess what's real or secretarial. I have seen signed sketches (not from a book) from him from a reputable dealer on occasion and the signature only looks plausible from what I remember but I would look at many others first.