• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TALES OF SUSPENSE #39 CLUB
12 12

536 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dave2739 said:

This is the same copy I've posted before but I finally got it graded. I bought this from an ad in the back of CBG around 1993-94 for around $200.

TOS39.JPG

Pretty good return on investment! It looks like a nice presenting mid grade copy. ?

I've read on here before and couldn't agree more that the Marvel cinematic universe is using Iron Man (Tony Stark) as it's centerpiece and it seems they will continue to do so for some time.

This being said, I believe the sky is the limit on this book and at the top of my list for next to purchase before it gets completely out of my reach.  

We've seen it plenty with Hulk #181 as to supply and demand as the supply is high but the demand is even higher and it just keeps going and going in price.   I'm guessing there are a fraction of TOS #39 in circulation compared to Hulk 181 (maybe I'm way off here?) and I do believe IronMan's popularity is still climbing with each and every movie.

Just me rambling,   Any and all thoughts are welcome.   Congrats to all of you with your copy already.  Love looking at each of them and reading the stories attached to them.

On 7/15/2017 at 2:56 PM, Beardown said:

I've read on here before and couldn't agree more that the Marvel cinematic universe is using Iron Man (Tony Stark) as it's centerpiece and it seems they will continue to do so for some time.

This being said, I believe the sky is the limit on this book and at the top of my list for next to purchase before it gets completely out of my reach.  

We've seen it plenty with Hulk #181 as to supply and demand as the supply is high but the demand is even higher and it just keeps going and going in price.   I'm guessing there are a fraction of TOS #39 in circulation compared to Hulk 181 (maybe I'm way off here?) and I do believe IronMan's popularity is still climbing with each and every movie.

Just me rambling,   Any and all thoughts are welcome.   Congrats to all of you with your copy already.  Love looking at each of them and reading the stories attached to them.

I remember seeing somewhere that it wasn't until 1965 that prople started really collecting and buying multiples of marvel books, so I'd say for silver age these are on the rarer side.  

1,839 tos 39 from 1963 graded on the cgc census.

compared to:

4,406 Iron Man #1s from 1968 and

9,529 Incredible Hulk 181's from 1974

6 minutes ago, Beardown said:

Can i ask what the story is regarding having or not having quotation marks ?   Congrats on a great looking book!

Its common for this book (due to imperfect centering / alignment) that the quotations on the right edge are cut off. So better centering = both quotations are visible.  

1 hour ago, SECollector said:

Its common for this book (due to imperfect centering / alignment) that the quotations on the right edge are cut off. So better centering = both quotations are visible.  

I've seen copies lacking the full quotation marks along the right edge that appeared well centered, with the black stripe laying precisely along the spine.  I think that many, but not all, copies with the full quotation marks at the right edge are miswrapped a little front to back.

Here's an example of the former.  The copy has an excellent cover wrap, but the quotations don't fully show along the right edge of the front cover.

TOS39backcgc.JPG.b83e9c43014b8f20a7e0cccdd74e2eeb.JPG

TOS39cgc.JPG

Edited by namisgr

40 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I've seen copies lacking the full quotation marks along the right edge that appeared well centered, with the black stripe laying precisely along the spine.  I think that many, but not all, copies with the full quotation marks at the right edge are miswrapped a little front to back.

Here's an example of the former.  The copy has an excellent cover wrap, but the quotations don't fully show along the right edge of the front cover.

You are most probably right. Thanks for the input and the scans. (thumbsu

On 8/28/2017 at 0:23 PM, namisgr said:

TOS39cgc.JPG

For comparison, my copy shows the two quotation marks. However, your 12 cent circle is complete, whereas mine is slightly cutoff. 

IMG_3707.JPG

On 9/12/2017 at 2:12 PM, Dreamtoreal1 said:

here we go!

IMG_5056.JPG

Congrats on a  great looking book!

I still think this book has so much more room to grow as he is the "center piece" of the whole marvel movie empire and his fan base continues to grow.  

Regardless, a great looking copy of a true silver age classic.

5 hours ago, Beardown said:

Congrats on a  great looking book!

I still think this book has so much more room to grow as he is the "center piece" of the whole marvel movie empire and his fan base continues to grow.  

Regardless, a great looking copy of a true silver age classic.

Yes I agree! With the two Avengers Movies coming up. This book has a lot more potential. let's see what happens in 2018/2019 ;)

I thought the 8.0 copy with "Stan Lee 75" written on the cover looked familiar. I went back and checked a for a copy I sold 6 years ago. If its the same book, maybe a .5 bump with pressing, but it did not have white pages.

Tales of Suspense 39.jpg

Edited by GB
Added info.

No opinions on this sale of this Pacific Coast copy of TOS 39 in the just completed CC auction:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=730880&title=TALESOF SUSPENSE

Or nothing more than just a big yawner and snooze fest  zzzzzz for everybody here since it's not the highest graded copy and there's another 4 copies in the exact same condition.  :bigsmile: