• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Issue Resolved

724 posts in this topic

Im not sure how confident I can be in CGC graded books anymore. I resubbed 2 books for walkthrough grading, and got results today.

Both books were Universal Blue labels

Journey into Mystery CGC 6.0 - book was killer, and I thought it was much better. Came back a 7.0

Avengers 1 CGC 7.0 - book looked nice, but once it was cracked, regret set in as it was not as nice as the assigned grade. Came back a 6.0

Both books came back RESTORED.

How does that happen?? The Avengers has CT, and the JIM is top cover trimmed!!

That is unacceptable. If its in a slab as unrestored, regardless of when its graded, we as buyers, or collectors should feel confident that the book is unrestored.

I called and asked them to please look them over again. They said they would, but they obviously didn't because they were marked "shipped" within 1/2 hr or so

Im not sure how confident I can be in CGC graded books anymore. I resubbed 2 books for walkthrough grading, and got results today.

Both books were Universal Blue labels

Journey into Mystery CGC 6.0 - book was killer, and I thought it was much better. Came back a 7.0

Avengers 1 CGC 7.0 - book looked nice, but once it was cracked, regret set in as it was not as nice as the assigned grade. Came back a 6.0

Both books came back RESTORED.

How does that happen?? The Avengers has CT, and the JIM is top cover trimmed!!

That is unacceptable. If its in a slab as unrestored, regardless of when its graded, we as buyers, or collectors should feel confident that the book is unrestored.

I called and asked them to please look them over again. They said they would, but they obviously didn't because they were marked "shipped" within 1/2 hr or so

Wow, ouch. Were they both in old labels? Before they had restoration detection down? In any case that really hurts.

The CGC should have some measure of responsibility if they previously graded a book as universal and upon resubmission it comes back as restored.

However, one would have a hard time proving that they weren't restored after they were cracked out. Even sending the books to the CGC in their respective holders wouldn't do much good as they would probably resort to a "prove it" mentality.

You take your chances when you re-sub.

Seriously?

Yes.

It rarely happens but it does happen. It's happened to me.

Once the book is cracked out of the holder there is no way of proving what was done to the books after they were cracked out.

They're not perfect. They catch 99%+ of all the resto, which is far better than the way it was when there was no CGC, but nobody is perfect.

Is it possible that both books were purple labels that had the labels switched with universal labels?

Did you buy them both from the same person? Was the person reputable?

The trimmed book is especially disturbing.

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did you submit the books originally, if so when was that submission, if not I wonder if the serial numbers would assist in determining their encapsulation date?

Anyway and this is only my opinion mind you, but ....... When Borock and Haspel left I believe CGC took a large hit in the resto detection area. Now I understand that Haspel is back but I do not believe in a full time capacity. I'm also not. Sure what Matt Nelson's scope of work includes.

Anyway I could totally see a scenario where Mark and Steve are gone, books go in and get a Blue. You resubmit and Haspel has a look and poof finds the resto. Detecting restoration especially a good trim is not always easy and these skill sets take years to develop, so CGC as any other company will have personnel peaks and valleys. Problem of course is that consumer confidence is a large pillar of their business and the resto check is a important feature of that pillar.