• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TALES OF SUSPENSE #39 CLUB
12 12

536 posts in this topic

Beautiful book, but owning that is like holding a ticking time bomb.

The Pacific Coast copy has been in a slab for 15 years now, and it's done just fine so far for each and every owner.

Arguably one of the best, if not THE best SA Pedigree.

I don't see the TOS #39 PC dropping anytime soon. Especially since the Marvel cinematic universe has made Stark it's center. Low and mid grade copies continue to climb which just puts upward pressure on the best of the best.

Hey all,

I am sending this in to get graded soon and am wondering if it would be worth getting it pressed? I see there is a bit of a spine roll but being around a 4.0, is it too fragile to put through that kind of treatment?

Thanks for your opinions TOS39 club!

Some fresh scans of the book above...

OfqsSLF.jpg

3znP0CV.jpg

I don't see any spine roll, but I do see a split on the bottom and it looks like it might be a bit weak further up. You don't want to cause further spine damage and I'm not sure if pressing is going to do much anyway. What are the defects you'd like to see removed?

Looks like a very nice lower grade copy! Congrats!

Beautiful book, but owning that is like holding a ticking time bomb.

The Pacific Coast copy has been in a slab for 15 years now, and it's done just fine so far for each and every owner.

Happened sooner than I thought...BOOM

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9607675&fpart=1

Since you think the book is a ticking time bomb, how much did the current owner of the Pacific Coast 9.6 copy pay for the book, and how much do you think it could fetch in today's market?

Happy to join the club with this copy - one of my all time favourite issues :D

Talesof_Suspense39_CGC65_Newest_zpsumlic5gz.jpg

Very nice centering on that copy! Almost two full quotation marks and a nice strip of blue under the bottom table. Congrats (thumbs u

Happy to join the club with this copy - one of my all time favourite issues :D

Talesof_Suspense39_CGC65_Newest_zpsumlic5gz.jpg

Very nice centering on that copy! Almost two full quotation marks and a nice strip of blue under the bottom table. Congrats (thumbs u

+1

That's definitely a pretty sharp looking copy for only a 6.5 graded book, although it does have that ugly looking label. :censored:

Based upon what I am seeing lately, it looks like CGC would seem to be grading quite a bit tougher in their apparent grading war with the other company. Especially in comparison to their loose grading period from just a few short years ago. :P

From my personal point of view, consistency and accuracy would be much better choices of weapons to use in this apparent grading war. (thumbs u

:bump:

All quiet in this thread and with recent sales.  Are TOS #39 and JIM #83 now relative bargains in the marketplace of Marvel mega-keys, in light of the big price appreciation of AF #15 and Hulk #1?

On 2017-03-23 at 6:30 AM, namisgr said:

All quiet in this thread and with recent sales.  Are TOS #39 and JIM #83 now relative bargains in the marketplace of Marvel mega-keys, in light of the big price appreciation of AF #15 and Hulk #1?

I think so.  I plan to add a JIM83 later this year.

On 3/23/2017 at 5:30 AM, namisgr said:

I wouldn't say a bargain.  I recently bought both a TOS39 and a JIM 83, TOS was a lot tougher to find "presentable" in low grade.  Many more JIM were available for me to choose from.   I'd guess TOS39 is more popular than JIM83 at entry level.  I felt like at entry level, 1.0-3.0 JIM and TOS were 1-3k less than Hulk 1s and ASM1s , and 4-6k less than AF15.  Or something like that....