• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Issue Resolved

724 posts in this topic

Ah, the more or less argument.

Lets not forget tiny to large amount of color touch the book is still RESTORED.

Amateur or Professional it is still RESTORED.

Slight/moderate/Extensive it is still RESTORED.

If the market decides that restored sell for less than so be it.

If more educated buyers step up to buy slight professional color touched books for more than current market than the price differential will shrink.

For the record I don't own a single book with any restoration. What I am saying is there should be a lot more consideration for how much and by whom the work was done. There isn't much discrepancy, if any, between a professional doing slight color touch and some knuckle dragger drawing on the cover with colored markers. That's a far cry from other collectibles like guns, antique furniture, musical instruments and even literary books.

Or do you.........? hm

Ah, the more or less argument.

Lets not forget tiny to large amount of color touch the book is still RESTORED.

Amateur or Professional it is still RESTORED.

Slight/moderate/Extensive it is still RESTORED.

If the market decides that restored sell for less than so be it.

If more educated buyers step up to buy slight professional color touched books for more than current market than the price differential will shrink.

For the record I don't own a single book with any restoration. What I am saying is there should be a lot more consideration for how much and by whom the work was done. There isn't much discrepancy, if any, between a professional doing slight color touch and some knuckle dragger drawing on the cover with colored markers. That's a far cry from other collectibles like guns, antique furniture, musical instruments and even literary books.

Or do you.........? hm

lol

I don't like this thread.

Only not as much as I don't like the one in the selling forum.... :(

The posts here that express their expectation CGC be 100% perfect with their restoration and trimming detection are missing the point that CGC is not now, has never been, and has never claimed to be perfect in these regards.. They have stated clearly that while they believe they do an outstanding job with detecting restoration and trimming (and I have no reason to doubt this), they are fallible and sometimes err.

Once that concept is understood, it is also easy to understand that every resubmission comes with the small risk that not only the grade but also the label color may change upon re-grading.

+1. Stinks when it happens but it happens.

Sorry guys, but in the real world (i.e. not in fanboyland), businesses are expected to make up for their errors. Make good with the customer. At least the ones who want to survive.

If CGC were a different type of company operating in a different market fulfilling the perceived needs of a different customer base, they would be expect to fix the situation. And making Dan pay again is not fixing the problem.

Oh yeah, like Microsoft and various other big companies do that all the time :insane:

The posts here that express their expectation CGC be 100% perfect with their restoration and trimming detection are missing the point that CGC is not now, has never been, and has never claimed to be perfect in these regards.. They have stated clearly that while they believe they do an outstanding job with detecting restoration and trimming (and I have no reason to doubt this), they are fallible and sometimes err.

Once that concept is understood, it is also easy to understand that every resubmission comes with the small risk that not only the grade but also the label color may change upon re-grading.

Sorry guys, but in the real world (i.e. not in fanboyland), businesses are expected to make up for their errors. Make good with the customer. At least the ones who want to survive.

If CGC were a different type of company operating in a different market fulfilling the perceived needs of a different customer base, they would be expect to fix the situation. And making Dan pay again is not fixing the problem.

Oh yeah, like Microsoft and various other big companies do that all the time :insane:

They should should have sent me free Win 7 for buying that crappy Vista.

And what about the unrestored books that are would now be color touched if the wide price difference narrowed?

The difference in price is to discourage restoration, not encourage it.

And before you uneducated go off I'm not against conservation type restoration.

That gap is the markets determination, and the idea that restoration could ever be close to parity or even half the value is a non-starter. If restored books are seen moving at a slightly higher 15-20% of unrestored value, it's because of the enterprising activities of resto removal. The major hurdle to making that a hard line percentage improvement rather than a variable one are the thriving markets where pressing and tweaks to blue for grade bumps occur.

The only possible hypothetical scenario for a closing gap between blue and purple is if the certified market collapses, because at that point the premiums books currently enjoy in a slab will contract, and I don't see the value of books sitting in a purple slab being effected nearly as much as blue label books.

Looking at my high grade/high value comics and hoping none of them are restored. :wishluck:

My hope that this type of thing doesn't happen as much as it is being suggested in this thread.

This will definitely affect any thoughts I might have had about resubmitting any books hoping to get a higher grade. The risk of getting a restored label on something I paid thousands of dollars for is too high.

That said, what happens when you get a comic reholdered? Say you have a comic that has been in a CGC holder for 10 years and you just want to get it reholdered because the old one is scratched and has bad eye appeal. Will CGC just reholder the comic with same grade or will they re-grade the comic and possibly give it a less grade or say it is restored?

From Services & Fees on CGC website:

* Reholder service is for chipped, scratched or cracked holders that have not been opened or had their seals broken. We will place your magazine in a new holder. NOTE: All Reholder submissions are subject to review for tampering and accuracy of grade. Mail-in submissions only.

I understand that Mark is being retained in the capacity of PR

That might be the funniest thing I've read on these boards in a long time lol

Below is what I could find on Marks participation on the puddling, universal label coming back as PLOD labels and the Cole Shave book threads. Enjoy the read.

And I quote;

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".

I understand that Mark is being retained in the capacity of PR

That might be the funniest thing I've read on these boards in a long time lol

Below is what I could find on Marks participation on the puddling, universal label coming back as PLOD labels and the Cole Shave book threads. Enjoy the read.

And I quote;

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".

That's roughly about 300 characters more than I could find :)

Just wanted to let everyone know, that both books were re-checked today, and both were restored. They were checked and checked again

While it doesn't say much for the grading a few years ago, it at least gives me confidence in the grading consistency today.

Harshen called me personally to give me the bad news. After a nice conversation, and many apologies, we came to a reasonable resolution.

Im not going to go into details, but I will say Harshen went above and beyond to take care of this.

It doesn't change the fact that there are books out there in blue labels that could have resto on them, but I feel much better about CGC's customer service

Just wanted to let everyone know, that both books were re-checked today, and both were restored. They were checked and checked again

While it doesn't say much for the grading a few years ago, it at least gives me confidence in the grading consistency today.

Harshen called me personally to give me the bad news. After a nice conversation, and many apologies, we came to a reasonable resolution.

Im not going to go into details, but I will say Harshen went above and beyond to take care of this.

It doesn't change the fact that there are books out there in blue labels that could have resto on them, but I feel much better about CGC's customer service

That's what I like to hear. Enjoy your books just the same.

So what was CGC supposed to do? Granted a mistake was made when the books were originally graded with blue labels but they should not be liable for doing their job.

Sorry to hear the news... Glad you were made somewhat whole. (thumbs u