• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TALES OF SUSPENSE #39 CLUB
12 12

536 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

No opinions on this sale of this Pacific Coast copy of TOS 39 in the just completed CC auction:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=730880&title=TALESOF SUSPENSE

Or nothing more than just a big yawner and snooze fest  zzzzzz for everybody here since it's not the highest graded copy and there's another 4 copies in the exact same condition.  :bigsmile:

Obviously that's rarified air for most collectors ... but a simply gorgeous copy.

I don't know much about the historical value of TOS #39 in that grade, other than what GPA tells me -- a 9.6 apparently sold for $262,900 in November 2013.  Going solely by these two data points, the implication is that the book's value has increased only 5% in four years.  Does that sound right?

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Obviously that's rarified air for most collectors ... but a simply gorgeous copy.

I don't know much about the historical value of TOS #39 in that grade, other than what GPA tells me -- a 9.6 apparently sold for $262,900 in November 2013.  Going solely by these two data points, the implication is that the book's value has increased only 5% in four years.  Does that sound right?

Two data points don't make a trend, so there's no telling from this auction alone where the TOS39 market is heading.

The Pacific Coast copy really is awesome to see.  It's not marred by the pages sticking out, or by having a top edge that looks like a starched collar extending above the interior pages, and the cover paper and colors look great.

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

Two data points don't make a trend, so there's no telling from this auction alone where the TOS39 market is heading.

The Pacific Coast copy really is awesome to see.  It's not marred by the pages sticking out, or by having a top edge that looks like a starched collar extending above the interior pages, and the cover paper and colors look great.

As someone who's looking to buy a solid copy of TOS #39, I'm curious to get your thoughts on something ...

There's been a lot of discussion on this thread about centering on TOS #39.  It seems that on many (most?) copies, some or all of the quotation mark after "IRON MAN!" is cut off.  I've also noticed that some posters pay close attention to whether there is any blue visible below the table in the lower left corner.  The Pacific Coast copy has both of these "flaws," but it seems crazy to give them much weight given the outstanding condition it's in.

My question is whether these details become more of an issue as you go down in grade.  Whatever grade I end up buying (currently targeting 8.0), I would like to end up with a copy that presents well for its grade.  How obsessed should I be about that quotation mark and that blue rectangle?

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

That's up to you, Lou, and your own personal preferences.  Having the quotation marks on the right edge would be nice, but they typically come only when the cover is miswrapped front to back.  The miswrap, in turn, leads to the 12 cent circle being cut off along the spine edge, and some of the front cover showing along the spine of the back.

As for the blue under the table at the bottom left of the cover, my copy had it but it wouldn't have particularly bothered me if it hadn't.  Your mileage may vary.

On 9/17/2017 at 8:53 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

How obsessed should I be about that quotation mark and that blue rectangle?

You shouldn't be.

It's almost a ridiculous talking point at this point.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

On 9/16/2017 at 4:08 PM, GB said:

I thought the 8.0 copy with "Stan Lee 75" written on the cover looked familiar. I went back and checked a for a copy I sold 6 years ago. If its the same book, maybe a .5 bump with pressing, but it did not have white pages.

Tales of Suspense 39.jpg

That is definitely the same book as the 8.0 . That long color breaking crease on the bottom right should have held it at 7.5 ? It's a nice looking book, you should have kept it !

On 9/19/2017 at 6:58 PM, VintageComics said:

You shouldn't be.

It's almost a ridiculous talking point at this point.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It just depends on the person.  I view cover elements that are cut off the same way I'd view a defect.  Sometimes when I think a certain defect doesn't bother me over time all you can see is the defect.  

I knew cut off of the 12c or no quotes would make me mad so I waited for one that worked for me.

34483821221_3ef3672216_h.jpg

4 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

It just depends on the person.  I view cover elements that are cut off the same way I'd view a defect.  Sometimes when I think a certain defect doesn't bother me over time all you can see is the defect.  

I knew cut off of the 12c or no quotes would make me mad so I waited for one that worked for me.

I've always looked at stuff like that as 'normal' and never shied away from it. Miswraps, miscuts, etc. as long as they are not 'ugly' have always been OK with me because they've affected the majorityof books I collected (mainly SA / BA Marvels).

I think that now that the books have become extremely expensive, the focus on differentiating between copies has become more prominent.

18 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I think that now that the books have become extremely expensive, the focus on differentiating between copies has become more prominent.

I totally agree with this.

Also, since I never have multiple copies of a book to choose from when collecting golden age, I enjoy the luxury of being picky with SA. 

shocking comiclink auction results last night on TOS39 in a 4.0. $5,100!! a grand higher than GPA and not even close to the last 4.0 that ended 2 weeks prior. both this one and the one a few weeks ago looked really nice, so this is pretty stunning. so, if it LOOKS like a 5.0, people are willing to pay 5.0 prices?? 

tos39-4.0.jpg

Edited by www.alexgross.com

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

shocking comiclink auction results last night on TOS39 in a 4.0. $5,100!! a grand higher than GPA and not even close to the last 4.0 that ended 2 weeks prior. both this one and the one a few weeks ago looked really nice, so this is pretty stunning. so, if it LOOKS like a 5.0, people are willing to pay 5.0 prices?? 

tos39-4.0.jpg

it presents really well. I got a 4.5 that doesn't look as good as this one.

and this book will start heating up as soon as they drop the Avengers trailer in December so better get those tos39's now

On 10/6/2017 at 1:11 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

so, if it LOOKS like a 5.0, people are willing to pay 5.0 prices?? 

What if the book is a 5.0 sitting in a 4.0 holder?

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

What if the book is a 5.0 sitting in a 4.0 holder?

sure, but (A) you can't even see the back, and (B) there was a nearly identical looking 4.0 auctioned about 2 weeks prior for just over 4k. hence, my surprise. they've had quite a few nice 4.0 TOS 39s on CL the last year. this is still a big leap in price over any of them. how many times has CGC been a whole grade off? 

38 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

sure, but (A) you can't even see the back, and (B) there was a nearly identical looking 4.0 auctioned about 2 weeks prior for just over 4k. hence, my surprise. they've had quite a few nice 4.0 TOS 39s on CL the last year. this is still a big leap in price over any of them. how many times has CGC been a whole grade off? 

Well of course.

Whenever someone says "that book is undergraded" I just shake my head and wonder how they know - because you haven't held the book in hand.

But my point was more towards the fact that books that look strong in grade most of the time sell for strong numbers either because a collector wants a nice looking copy or someone may be buying the book because they think it is undergraded and will upgrade to the next grade level.