• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TALES OF SUSPENSE #39 CLUB
12 12

536 posts in this topic

Amazing copy and fantastic job on the restoration removal.  

You are the future of our hobby at 16 years old and the biggest reason why I have zero doubt our hobby will be around for a very long time and is in good hands.  

I'm curious, do you collect with a family member or just get the collecting bug on your own?

On 12/18/2023 at 11:05 PM, ixng said:

The holy grail of my collection. Getting this back in March at 16 years old has to be my biggest feat.

Before and after restoration removal done by Phil over at Phantom Restoration.

IMG_3476.thumb.JPG.3aaeda0ddfd68a76e31dbafdd964ddbf.JPG01E82DB1-90C1-477B-9529-EB1A2BA9D13A.thumb.jpg.1f0d9b82ccb2a6a2bff24c69ea8025ca.jpg

On 12/19/2023 at 3:34 AM, Beardown said:

Amazing copy and fantastic job on the restoration removal.  

You are the future of our hobby at 16 years old and the biggest reason why I have zero doubt our hobby will be around for a very long time and is in good hands.  

I'm curious, do you collect with a family member or just get the collecting bug on your own?

To start, thank you so much.

I'm glad you feel that way, and I'll try to do what I can to keep it alive.

To answer your question, by myself. My family introduced me to comic book media, which helped me get into collecting and later reading, but I can't say I have any family who share my interest.

On 12/19/2023 at 7:11 AM, Pyromaniac said:

Very nice! Though I thought they noted on the label any resto or conservation of any kind added..or removed.. I'm happy to see they didn't! Big book! Congrats 

resto removed is, and was never, noted on the label.  

only notes (and label color change)  IF there IS resto /conservation on the book.

On 1/4/2024 at 5:25 PM, comictracker said:

17044071144815285665196786703097.jpg

Nice one👍‼️definitely worthy of the rubber CGC case guard 💰🏆

Good news for those of you who have not yet joined the club: You can win this copy soon at auction and instantly put everyone else in this thread to shame!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/tales-of-suspense-39-marvel-1963-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/p/7369-117010.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Screenshot2024-02-16at11_08_31AM.thumb.png.27d32c4e86f1b6e246bbe2d432425b0f.png

On 2/16/2024 at 11:10 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Good news for those of you who have not yet joined the club: You can win this copy soon at auction and instantly put everyone else in this thread to shame!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/tales-of-suspense-39-marvel-1963-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/p/7369-117010.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

That's trying to do some kind of short term flip - sold for $2mm privately at Comiclink this past September:

https://www.comiclink.com/service_text.asp?3673

On 2/17/2024 at 1:18 PM, DanCooper said:

That's trying to do some kind of short term flip - sold for $2mm privately at Comiclink this past September:

https://www.comiclink.com/service_text.asp?3673

Huge risk putting it up for auction.  I don't think it's going to get $2M in this market -- and keep in mind, depending on what's been negotiated with the house, he needs to get $2.1 - $2.22 million just to break even.

On 2/17/2024 at 5:19 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Huge risk putting it up for auction.  I don't think it's going to get $2M in this market -- and keep in mind, depending on what's been negotiated with the house, he needs to get $2.1 - $2.22 million just to break even.

You think he'll have to pay the house 100/200k to sell the book?  that's pretty steep! they are the ones getting all the attention (and eyes on other listings) from it. regardless of the sale.  IMO

On 2/17/2024 at 5:41 PM, GAMBIT said:

You think he'll have to pay the house 100/200k to sell the book?  that's pretty steep! they are the ones getting all the attention (and eyes on other listings) from it. regardless of the sale.  IMO

Standard commission is 10%.  Most auction houses will negotiate something less for a huge book like this.  But I don't see how they would accept less than 5%.

On 2/18/2024 at 7:34 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Standard commission is 10%.  Most auction houses will negotiate something less for a huge book like this.  But I don't see how they would accept less than 5%.

Heritage will collect 20% (or whatever their going rate is now) from the buyer.  I'd expect the seller to lose that juice, but not anything more.  And with a book this valuable, the seller might also negotiate for a percentage of the buyer's fee.  So I'm with you that something on the order of between 5 and 10% of the hammer price is likely.

Being the only 9.8 in the CGC census, there's no telling what the book might fetch on Heritage, even though it sold last September on another auction site.

Edited by namisgr

Wouldn't it make sense to just sell it privately with the help of one of these major auction houses/dealers? Such a crazy book to own in that grade. There sure has been some spectacular SA keys offered for sake lately.