• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TALES OF SUSPENSE #39 CLUB
12 12

536 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Comicdey said:

Very pretty.  Has quotes but no blue under the table and yet it still is appealing.  ?

IMG_0537.JPG

Thanks!

Yeah, after asking around about these things earlier in the thread I decided that the blue (or lack thereof) didn't bother me.  Looks like there's a bit of blue in your copy, can't tell from this pic if both halves of the second quote are there.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

5 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

hulk 1 in 6.5 WP, TOS39 in 8.5 OWWP, you're on a spending tear!! whats next? theres a tec27 2.5 coming up on comic link next month lou! 

Really appreciate the kind words!

I still don't own any Golden Age books ... the oldest book I have is Tales to Astonish #13 (first Groot) in 6.0.

Tales to Astonish 13 CGC 9.4.jpg

If I ever decide to buy a Golden Age book, I would probably go after  Captain America Comics #1 or Marvel Comics #1.  (I'm a Make Mine Marvel guy.)

I have a few more Silver Age Marvel grails to track down first, though.  Hoping to make some more headway over the next year or so.  Having a lot of fun doing it, too!

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Really appreciate the kind words!

I still don't own any Golden Age books ... the oldest book I have is Tales to Astonish #13 (first Groot) in 6.0.

Tales to Astonish 13 CGC 9.4.jpg

If I ever decide to buy a Golden Age book, I would probably go after  Captain America Comics #1 or Marvel Comics #1.  (I'm a Make Mine Marvel guy.)

I have a few more Silver Age Marvel grails to track down first, though.  Hoping to make some more headway over the next year or so.  Having a lot of fun doing it, too!

Sounds like an amazing quest. Time to show us a nice group shot of those lovely books? I always enjoy seeing such books gathered together for a family photo :cool:. Your choice of GA books would be my own choices as well - if only funds were unlimited!

1 hour ago, SECollector said:

Sounds like an amazing quest. Time to show us a nice group shot of those lovely books? I always enjoy seeing such books gathered together for a family photo :cool:. Your choice of GA books would be my own choices as well - if only funds were unlimited!

I promise that there will be a group shot once I get just a little further along in my "quest."  Having a lot of fun and it's nice to be able to share my progress with people who "get it."

On 10/25/2017 at 5:09 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
On 10/25/2017 at 12:23 AM, Comicdey said:

Very pretty.  Has quotes but no blue under the table and yet it still is appealing.  ?

Thanks!

Yeah, after asking around about these things earlier in the thread I decided that the blue (or lack thereof) didn't bother me.  Looks like there's a bit of blue in your copy, can't tell from this pic if both halves of the second quote are there.

You guys drive me batty with your obsession over details like this. 

It's a freaking comic book, not a Jaguar or a Porsche! lol

Just now, VintageComics said:

Quotes will get you a Jag. No quotes a VW

On 11/18/2017 at 4:46 PM, VintageComics said:

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't ordinarily have been concerned with such minutiae until I noticed people talking about them here.

It's only prudent to make sure you understand what factors may impact the desirability of your investment before you actually spend the money.  In other words, like it or not the pickiest among us do affect the market for all of us.

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't ordinarily have been concerned with such minutiae until I noticed people talking about them here.

That's something I've made mention of before.

I never used to think about such things until someone mentioned it here on this site and I read it. And it snowballs from there.

Personally, it still doesn't bother me. I'm into comics for the passion and the history and not the minutia.

But I do understand how everyone's tastes are different.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

That's something I've made mention of before.

I never used to think about such things until someone mentioned it here on this site and I read it. And it snowballs from there.

Personally, it still doesn't bother me. I'm into comics for the passion and the history and not the minutia.

But I do understand how everyone's tastes are different.

When I spend five figures on a comic book, I want to make sure that when it's time to sell someday, I won't have to worry that the appeal of the book will be a matter of taste.  I think this is why there's such an obsession with chipping in the AF 15 thread.  The more people talk about that, and the more evidence mounts that chipping or the lack thereof can translate to thousands of dollars in price difference, the gladder I am that my copy doesn't have any.

Now, with that said, over in the X-Men #1 thread I found that the 9.0 copy I recently bought was getting scrutinized for its light green boxes ... and I was momentarily worried that people were talking the book down over it.  But in the end it seemed more a matter of curiosity than a questioning of the book's value or desirability.  I think for most collectors the same is true of the quotes and blue box on TOS #39.  (For the record, my copy has the quotes but no blue visible beneath the table, and that doesn't bother me a bit.)

5 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

When I spend five figures on a comic book, I want to make sure that when it's time to sell someday, I won't have to worry that the appeal of the book will be a matter of taste.  I think this is why there's such an obsession with chipping in the AF 15 thread.  The more people talk about that, and the more evidence mounts that chipping or the lack thereof can translate to thousands of dollars in price difference, the gladder I am that my copy doesn't have any.

That is a product of comics being investments rather than being a hobby.

As a collector I never thought about resale. I thought about owning nice copies.

Unfortunately, as values rise people need to think about resale.

As I said years ago, these books are moving from being collectibles to being artifacts. And artifacts become commodities when the emotion is removed.

5 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I think for most collectors the same is true of the quotes and blue box on TOS #39.  (For the record, my copy has the quotes but no blue visible beneath the table, and that doesn't bother me a bit.)

I've been a collector since 1974 or 1975. I pay no attention to quotes, blue boxes or anything else like that.

Personally, I'd just want a copy with nice greens.

If people continue to focus on such things we're going to jump the shark as a hobby IMO.